Just bought the CMMG 5.7 AR conversion

This is a discussion on Just bought the CMMG 5.7 AR conversion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I did it. Pulled the trigger on the CMMG conversion kit for the AR that allows you to shoot 5.7x28 through any AR lower ...

Thread: Just bought the CMMG 5.7 AR conversion

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Well, I did it. Pulled the trigger on the CMMG conversion kit for the AR that allows you to shoot 5.7x28 through any AR lower of your choice. Barrel, bolt, and three mags for $499. I know, pricey.

The barrel I got from them is the 5” one, and I will install it into a bare bones upper with a 7” handguard. I plan to be using a Rugged Oculus 22 suppressor under the handguard. This will all go on an sbr’d lower.

The goal here is to have a lightweight high capacity semi auto that shoots a round that has a bit more oomph than a 22lr, but not as much blast and noise as a 5.56. Initially I was looking hard at a 22mag, but it’s just so darn hard to find a reliable semi auto that is in a configuration that I want (and actually reliable). I almost got a CZ 512, and looked at the Keltec CMR but just couldn’t do it.

With 5.7 becoming cheaper hopefully I think it will fit that niche nicely. I have shot it suppressed before with a 22 can and it is surprisingly pleasant, sort of like a standard velocity unsuppressed 22lr from a bolt gun.

I am super excited, kind of like a little kid. I’ll post pictures when I get it all assembled and shot!
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

I would be interested to hear what you think of it once you get it put together.

I worked with one of the original 5.7 AR-15 conversion uppers years ago. I was impressed with how it functioned. Can't beat the FN 50 round magazine either for its compactness and reliability. I would imagine with Ruger entering the 5.7 market with their pistol, Ruger brand 5.7 ammo isn't far away. This will further lower the price of 5.7 ammo across the board. Not a bad thing.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Sponsored Links