Grand Power Experiences ( 10mm )

This is a discussion on Grand Power Experiences ( 10mm ) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Continually have my eye on 10mm. I like the Glock 20 fine. Also the XDM 4.5", particularly the fully supported barrel part of this gun. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By flphotog

Thread: Grand Power Experiences ( 10mm )

Continually have my eye on 10mm. I like the Glock 20 fine. Also the XDM 4.5", particularly the fully supported barrel part of this gun.

I know there are some 1911-style 10mm out there. Also Tanfoglio / EAA Witness and also Grand Power P40 / P40L.

My understanding is that the Witness is a CZ-style gun, but there is no decocker on it. Not sure I really care for that on a DA/SA pistol as I can't see myself attempting a manual decock for DA mode.

So that pretty much leaves Grand Power P40. Of which I just can't seem to find much about. The rotating barrel is unique. DA/SA with decocker, and the safety apparently allows you to also set it to full time DA mode if you desired.

The few reviews out there seem to indicate these are decent guns.

Anyone here own one, even if not in 10mm?

Pricing isn't much different from the XDM, and people talk about rotating barrels helping recoil, which might be nice with a higher powered round.

This would mainly be a hiking / woods gun and some range time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome10 View Post
    Continually have my eye on 10mm. I like the Glock 20 fine. Also the XDM 4.5", particularly the fully supported barrel part of this gun.

I know there are some 1911-style 10mm out there. Also Tanfoglio / EAA Witness and also Grand Power P40 / P40L.

My understanding is that the Witness is a CZ-style gun, but there is no decocker on it. Not sure I really care for that on a DA/SA pistol as I can't see myself attempting a manual decock for DA mode.

So that pretty much leaves Grand Power P40. Of which I just can't seem to find much about. The rotating barrel is unique. DA/SA with decocker, and the safety apparently allows you to also set it to full time DA mode if you desired.

Pricing isn't much different from the XDM, and people talk about rotating barrels helping recoil, which might be nice with a higher powered round.

I have the Springfield Armory 10 mm. Love it. I have the 6 inch barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a P40, but I do have a K100 XTrim in 9mm. The pistol is very, very nice. Machining, fit, function etc. all are top notch. The only thing is they have a different break down procedure for cleaning, but it's not as bad as some claim once you learn how to do it. Keep in mind that GP changed distributors in the US not long ago and I have not seen many (more like any) of them for sale since the change.

The rotating barrel is similar, but still different from Beretta's design. The GP rotates its barrel around a frame mounted pin, where the Beretta uses a recoil spring block and a lug in the barrel to create rotation. I personally don't think either actually mitigate recoil, rather they simply distribute it differently. They are not inexpensive and with their questionable availability of either the pistols, or parts and/or service, I would personally look elsewhere for a hiking/woods offering.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have two Colt Delta Elites, a Ruger GP100 Match Champion revolver, an S&W 1006, and a Springfield Armory TRP Operator in 10mm. If I wanted a higher capacity 10mm semi-auto for woods carry, my preference would be a Glock G40 10mm with a G20 or a SA XDM as a second choice..

My woods conceal carry gun is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. I have other .44 magnum and .454 Casull revolvers for woods open carry.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar

I carry all of my DA/SA pistols cocked and locked, no need for a decocker.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Sponsored Links