So anti gunner people I know are asking me to help them pick out a gun...

This is a discussion on So anti gunner people I know are asking me to help them pick out a gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; lol! They finally realized that when things really go down, the cops aren't gonna be their bodyguards. I laughed quietly to myself. Yes, I did ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: So anti gunner people I know are asking me to help them pick out a gun...

lol! They finally realized that when things really go down, the cops aren't gonna be their bodyguards. I laughed quietly to myself. Yes, I did helped them.

VIP Member
    Keltec, Bersa, Taurus, the possibilities are endless.
    CDRGlock, hick63, MMinSC and 12 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Good for you! Pretty much all my family is gun-friendly. I didn't know my brother-in-law carried until going up there for his wedding. He carries a .380. Even the wife's cousin and husband from (GASP!) NY are gun-friendly! And he's a local politician! At church, everyone I've talked to is already gun-friendly, but none have actually taken the next step and tested out a few pistols. I've had one woman ask what I recommend and I made a list of some good ones to rent, semis and revolvers, and fire at the two local ranges.
    M1911A1, ETXhiker and Sportymonk like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    But...But...Don't forget High Point
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by soulless80 View Post
    lol! They finally realized that when things really go down, the cops aren't gonna be their bodyguards. I laughed quietly to myself. Yes, I did helped them.
    Well that is the way to win over more people to the cause that gun control helps no one.

For beginners I start them on a 22 LR rifle (Ruger-10/22 or Sig Sauer 522 SWAT) because noise and recoil are minimal. Then, I have them shoot my Mark IV. If they’re doing ok with that, I put a medium frame 357 Magnum into their hands with 38 Special and/or a CZ 75 SP-01 9 mm.

I took a colleague and her husband to the range a few years back. She was at Virginia Tech during the massacre. She was so fearful, but afterwards, she was very comfortable with firearms.

My father in law was anti gun, too. I took him and my mother in law to the range. He was shocked that there were families there shooting together. He was amazed that the demographic was similar to people going to a bowling alley. He shot some pistols, a 22 LR rifle and the AR 15. At the end, he said, “I’m glad you took me here. I enjoyed it. I never knew it would be like this.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Last year I took an older gay couple shooting. One of them works for the same company I work for. I rarely see him, but have worked with him for a decade. He approached me one day and asked if I would take him and his partner shooting and show him how to use some guns they had. Lo and behold his partner had a Colt Python and two nickel S&W 27 revolvers and a stainless Ruger Mark 2 with a 10” barrel. He also had a lot of reloaded ammo. One box was labeled .357 penetrator. Apparently his late father was a gun guy.

I taught them the Four safety rules and started them out on the .22 Ruger. I had them shooting the plate rack with it and I could tell they were having fun. Then I showed them how to operate the revolvers. I offered to clean their guns for them and return them the next day. I couldn’t stand the thought of them being put away dirty.

Well they gave me the stainless Mark 2 and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    But...But...Don't forget High Point
    But high points are actually reliable!

They might like a yeet cannon.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I agree! The High Point C-9 my uncle gave me is extremely reliable.

Unless I want to shoot the second, third, fourth, and fifth rounds from the magazine.

But other than that, it's 100% reliable!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wow, someone does not like their friends.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Quote Originally Posted by soulless80 View Post
    I hope you strongly suggested that they get good training w/ their purchase.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Good for you. Many of these antis have simply been brainwashed by what they have heard repeatedly.

Times like these, everyone gets a refresher on why we are free and what that means. Not everyone lives like we all do.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

So we had a local news crew standing out front of the LGS asking people what they wanted.... The overwhelming answer was Black! They did not care if it was a rifle , pistol, or shotgun as long as they got one! A lot of people were shocked that they would have to wait 10 days! And wasn't there some kind of loophole? Now the news guy was kind of leading them, but still...... DR
    baren, M1911A1, Tundra5.7 and 6 others like this.

As others have said, good for you. But it’s also very incumbent on you to urge them to get TRAINED by someone competent.

I’ve been an NRA Instructor for over 31 years. Before that I was an Army Infantry Officer. On active duty besides my normal duties as a rifle platoon leader, I was XO (Second in Command) of the 9th Infantry Division Pistol Team for a season. I earned that posting by virtue of post wide competition. That was in 1983.

Even now, I continue to train and push myself to greater levels of competency. I’ve now taken five advanced instructor level courses at the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, New Hampshire since 2012.

In addition to that, I was an actual social studies educator for 30 years in the fourth largest school district in the nation. I retired from that in 2018. But I have very high standards for folks who teach gun handling and safety. That’s probably why I never got my Training Counselor credentials. I’d probably not allow most folks who think they know guns and think they know how to teach, on the public!

Everyone who carries a gun for self defense, Hunting or even target shooting should be formally trained by professional level instructors. That doesn’t include street level law enforcement, either! God love ‘em, but street cops are NOT instructors.

There’s a reason that firearms training in the police academy has no scoring levels. It’s Pass/Fail. That’s all about liability and avoiding lawsuits. Not a lot of competence. Those parameters do not apply to the police special units such as SWAT, Warrant Squad, Narcotics etc. But those special units, while better trained at gun handling and survival tactics, are not necessarily equipped to be competent Instructors! That’s where the NRA comes in as a very BASIC level. But also included as tiers above are the shooting schools like: The Sig Sauer Academy, Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. I don’t know if the Lethal Force Institute is still in operation. But these are the top schools in the nation. Now that I’ve worked my way through the Sig Academy, I’d like to go to Gunsite, next.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Wow, someone does not like their friends.
    My shooting friends are set already. My non-shooting friends aren't going to become shooters as a result of the current circumstances, so why have them waste money on top-shelf stuff they won't ever actually use anyway.

True story--a couple we are friends with decided about six years ago that they needed to gun up. They each purchased a Glock 17 and a safe to lock them up in. They then took the class and got their CHLs. The Glocks haven't been out of the safe once since then, despite my repeated offers of instruction and range time. They shoulda bought HiPoints.
    Recon1342, OldVet, OD* and 7 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links