What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice? - Page 3

What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice?

This is a discussion on What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two books that I would recommend, the first; Concealed Carry Class The ABCs Of Self-Defense Tools And Tactics by Tom Givens(In my opinion its a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice?

Two books that I would recommend, the first; Concealed Carry Class The ABCs Of Self-Defense Tools And Tactics by Tom Givens(In my opinion its a updated rewrite of his first book) and the second; The Modern Technique Of The Pistol by G.B. Morrison (Jeff Cooper, Editorial Adviser) Copyright 1991.
    Pete63 and bodan399 like this.

VIP Member
    One of the first books I read. It's out of print, I believe. I did google, and there's lots of used copies up for sale at fair pricing. It's a little dated, of course, but some things never change!

What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice?-100_0910.jpg
    bodan399 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by djw1945 View Post
    Two books that I would recommend, the first; Concealed Carry Class The ABCs Of Self-Defense Tools And Tactics by Tom Givens(In my opinion its a updated rewrite of his first book) and the second; The Modern Technique Of The Pistol by G.B. Morrison (Jeff Cooper, Editorial Adviser) Copyright 1991.

I will try to find them. Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    One of the first books I read. It's out of print, I believe. I did google, and there's lots of used copies up for sale at fair pricing. It's a little dated, of course, but some things never change!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0910.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	327160

Old doesn't bother me! Often times they beat out the "new" methods. I will add this one to the list. Thanks.
    Pete63 likes this.

VIP Member
    Another one I've read. Still available. DO NOT look for it anywhere but here!(publisher) Googling it, listed used copies, for $350.00-450.00! Publisher still listing as "download" or when they print more for $24.95.(what I paid several years ago) Featured Products (sorry about photo wash out; Robert K. Taubert) If you've got money, check out the books about "Jelly Bryce". As others here will attest, they are legendary!

What are your favorite resources for general defensive advice?-100_0912.jpg
    bodan399 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Some good info already. Here's my two bits worth.

I've been blessed with a number of good instructors over the years. Can honestly say I've learned something from even the poorest one.

There's a lot of good info right here on DC as well as some members who are instructors.
    Just a few web based resources I've used:
    Robin Brown's YouTube channel. Especially for point shooting.
    Greg Ellifritz's Active Response Training
    Rob Pincus's Personal Defense Network

Here are some books I recommend, but diffinately not a comprehensive list.
    "Dead Clients Don't Pay" it is written from a security officer's perspective, but there are many ideas that cross over to personal/family security. Take into consideration that it was written in the 80's so much has changed on the technology perspective.
    "When Violence Is The Answer" by Tim Larkin
    C.R.Williams has a couple books out. "Gun Fighting and Other Thoughts on Doing Violence" and "Facing The Active Shooter"
    Maas Ayoob has a number of books out with good information.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post

I've been blessed with a number of good instructors over the years. Can honestly say I've learned something from even the poorest one.

There's a lot of good info right here on DC as well as some members who are instructors.

"Dead Clients Don't Pay" it is written from a security officer's perspective, but there are many ideas that cross over to personal/family security. Take into consideration that it was written in the 80's so much has changed on the technology perspective.
    C.R.Williams has a couple books out. "Gun Fighting and Other Thoughts on Doing Violence" and "Facing The Active Shooter"
    Totally slipped my mind! I've got both his e-books! O.P. , C.R. is a member here!
    bodan399 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Another one I've read. Still available. DO NOT look for it anywhere but here!(publisher) Googling it, listed used copies, for $350.00-450.00! Publisher still listing as "download" or when they print more for $24.95.(what I paid several years ago) Featured Products (sorry about photo wash out; Robert K. Taubert) If you've got money, check out the books about "Jelly Bryce". As others here will attest, they are legendary!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0912.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	327164

Appreciate it! I am slowly building a list, so after I finish one, learn what I can from it, and get some more disposable income. I order the next lol. I think this one and street survival will be the first 2 I buy
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post

Thanks! I added the books to my list and I am going to be doing a lot of browsing those websites this weekend.
    Pete63 likes this.

I agree with lot of the post on this. I would also suggest Aaron Cowen from Sage Dynamics. https://www.sagedynamics.org/
    He is not real flashy but his information seems based in reality.

I learned everything from Dirty Harry mostly. Maybe a little Charles Bronson too.
    zonker1986, bodan399 and CDW4ME like this.
    If this is to end in fire then we should all burn together.

I play a lot of Call of Duty. Soap got me through a lot of tough scrapes, so he was great advice right up to the point he got killed.
    bodan399 and CDW4ME like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

VIP Member
    @MH53J Just "quoted" an optics review of his on another thread. I'm subbed to his channel.
    bodan399 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links