Dry Firing During the Coronavirus Quarantine - Page 2

Dry Firing During the Coronavirus Quarantine

This is a discussion on Dry Firing During the Coronavirus Quarantine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Nifty On conference calls, especially the real boring ones, I clear my pistol, over and over and over. Sometimes I forget to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Dry Firing During the Coronavirus Quarantine

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    On conference calls, especially the real boring ones, I clear my pistol, over and over and over. Sometimes I forget to mute the mike.
    You're not alone, brother!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I do a few dry fire sessions a week, all the time. Usually seeking perfection for dry fire. A plus sign drawn on an index card with a sharpie and tape to the wall, aim for the intersection. Or pencil drill.

For practical stuff like drawing and firing, transitions and such I use my Glock 19 bb pistol in the backyard. It is great for that ind of stuff.

Fun is air pistol silhoulette and 10 meter air pistol in the backyard. I will probably buy a 10 meter air rifle at some point as well.

These aren't Corona activities. I do it regularly because I like it and regardless of how often I go to the range. Or how often I don't go during this recent unpleasantness.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I have about 5 hours of conference calls tomorrow... this is extremely tempting! The iTarget is about 5 yards across the room. :)
    You're not alone...I think the higher ups thinks it's a way to ensure those of us placed on telework are working...."virtual mtgs" complete with slides and desktop chat.

It's the next best thing to being there.

I think I'll do the same, I just cleaned my match pistol so the least I can do is dry-fire during my 1400 DCS session.
    homo homini lupus est

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    You're not alone...I think the higher ups thinks it's a way to ensure those of us placed on telework are working...."virtual mtgs" complete with slides and desktop chat.

It's the next best thing to being there.

I think I'll do the same, I just cleaned my match pistol so the least I can do is dry-fire during my 1400 DCS session.
    Mea culpa, I'm the higher up driving this one. We hold a weeklong orientation for new leaders in my career field every year at the Pentagon. It helps new squadron commanders, CMSgt's, and MAJCOM/COCOM/Component Directors prepare for their key roles and get to know the people on the other end of the phone. For obvious reasons we cancelled the in-person conference, but many wanted the info anyway. So I directed my staff to distro the full set of orientation info and offer talking through it on WebEx. Many recipients said they wanted it by teleconference if possible, so that's what we're offering (not directed) and about 3/4 of the newbies joined in today. We compressed 3 days into 2 five hour web meetings of about 50 people. One more day to go.

So today I practiced drawing from seated and presenting left and right. I was only unmuted once while cycling the chamber. A few recognized it and laughed.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Laser training cartridge and iTarget app. You can make your own cell phone mount and target holder easily enough. I've been looki8ng for mine lately. Haven't seen it since a trip in July.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I've been dry firing since before COVID-19 was a thing.

Since before COVID, I decided to make my dry fire practice more consistent. For a long time, I had been dry firing, at least twice a week, with my pistol, but in February, I decided to add my rifle to it, as well as make it a nightly commitment.
    Over the last three months, I have to say, my average score with my duty rifle (Mini-14) has gone up from 119/125 to 123/125. My arc of wobble has gotten smaller, and split times are quicker (I don't time my splits, but I'm shooting 30-45-60 seconds five round strings, in about 4-5 seconds, where previously, I was shooting them in about 8-9 seconds. That includes cycling a round from the duty carry condition.)

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I dry fire practice just about every day even before COVID-19. I use a laser targeting system with my pistols for practice at home.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    I dry fire practice just about every day even before COVID-19. I use a laser targeting system with my pistols for practice at home.
    I have the itarget, like someone else mentioned. The only caution I would give for lasers, is the training scar of looking where your shot hits. itarget, records where your shot "hits". If you just have a laser, without the ability to memorialize shot placement, you are training yourself to take your eyes off your sights, and look, after every shot breaks. Lack of follow through, can be just as bad as anticipation for missed shots. Remember, every shot ends, with a follow-up sight picture, and trigger reset.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Many, many decades ago, I had a high school biology instructor who had his own hunting cabin. It was still close enough to civilization he could get TV reception, black and white, through a rabbit ear antenna, of course. In the evenings, he would drink beer and dry fire a .45 at the TV screen.

You guessed it. One night he did not clear the pistol. It made quite a mess out of the TV!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

My wife frequently reminds me not to go Elvis on the television when the news is on.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

The gun is irrelevant to the post but it’s the only pic I have of the target. I have 6 of those on the inside of my garage door in my man cave and some small “plates” that I dry fire with for 3-gun and IDPA. Got them with Ben Stoegers book. I have seen them pay off big time when I am disciplined using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    No quarantine for me but I did a one month furlough.
    Did no shooting, but spent the time staring a greenhouse and a chicken coop.
    Did a little 4-wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links