Handling a car accident - Page 2

Handling a car accident

This is a discussion on Handling a car accident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BackcountryGuy ...Literally only 8 hours after I was rear ended I was waiting to make a left hand turn...a small delivery truck ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Handling a car accident

Quote Originally Posted by BackcountryGuy View Post
    ...Literally only 8 hours after I was rear ended I was waiting to make a left hand turn...a small delivery truck stopped right next to me that was going the opposite direction...I watched a late 90's Chevy absolute plow into this little delivery truck at 30 mph or more. The delivery truck hit the car ahead of him with so much force that the car he hit gave a love tap to the car ahead of them. 4 vehicles damaged in total. The pickup that caused the accident bounced back a good 3-5 feet....and I had a front row view watching it happen from 3 feet away...after being in one accident and watching a second accident in an 8 hour time span I had to go get a few beverages at the local watering hole...this winter is gonna be a crap show with these new cars and their automatic braking systems...that system is gonna cause a lot of accidents on icy roads...
    Getting the drinks is a good reason to disarm.

If I get road rage so bad that I think I may use my sidearm in an irresponsible manner, I need to seriously reconsider carrying at all. I'm with everyone else. I don't disarm unless ordered to do so by LE.
    Psalm 144:1

I agree with the majority: would not disarm. Never know the intentions of the other guy. Something to think about though: If I EVER thought I might have the capacity to lose control and use my firearm for ANYTHING other than self defense, I'd lock it up in the safe and leave it there til I got my head on straight. Accident or not, banging my head or not - the gun only comes out in case of self defense.

As a paramedic EMS has no authority to ask you to disarm, neither does a law enforcement officer.most emergency departments have security and will offer to secure your firearm until you are discharged

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BackcountryGuy View Post
    Today, while stopped at a red light and waiting for a chance to make a right turn, I was rear ended. It was not a bad accident but my head was turned to the left and when I got rear ended the right side of my head hit the steering wheel and shook my brain a bit. The guy who hit me followed me to a gas station next door. I was carrying when he hit me. But once I parked at the gas station I disarmed before getting out of my pickup.

With today's craziness, does anyone think disarming was a stupid thing to do? With the anger I had at the guy who rear ended me and the fact I hit my head I decided to not chance losing my crap and possibly doing something dumb.

The gas station I pulled into is a very high traffic gas stop with quite a few "shady" folks that use it. I normally would not go there unarmed but today I didn't have a choice to pull in anywhere else. If it had been you, what do you think you would do? Stay armed or disarm knowing your brain had taken a good beating? ALSO, we did not involve the police due to the damage not being severe. So armed LEO's were not present during the exchange of information.
    First off... I would not disarm if in an accident... Second... If I knocked my noggin on the steering wheel, I think I would've call EMS and LE. It's good to have a report in case that little bump on the head turned into a concussion. Sometimes that sort of injury doesn't surface for a while.. And what if it had been a set up? Hit from behind...Only place to pull off is a shady gas station... Nope, I'm not disarming.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I wouldn't disarm. I can't think a good reason to leave your weapon in the car. Even if you're going to be transported to the hospital, I think you're better off having your weapon on you than leaving it in a car that's going to get towed to a repair facility.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    First off... I would not disarm if in an accident... Second... If I knocked my noggin on the steering wheel, I think I would've call EMS and LE. It's good to have a report in case that little bump on the head turned into a concussion. Sometimes that sort of injury doesn't surface for a while.. And what if it had been a set up? Hit from behind...Only place to pull off is a shady gas station... Nope, I'm not disarming.
    Just to emphasize your point, my sister got into a small fender bender once. A car ran a stop light just as she was pulling through the intersection. The accident didn't damage the car that hit her and left a grapefruit size dent in front of the passenger side tire on her van. She didn't think anything of it. She swapped insurance information and went on her way. The next morning she couldn't get out of bed. The accident had broken her neck. It took several hours for the swelling to reach a point where it put pressure on the nerves. That happened 35 years ago and she still has problems with nerve damage.
    jumperj and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

I would Not disarm. Keep your temper and your weapon as you don`t know what`s next.
    Doghandler likes this.

That would be a time where I would surely have the gun on me as opposed to in the vehicle. You are in control of your actions, and you should know what's right, and what's not.

I wouldn't disarm either. If I rattled my squash enough that I was worried about my judgement, it's probably best I don't fondle my firearm anyway. Even if all Im doing is trying to put it in the center console. Getting into fender benders is a part of everyday living. Most of us do something boneheaded behind the wheel now and then, whether we want to admit it or not.
    Doghandler likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Only time I'm unarmed is in the shower or in a prohibited area.

Shoulda kept your gun on you. You never know when crime or craziness will come a callin.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I wouldn't disarm either. If you are level headed enough to consider disarming before getting out of your car, you're level headed enough to stay armed and leave it in your holster once you're out of your car. And if you're really that worried about a blow to the head, you should really consider staying seated in your car.
    Doghandler likes this.

As others have already mentioned, a "love tap" on your rear bumper is a not uncommon tactic used by criminals. I wouldn't disarm.
    Doghandler likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I've never been asked about weapons by a police officer until I was being placed under arrest. Fortunately, I've never had any illegal weapons on me so not a problem, well, not the weapons anyway . . .
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by shemagh View Post
    As a paramedic EMS has no authority to ask you to disarm, neither does a law enforcement officer.most emergency departments have security and will offer to secure your firearm until you are discharged

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Actually LEOs do have authority to disarm you once they can show reasonable cause. Resistance would be unwise in my estimation.
    ep1953 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    First I learned the hard way in any accident DON'T MOVE THE CARS! Call 911 and once the officer sees the accident scene he can have you move the cars. Second I wouldn't not disarm.
    ep1953 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links