Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?

This is a discussion on Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An elderly widow in the neighborhood is having an estate sale of sorts, selling off a lot of stuff that belonged to her late husband. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?

VIP Member

An elderly widow in the neighborhood is having an estate sale of sorts, selling off a lot of stuff that belonged to her late husband. He had a few guns, none of which really interested me much, but there was an old 1911 that caught my eye. Other than a few scuff marks on the slide, it's in pretty good shape, and has a really nice smooth action, but it's some no-name brand I never heard of; "S. MFG Co., Elizabethtown, NJ". Anybody know who "S. MFG Co." is, or if this pistol is worth fooling with?

The woman is well into her 90's, and doesn't seem to know (or care) much about her late husband's stuff. Her nephew is basically running the sale, and he says he believes his uncle brought the pistol back from WWII. The right side of the frame is stamped, "UNITED STATES PROPERTY M1911 A1 U.S. ARMY", and has a Serial Number below it, so I guess it's believable that it was a military issue weapon.

I couldn't get a very good pic, as the lighting was poor in the lady's garage:

Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?-s.mfg-3-.jpg

They're asking $500, but I think if they still have it tomorrow, I may go back and offer $400 or $450. Anyone have a feel for whether this is a decent pistol? I figure just about any 1911 in good working order is worth $450, but I don't want to drop the cash if it's junk.

Your thoughts?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

It was made by Singer, buy it. If you don't like it, let me know.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

On second thought, you might want to tell them what they have.

Rock Island Auction Sold for $172,500
    Nmuskier, Tstone, OD* and 1 others like this.

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    If that is a genuine, original, and otherwise correct Singer the $500 price tag is less than 1/10th of 1% of its fair market value.

I own 29 M1911 and M1911A-1 pistols from pre-WW1 through WW2. I have never had the thrill of seeing an actual Singer pistol. Again, if it is genuine and correct you are potentially looking at the value of a modest house in a decent neighborhood.

Beware of counterfeits! Singer completed only about 500 pistols during WW2, very few survive (and even fewer in original configuration), and the upward end of the market is limited only by whatever price tag you decide to place on it. The Singer Sewing Machine Company was contracted for pistol production, just as Remington-Rand, Ithaca, and Union Switch & Signal Company were, as well as a dozen other subcontractors for various parts (High Standard barrels, Keyes grips, American Pin Company magazines, Little, Risdon, and others).

Hell, even if it is a counterfeit I would give $500 for it, just to have an example in my collection to show how far people will go to rip other people off.

My thoughts are along what others have already posted. I'd buy it immediately, but I've been known to impulse buy before. This is one I wouldn't pass on. Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?-screenshot_2020-03-31-23-56-51.jpeg

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    airslot, msgt/ret and Kilowatt3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    An elderly widow in the neighborhood is having an estate sale of sorts, selling off a lot of stuff that belonged to her late husband. He had a few guns, none of which really interested me much, but there was an old 1911 that caught my eye. Other than a few scuff marks on the slide, it's in pretty good shape, and has a really nice smooth action, but it's some no-name brand I never heard of; "S. MFG Co., Elizabethtown, NJ". Anybody know who "S. MFG Co." is, or if this pistol is worth fooling with?

The woman is well into her 90's, and doesn't seem to know (or care) much about her late husband's stuff. Her nephew is basically running the sale, and he says he believes his uncle brought the pistol back from WWII. The right side of the frame is stamped, "UNITED STATES PROPERTY M1911 A1 U.S. ARMY", and has a Serial Number below it, so I guess it's believable that it was a military issue weapon.

I couldn't get a very good pic, as the lighting was poor in the lady's garage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.MFG (3).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	319994

They're asking $500, but I think if they still have it tomorrow, I may go back and offer $400 or $450. Anyone have a feel for whether this is a decent pistol? I figure just about any 1911 in good working order is worth $450, but I don't want to drop the cash if it's junk.

Your thoughts?
    I think it may be the real deal. ColtAutos.com
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Are you sure you're not trying to get the jump on April Fools?

Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?-319994d1585711723-old-off-brand-1911-should-i-buy-s.mfg-3-.jpg
    airslot, maxwell97, PEF and 9 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

MJK
    As painful as it might be, consider informing the seller of its true value as a matter of doing whatís right. If they are still willing to sell it at a low price then buy it.
    airslot, 5lima30ret, mkh and 3 others like this.
    ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Iíll kill you all."
    ó James ďMad DogĒ Mattis

PAcanis, Nmuskier, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Hook, line and sinker.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    The problem I see is that to my knowledge, none of the singers were ever issued and I think all of them have been accounted for, but I could be wrong on that, I don't claim to be an expert. There were an unknown number made for employees but I don't think any of those had serial numbers.
    What is the serial number on this one?
    Kilowatt3 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    On second thought, you might want to tell them what they have.

Rock Island Auction Sold for $172,500
    Singer serial number 800221 sold for $414,000 back in 2017. https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...uring-co-model
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    The problem I see is that to my knowledge, none of the singers were ever issued and I think all of them have been accounted for, but I could be wrong on that, I don't claim to be an expert. There were an unknown number made for employees but I don't think any of those had serial numbers.
    What is the serial number on this one?
    The Singer's were in fact issued, most to the U.S. Army Air Corps squadrons.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nicely played, Jim.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Are you sure you're not trying to get the jump on April Fools?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	319994d1585711723-old-off-brand-1911-should-i-buy-s.mfg-3-.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	320002
    As a matter of fact, Bryan, I was! Was thinking the thread would go on a little longer before I got 'outed'!

Old Off-Brand 1911 - Should I Buy It?-april-fool.jpg
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links