Salute your locally-owned gun shop!

Salute your locally-owned gun shop!

This is a discussion on Salute your locally-owned gun shop! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While the big-box retailers run for cover, you'll find your local firearms shop standing up - and opening up - for us . For those ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Salute your locally-owned gun shop!

Thumbs up Salute your locally-owned gun shop!

While the big-box retailers run for cover, you'll find your local firearms shop standing up - and opening up - for us. For those "Main Street" family businesses, selling firearms and ammunition is not an easy business to be in. Big box store competition, anti-gun political pressure, and low margins lead, more often then not, to a skinny number in the SE corner of the balance sheet. And yet, they hang in there; as much for the love of the work and the products as for the living it provides. I'd like to kick off this thread, my first, by saluting my local gun store, and I'm hoping you'll do the same. Thank you!

Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods, Dallas, Texas

PS - I have no financial or business relationship with this this store outside of being a customer. I appreciate them and their commitment to us.
    Last edited by DeWittRM; April 18th, 2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Disclaimer

I am thinking that this part of the State just gave the governor a finger salute and told him were to stick it. I went to town,need a ride. It is a mad house. People cars, motorcycles everywhere. What virus?
    The Fleet farm gun counter had 4 people working and the place was as busy as I have even seen it. That place is no small gun operation. Plenty of weapons to choose from.

Fleet frame , well stock lot of verity open and getting you out the door with your new firearm fast.
    OldChap likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

VIP Member
    Shout out to Gunmaster in Plano.
    Old school local gun shop.
    Has been open for the community

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Name:  13906630_1427885400561313_8176805184655794992_n.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  8.9 KB

Oglesby & Oglesby 744 W Andrew Rd, Springfield, IL 62707

I've know Bill Oglesby (Badlands Bill) since the mid 1980's and you've probably seen him doing exhibition shooting on the History Channel years ago. He's done some work for me on a few handguns and even put a remarkable trigger job on a 1967 Winchester Canadian Centennial for me. When cowboy shooting became popular Bill actually paid for a town to be built as props and we transported it to our club yearly for regional shoots he would organize. I was the president of the club where they were held for 4 or 5 years and found the manpower needed. The first year Bill even made the guns available for free as loaners to those who wanted to try it out. I realize he benefited from the extra business, but this is still far above what anyone could expect from a local gunshop. It has been my pleasure to know Bill and witness his remarkable shooting abilities as well as his humor, knowledge and gunsmithing skills. I always try to remember to check with Bill before I buy any firearm first in case he may have something available or knowledge to steer me away from my latest and greatest ideas.

I still laugh about the time I went into his shop with one of those single shot H&R type 12 gauges. I picked a used one up on a whim somewhere thinking it would be great for stalking turkeys on my belly as I've been know to do at times. It had adj sights and a 3 1/2" chamber and a full choke. One time when the guys at work all got together to go shooting, someone actually had 3 1/2" turkey shells with them. That little 5 pound or whatever monster would back you up three paces every time it was shot. It was hilarious. It was a beast even with 2 3/4 turkey shells, buck shot or slugs. It wasn't too bad with low or high brass hunting loads though. So afterwards I brought it into Bill wondering if it could be ported or maybe have the chamber worked on. He said sure, I can fix that for you. Just duct tape a brick on the end of the barrel. I wound up trading it for a 20" ? 870 barrel with firesights and choke tubes. Much better idea.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

VIP Member
    These folks, personal friends as well:

https://www.adrenalinearms.com/
    OldChap, 5lima30ret and Nmuskier like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

There are two in the area that I regularly deal with. The owners of both are good friends and former co-workers.

CRC Guns & Weaponry

Pooler Guns
    5lima30ret, OldChap and Nmuskier like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

When we lived in western NC, this family was wonderful. Miss them.
    On Target ? Indoor Shooting Range & Gun Shop

Now down here in Inverness, FL, Ron is great.
    https://www.rpjguns.com

Both are trustworthy, & I would buy from them even if they weren't the cheapest.
    OldChap and airslot like this.

Frank's Place Foley, AL (Their website is www.foleyfirearms.com) I have been a satisfied customer of theirs since I moved here. What I like is their prices are usually right in line with the big sporting goods stores!
    airslot and OldChap like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

At first our governor ordered all gun shops closed as non-essential, but then a lawsuit was filed and he changed his mind, but put severe restrictions on how they can operate. There are 4 gun shops in my small city and I know that two of them have really been trying to service their customers. The other two I haven't dealt with since this started so I can't say how they are responding.

The two that I know of - Campbells Sporting Goods and The Allegheny Trade Co are serving customers by appointment only, only one customer at a time in the store and no browsing. You can call and ask if they have what you want and if they do you go to the store, call from the parking lot and will be allowed to enter when it's your turn. It's a strange way to do business but from what I understand they are being closely watched to make sure they comply with the rules.

I applaud the owners for making the effort. With the depleted inventory they now have there probably isn't much if any profit in them being open, I think it's more to show support for their customers.

I've been manning the Phones at Kittery Trading Post, for almost 4 weeks since the Outbreak...If you call in, to the Sore (not the Online shopping part) you'll most likely speak with me...Bob
    We have opened up the Gun Floor, Fishing, and Archery as Essential Needs..... Business is steady, and we are there to assist all who call in or wish to enter the Store!!
    Home | Kittery Trading Post
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Prices Creek General Store is as close to a real deal general store as found today but is also our gun shop with typically 400+ firearms on display still open for general business but with a more limited amount of people inside at any time ! We live in a rural county with so far with ZERO COVID- 19 showing up . This place typically is crowded with several firearms always in the process of being sold . Slower now but still open .
    DeWittRM, airslot and OldChap like this.

Great idea! Thanks.

My local gun store is Kingwood Guns. In my 60+ years of haunting gun stores, the folks here are at the top of the heap.

https://www.kingwoodguns.com/

I used to spend a lot of time at Ray's Hardware in Dallas too! That was a long time ago.
    airslot likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I used to spend a lot of time at Ray's Hardware in Dallas too! That was a long time ago.
    They're still up and running and doing Land Office business right now!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I use Ideal Sportsman-https://www.idealsportsman.com/ for most of my firearm buys and also Eagles Guns and range for firearms and indoor range-http://www.eaglegunsandrange.net/.

VIP Member
    Rather than list all the names, I'll just say you will find excellent service at any of the 5 privately owned gun shop in Crossville Tennessee. Not always the lowest price, but always the best, most personal service both at the time of sale and afterwards if help is needed! Prices will vary from store to store on any given firearm, so it sometimes is a decision of whether to purchase from the one with the lowest price or the one we've dealt with and trusted for the longest time.

There are also chain stores that sell guns, but we do business with the locally owned people. All of the locals have no problem with accepting your on line purchases for doing the paperwork if it is a gun they can't get for any reason (distributor out of stock, or whatever). Once I found a gun on line for considerably lower than my personal favorite dealer's cost and he encouraged me to ORDER IT - which I did.

There has not been a run on guns in our area. I guess most of us already have what we need for basic self defense and didn't need to do any panic buying.
    bmcgilvray and Tundra5.7 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links