One Punch Kill, It Can Happen

This is a discussion on One Punch Kill, It Can Happen within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many times, we discuss defense against an un-armed attack. Just remember, awareness is the key, you can be minding your own business and bad things ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: One Punch Kill, It Can Happen

Many times, we discuss defense against an un-armed attack. Just remember, awareness is the key, you can be minding your own business and bad things can happen. A punch or kick can kill fast as a gun.

Stranger kills Iowa father with single punch
    Pittpa likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Senior Moderator
    Not an armed good guy vs bad guy story - moved to Home & Away From Home Defense.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    The odds of that happening are probably about the same as being struck by lightning.

Anything, CAN happen...
    Last edited by Shootnlead; July 15th, 2016 at 03:23 AM.
    Fizban likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

An off duty cop in Minneapolis hit a man in a restaurant. One punch, man fell and hit his head. Cop was found guilty of murder and is in the state pen. It happens.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    The odds of that happening are probably about the same as being struck by lightening.

Anything, CAN happen...
    Not really it happens a lot more than you think. A punch to the head can cause a cerebral hemorrhage. It can also cause symptoms similar to what's called shaken baby syndrome in infants. Hit some one in the nose in the right spot and your nose can be driven into your brain. A blow to the back of the head can lacerate a brain stem. A single body blow can rapture a Spleen, lacerated a liver or a kidney. The blows don't have to be delivered by an expert just unlucky. That's just to name a few. I can go on. Get the picture? One punch can and more times than you think kill or serously Mame.
    mr.stuart and tcox4freedom like this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    Not really it happens a lot more than you think. A punch to the head can cause a cerebral hemorrhage. It can also cause symptoms similar to what's called shaken baby syndrome in infants. Hit some one in the nose in the right spot and your nose can be driven into your brain. A blow to the back of the head can lacerate a brain stem. A single body blow can rapture a Spleen, lacerated a liver or a kidney. The blows don't have to be delivered by an expert just unlucky. That's just to name a few. I can go on. Get the picture? One punch can and more times than you think kill or serously Mame.
    It is still a fluke.

Watched too many boxing matches, mixed martial arts fights and the like...HARD blows delivered all over the body...guys are seldom killed by them.

Now, that is not to say that it is not relatively easy to temporarily incapacitate someone with hard blows to the head...especially if they are not conditioned to it...as most of us are not.
    Fizban likes this.

There have been many one punch kills in recent times in Australia.
    They used to be called "King Hits" usually on unsuspecting victims, now the media call them coward punches.
    The death is normally caused from the head hitting the ground or other object as the unconscious victim falls down.

They have change the penalties for these type of attacks in recent years.

Latest one punch can kill articles | Topics | Sunshine Coast Daily
    mr.stuart and tcox4freedom like this.

It is still a fluke.

Watched too many boxing matches, mixed martial arts fights and the like...HARD blows delivered all over the body...guys are seldom killed by them.

Now, that is not to say that it is not relatively easy to temporarily incapacitate someone with hard blows to the head...especially if they are not conditioned to it...as most of us are not.
    I disagree ... could have been , but many hits that will kill you faster than you apprarently realize. And it happens much more often then you apparently realize. Especially when the hit is to the side of the head .... several spots there can cause serious injury or death, and/ or rattle the brain around causing damage and death, and / or cause broken vessels and damage that can cause ruptures, stroke, etc.

How many people have a fall , accident, etc. and hit their head and die ? Many. It's really not any different. Matter of degree and where they take the impact.

Usually it ends up a manslaughter charge, because in a murder case they have to prove there was the "intent" to kill the person. In manslaughter, whether it was intended or not, it happened.

And that's just talking about people that have no training.

It happened to Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock so it can happen to anybody!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I disagree ... could have been , but many hits that will kill you faster than you apprarently realize. And it happens much more often then you apparently realize. Especially when the hit is to the side of the head .... several spots there can cause serious injury or death, and/ or rattle the brain around causing damage and death, and / or cause broken vessels and damage that can cause ruptures, stroke, etc.

How many people have a fall , accident, etc. and hit their head and die ? Many. It's really not any different. Matter of degree and where they take the impact.

Usually it ends up a manslaughter charge, because in a murder case they have to prove there was the "intent" to kill the person. In manslaughter, whether it was intended or not, it happened.

And that's just talking about people that have no training.
    It is still not very likely.

I disagree with you...not a lot of proof that it happens often with a punch sans a hard object being involved. I am not saying that it doesn't happen...but I AM saying that it is FAR, FAR from common...rare happening, based on the number of people that fight and the number that die from a punch.

You believe what you will and I will do likewise...

VIP Member
    Then I'll add one reason to believe it can happen with NO HARD OBJECTS BEING INVOLVED During a soccer match here in Utah a 17 year old kid got angry at a 46 year old. The 17 year old who was not physically imposing in any way sucker punched the ref 1 time. Ref died a few days later. No hard objects, not a sprinkler, nada. Just one punch and boom. A dad, husband and friend died.

Teen pleads guilty in referee's death - CNN.com

Bingo, it happens. Sad to say. My son in law is a MMA guy. He was good enough to cream the #3 ranked guy in his weight class till injuries put him out of it but he was kind of shocked when this happened. He credits training in avoiding a full impact blow and musculature to preventing more problems in the sport. He says that even when it looks like a solid blow it usually isn't. Still it is very rare but as the local example above illustrates IT CAN HAPPEN.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

And for every instance of a single blow being fatal you'll find millions and millions of simple assaults that didn't.

What do you think your real world odds would be using that defense in court when you used deadly force to stop a simple assault?

Remember, "a jury of your peers" doesn't mean people that support the 2A to the nth degree.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

My sister was about 30 years old when someone ran a stop light and tapped the front end of the van she was driving. It only did a couple of hundred dollars worth of damage to her van and didn't damage the other woman's car at all. The angle of the impact was enough to break my sister's neck.

I've seen guys take a hit to the head with a baseball bat and walk away, but I've also seen someone die from a relatively minor blow.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

If you get hit in the pterion, a fragile intersection of four skull bones, you could rupture the artery beneath and die from an epidural hematoma. Probably not as quick as a bullet but lethal.

This is the kinda thing where somebody gets hit in the head by a baseball or something and they go home and go to bed and never wake up.

It is still a fluke.

Part of what you say is true. When a professional boxer or MMA fighter takes a hit they are conditioned and prepared for that hit that makes a big difference. The average Fred, Ted, or Ed Who is unprepared and gets hit by the same type of blows most definitely can be killed or seriously maimed. Yes I guess you could consider it a fluke. Not saying it happens every time someone gets hit I'm just saying it happens a lot more than you might think .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links