One Punch Kill, It Can Happen - Page 2

One Punch Kill, It Can Happen

This is a discussion on One Punch Kill, It Can Happen within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Shootnlead It is still not very likely. I disagree with you...not a lot of proof that it happens often with a punch ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: One Punch Kill, It Can Happen

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    It is still not very likely.

    I disagree with you...not a lot of proof that it happens often with a punch sans a hard object being involved. I am not saying that it doesn't happen...but I AM saying that it is FAR, FAR from common...rare happening, based on the number of people that fight and the number that die from a punch.

    You believe what you will and I will do likewise...
    Then explain the number of times I've seen charges or cases here of it happening, OK . Maybe you have bunch of wusses that can't punch very hard where you live. Maybe you are going by how many times it's in the Newspaper, and they rarely are reported in News here. I have no clue, but it occurs often around here, and compared to other cities I've seen .. it does there too. A lot of fights are 1-2 punches, and someone's out or on the way to the hospital, and/or someone whips out a knife and it becomes a stabbing.

  2. #17
    VIP Member Array RScottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,317
    Which is why I don't fight with my hands and will not wait to get punched.


    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk
    ep1953 likes this.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array Poppy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Which is why I don't fight with my hands and will not wait to get punched.


    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk
    Can I second that?
    RScottie likes this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array Fizban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern State USA
    Posts
    4,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    The odds of that happening are probably about the same as being struck by lightning.

    Anything, CAN happen...
    I agree with [shootnlead].. simply being possible is a very broad consideration.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    It is still a fluke.

    Watched too many boxing matches, mixed martial arts fights and the like...HARD blows delivered all over the body...guys are seldom killed by them.

    Now, that is not to say that it is not relatively easy to temporarily incapacitate someone with hard blows to the head...especially if they are not conditioned to it...as most of us are not.
    The fact is it does happen a pretty fair amount. You can call it a fluke if you want.

    My question is are you going to stand there and let some dirt bag hit you?

    For me the answer is no. If I see somebody about to attack they are getting shot.
    RScottie likes this.

  7. #21
    Member Array PFranklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    280
    The disparity in strength and size and conditioning between victim and attacker are key factors in whether or not being struck will or can be fatal. This is not to mention skill level achieved in the martial arts. And remember these same factors are those same things lined up as evidence to be presented in court.

    These things mentioned above are to be considered carefully should one decide to use a gun against an unarmed man. Shooting an unarmed man is, at first blush, frowned upon. So the reason(s) for taking such drastic action must speak for themselves.

  8. #22
    Member Array stickpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    44
    Harry Houdini learned about one-punch kills the hard way.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doghandler likes this.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    6,198
    One Punch Kill, It Can Happen

    Death is not the worst thing that can happen these days once a vital organ has been severely injured.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,665
    This article seems to agree a bit with people on both sides of this debate. The main points being:
    • One punch killings don't happen often, but they do happen with some regularity.
    • The most common cause of the death is the head hitting a hard object on the way down, like concrete pavement.
    • The US apparently does not keep good stats on it, but Australia does. They've documented 90 in the last 15 years. The US has 13-14 times the population of Australia. Not sure if it is more or less likely to happen here per capita.
    • I think if you are young and healthy it is less likely, but as a 64 year old with health issues, I consider a fist attack by a younger, stronger person an "imminent threat of grave bodily harm" and I will respond accordingly.

    One-punch killings: They happen more often than you might think | OregonLive.com
    stickpig likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  11. #25
    Senior Member
    Array gopbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fort Madison, IA
    Posts
    1,031
    Sad for the family, hope the BG is in custody.
    He went on in this vein for a long time, urging them over and over, "Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!" (Acts 2:40 Message)
    Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

    Member of
    ARMY vet
    NRA
    GOA
    UPCI

  12. #26
    Senior Member Array RicT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by WuLiPuOva View Post
    If you get hit in the pterion, a fragile intersection of four skull bones, you could rupture the artery beneath and die from an epidural hematoma. Probably not as quick as a bullet but lethal.



    This is the kinda thing where somebody gets hit in the head by a baseball or something and they go home and go to bed and never wake up.
    So, this relates to something that i find interesting...flat-hand "slaps" that seem to knock out even trained fighters. If you've not seen them, you can find videos of them on Youtube (of course!), where the attacker uses the flat of his hand across the "pterion" area (in the diagram above), and knocks out the victim. Is this kind of strike hitting that same area?

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    It is still a fluke.

    Watched too many boxing matches, mixed martial arts fights and the like...HARD blows delivered all over the body...guys are seldom killed by them.

    Now, that is not to say that it is not relatively easy to temporarily incapacitate someone with hard blows to the head...especially if they are not conditioned to it...as most of us are not.
    Boxers and MMA fighters wear gloves that offer a small degree of padding. They are also conditioned for taking punches. But a person that is not prepared to take a punch will not fare well against a person that knows how to deliver one. Gloves or not.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,665
    Great article linked about Bobby Gunn, who some consider the king of the bare knuckle boxers. I saw a documentary on him on TV. He has younger, bigger, MMA-trained guys challenge him all the time and he puts them all down, but of course it's boxing only, no take-downs or submission stuff, so the MMA guys are a little out of their element. Interestingly, he says he stays away from head shots as much as he can, because you can break your hand and that puts you out of contention for a long time. His favorite punch is a "heart shot," a downward punch just at the top of the left pectoral muscle. This would probably not even score a point in regular boxing, but bare-knuckle, he puts guys down with it all the time and they don't expect it.

    Bobby Gunn: Champion of the Bare-Knuckle Boxing Underworld - Men's Journal
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,190
    Basically the test is serious bodily harm. What that entails is an instance or potential instance of one or more of the following. As you normally would, consult with your own state's laws.

    Contusions, lacerations, broken bones, disfigurement, burns, puncture wounds, and similar injuries constitute serious bodily harm.
    ep1953 likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    America First!

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array Poppy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    712
    I have posted on this topic listing some of the blows that can cause death. I would like to add that I agree with those who say that they won't ingage in a fist fight. Boy do I agree. I've been told that if I break my left wrist again they might as well call me stumpy. That being said I think a lot of the naysayers aren't taking in to consideration is that dying for one punch doesn' necessarily mean dying instantly. It could take hours or even days in the case of internally hemorrhages. Also body blows can be just as devastating as a head punch. As a matter of fact back in the dinosaur ages when I had some personal experience with Golden gloves one of the first things you taught when you train for boxing is to stay away from the head shots. Not because they are more dangerous but because percentage wise it's easier to take somebody down with body blows. If you don't believe me just ask somebody that's been punched in the gut unexpectedly. Why do you think were taught to shoot at center mass ? Is it a fluke when someone dies from one punch ? Yeah probably because it doesn't happen every time someone's hit. Also , as an earlier post stated , death might not be the worst thing that can happen. I for one would rather be dead and then turned into a turnip, planted in a corner, and have to be watered for the rest of my life. I don't believe you find any statistics on this but I would bet there's a lot more people charged with manslaughter because of a fist fight gone bad then there are people with a concealed carry permit defending themselves . All I'm trying to say is be careful and don't think just because you hit somebody it won't have the same affect as shooting them.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •