Well, I did it! - Page 2

Well, I did it!

This is a discussion on Well, I did it! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gasmitty Congratulations! Lots of recipes out there for .45 using 231 and Titegroup, I'll be happy to provide some if you'd like. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Well, I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Congratulations! Lots of recipes out there for .45 using 231 and Titegroup, I'll be happy to provide some if you'd like.
    That would be nice to have, sure.

I know I won't be using any plain lead so keep that in mind. Normal for me is full metal jacket round nose. I hate cleaning lead fouling! BTDT too many times out of my S&W airweight.

Looks like a very solid firearm. Enjoy it!
    oldIthink likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    That would be nice to have, sure.

I know I won't be using any plain lead so keep that in mind. Normal for me is full metal jacket round nose. I hate cleaning lead fouling! BTDT too many times out of my S&W airweight.
    I've been using polymer-coated bullets almost exclusively in the .45s for about 4 years now. No leading whatsoever, and they chrono faster than plated bullets! I get mine from Bayou Bullets, but Blue Bullets is another good supplier.

Using Titegroup:
    185 gr bullet, 5.0 gr - 882 ft/sec; 5.3 gr - 940
    200 gr bullet, 4.7 gr - 863; 5.0 gr - 911
    230 gr bullet, 4.0 gr - 755; 4.4 gr, 802.

With 231:
    200 gr bullet, 5.2 gr, 849; 5.6 gr - 906.

All seated to OAL of 1.250", except 230 gr - seated to 1.225" OAL.

I didn't experiment over the full range of velocities for each bullet weight or powder, as these were developed for competition purposes (power factor, consistent velocities, decent accuracy). I shoot mostly 200 SWCs but lately have been experimenting with 230s. The 185s are definitely snappier in recoil.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I put HP38 behind all of my .45 range ammo. The w231 should work well. I have a couple pounds of titegeoup but have never loaded it.
    oldIthink likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Nice looking piece that's for sure.
    I reload 230gr jacketed with Alliant Bullseye been happy with that combo for a while.
    Yep seems like forever I have used, 4 grains of bullseye with a 230 FMJ, accurate and soft shooting.

Great choice OP, that is a fine 1911 congrats!

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Congrats, nice choice. Good sights, extended thumb safety, and a beavertail grip safety. All the basics for a nice, comfortable shooting 1911.

5gr of WW231 or HP38 behind a 200gr H&G style SWC lead or plated bullet is a nice plinking load and 5.8gr behind the same bullet will make 175PF IPSC major which is still a bit lighter than 230gr ball milspec.

ETA - In the 10's of thousands of 200gr H&G 68 cast lead bullets I've fired out of 1911's I've never had to clean lead out of one. Don't worry about lead in a 1911.
    oldIthink likes this.
    Joe

I have that! Swapped out full guide rod for a GI length and a plug. Darn-near perfect!
    msgt/ret, QKShooter and oldIthink like this.
    Still Clingin'

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I like the forward serrations. I have them on my XSE and really like the additional purchase they provide. I also like stainless!
    Half a "like" for you.
    Love Stainless - not a fan of the foreword nutmeg grater.

Nice pistol overall though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I've been using polymer-coated bullets almost exclusively in the .45s for about 4 years now. No leading whatsoever, and they chrono faster than plated bullets! I get mine from Bayou Bullets, but Blue Bullets is another good supplier.

Using Titegroup:
    185 gr bullet, 5.0 gr - 882 ft/sec; 5.3 gr - 940
    200 gr bullet, 4.7 gr - 863; 5.0 gr - 911
    230 gr bullet, 4.0 gr - 755; 4.4 gr, 802.

With 231:
    200 gr bullet, 5.2 gr, 849; 5.6 gr - 906.

All seated to OAL of 1.250", except 230 gr - seated to 1.225" OAL.

I didn't experiment over the full range of velocities for each bullet weight or powder, as these were developed for competition purposes (power factor, consistent velocities, decent accuracy). I shoot mostly 200 SWCs but lately have been experimenting with 230s. The 185s are definitely snappier in recoil.
    Thanks! Never heard of that polymer coating. I've used jacketed exclusively in my 9mm's. The wadcutters in my S&W soured me bad on waxed lead. I haven't loaded that caliber since.

I'll double-check all these recipes just for my peace of mind. Sometimes I've used hollow base 9mm, all I know is they used a slightly different charge. Likely won't matter any.

You lost me at power factor lol! I've never concerned myself with speeds or all that competition requires, I just enjoy watching dirt jump.

Senior Moderator
    Certain shooting disciplines differentiate between heavier and lighter calibers/loads, others don't. In USPSA, "major" power factor is 165 - bullet weight in grains times measured velocity in ft/sec, divided by 1000. So if I shoot 200 gr bullets, their minimum velocity needs to be 825 ft/sec. "Minor" power factor is a minimum or 125, up to 164. Scoring on paper targets is the same for A-zone hits, but for C and D zone hits, minor PF gives up 1 point vs major PF, in recognition of the greater recoil of the heavier calibers. In most steel games, there's no such differentiation, a hit is a hit, regardless of caliber or power.

You owe it to yourself to check out coated bullets. Saving a tenth of a grain of powder per shot won't save you much, but saving 2-3 cents a round for the bullet adds up if you shoot a lot.
    oldIthink likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Solid choice, congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to your range report.
    oldIthink likes this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BentLink View Post
    I have that! Swapped out full guide rod for a GI length and a plug. Darn-near perfect!
    I was thinking of doing that sometime. It depends on how frustrating it really is with the full length from what I've been reading.

But I suppose I need to run some rounds through it before I start voiding the warranty...

Any suggestions on which guide to get? Or is that a seriously rookie question..

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Half a "like" for you.
    Love Stainless - not a fan of the foreword nutmeg grater.

Nice pistol overall though.
    I've always liked SS. Maybe because my first revolver (Ruger security-six .357 4") was stainless (or shiny nickle?) I always thought revolvers looked better bright and shiny, and semi's looked better blued. After perusing countless pistolas and comparing finish's I just decided I liked this one better. And SS is more durable (supposedly). As for the forward skin remover, time will tell. There's more fish to be had out there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links