Panic buying ammo - Page 3

Panic buying ammo

This is a discussion on Panic buying ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is something of a rarity that a president is replaced by a member of the same party, short or a death in office or ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Panic buying ammo

It is something of a rarity that a president is replaced by a member of the same party, short or a death in office or resignation. It's usually out with the old, in with the new--for better or worse.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I guess my full autoís will be taking a long nap in the safe for a long while

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Gun owners in december: ďreloading 9mm is not worth the savingsĒ.

Gun owners in march: ďanyone know who has 9mm in stock? Ē

That would be me. I always say the 9mm is not worth my time to reload for. But here we are in the apocalypse.....and I still say it.
    I have plenty in stock because it was cheap to buy last year.

I reserve my time and effort on handloading for more preferred stuff!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    That would be me. I always say the 9mm is not worth my time to reload for. But here we are in the apocalypse.....and I still say it.
    No more to it than that. I have absolutely no sympathy for those currently scrambling to acquire ammo. People who saw no need to buy more than the box or two they were planning on shooting are the same ones who were filling up shopping carts with toilet paper when it was still there to be had.
    G-man*, airslot, Havok and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

But just think of how much more you could have for the same price!
    If you have plenty of it and donít shoot it much then that works for you. Iím going through more .45 than 9mm, and I have a lot of both, but I can easily find anything that I want to buy right now where as a lot of people canít, and depending on how long the shortage goes, may eventually start to run low.

You load on a single stage though donít you?
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

I picked up 4000 rounds of 9mm last year when I found it on sale/free shipping or both. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the range as much as I had planned. Fortunately, I still have a very good supply.

Most of my reloading is geared toward the rifles, with the exception of the wheel guns and I have components for many thousands of rounds.
    Arejay and forester58 like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I have plenty of range rounds but don't have a large stock of defensive rounds. Probably the same story for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    I have plenty of range rounds but don't have a large stock of defensive rounds. Probably the same story for most people.
    Half of what I ordered was 115HP. Not my normal load but, it'll get er done.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    I bought cases of Golden Saber +P in both carry calibers.
    airslot likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    But just think of how much more you could have for the same price!
    If you have plenty of it and donít shoot it much then that works for you. Iím going through more .45 than 9mm, and I have a lot of both, but I can easily find anything that I want to buy right now where as a lot of people canít, and depending on how long the shortage goes, may eventually start to run low.

You load on a single stage though donít you?
    Lol, I bought all I wanted when I bought it, not all that I could afford.

Yes, I load all my stuff on a single stage press that I have used for 35 years /+- .
    I will shoot 2-300 rounds a week with what I load on the press, plus have enough components on hand to assemble thousands of 45Auto, of which I loaded 300 yesterday, and will put together another 250 this afternoon.

I have about 6 1/2 cases of 9mm and a few cases of 5.56 that will last me for a long time. The 5.56 will probably never be used since I donít shoot the ARís more than a couple of shots every year to verify the zero. The 9 and 5.56 are pretty generic stuff which gives me little satisfaction to shoot, and are only stockpiled for SHTF type stuff.

I even have lead ingots and casting supplies to make my own bullets, but I generally just order those online.
    Havok and airslot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Lol, I bought all I wanted when I bought it, not all that I could afford.

Yes, I load all my stuff on a single stage press that I have used for 35 years /+- .
    I will shoot 2-300 rounds a week with what I load on the press, plus have enough components on hand to assemble thousands of 45Auto, of which I loaded 300 yesterday, and will put together another 250 this afternoon.

I have about 6 1/2 cases of 9mm and a few cases of 5.56 that will last me for a long time. The 5.56 will probably never be used since I donít shoot the ARís more than a couple of shots every year to verify the zero. The 9 and 5.56 are pretty generic stuff which gives me little satisfaction to shoot, and are only stockpiled for SHTF type stuff.

I even have lead ingots and casting supplies to make my own bullets, but I generally just order those online.
    If I loaded on a single stage Id probably have the same opinion as you. Id lose my mind loading 9mm on one of those.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    All the experienced folks here do not panic buy ammo.
    Now I did step out today to pick up a stack of whisky and whiskey.
    Balvenie 15 yr
    Macallen 12yr
    Jeffersonís Reserve Ocean
    TX whiskey cask strength
    Balicones 100 proof
    That should get me through the next two weeks
    Same here!

But, I swear, if this whole thing causes me to go through my stock of Weller 107 and Ardbeg Uigeadail, I'm gonna be livid.
    LimaCharlie likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Dropped a brick of 22lr off for a neighbor yesterday. He had a fire last summer that destroyed his shop where most of his firearms and ammunition were stored.

A lesson learned, store firearms and ammunition in more than one place if at all possible. Has been a few years since my house fire. I lost 2/3 of my gun collection but only a small part of my ammunition stock.
    airslot likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    Once things calm down again (and they will), expect to see plenty of new, unfired guns on the market at good prices. That's because the sheep will look at their panic-acquired guns and it'll only do one thing: remind them of this scary event.
    Texron likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

After the last ammo scare where it was hard to find and when you did at an inflated price I decided that between purchasing ammo and loading my own I would not find myself in that situation again. I was fortunate enough to find enough time to load so that I am stocked up very well for all the pistol calibers with the exception of 38 special which is a caliber we do not shoot a ton. I do not have a lot of 30-06 ammo loaded but I do not shoot that a lot and usually only to make sure it is zeroed in for hunting. If needed I do have quite a bit of brass and components for that to load. I have loaded quite a bit of 9mm even though it is not super cost effective but I enjoy the process and can't see not loading for the round we shoot the most. I do have some components on the way to load some 375 Winchester even though I do not plan on shooting that all that much.
    G-man* likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links