CPAP and awareness concerns.... - Page 2

CPAP and awareness concerns....

This is a discussion on CPAP and awareness concerns.... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another C pap user. I have a very silent one and since I sleep much better now I have no worries about being quickly aroused ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: CPAP and awareness concerns....

VIP Member
    Another C pap user. I have a very silent one and since I sleep much better now I have no worries about being quickly aroused if something goes bump in the night. Since I'm better rested I'm more alert on waking. Happened last night. I was up and armed in a couple of seconds. It was the wife moving around since her clock is screwed up for a while as she returned from nearly 3 weeks in Japan Wednesday. No worries no issues. I was totally awake and alert. She slept out on the recliner from 5 - 11 am.

If you have a silent unit I don't see how it would interfere with catching the BG (or insomniac wife ).
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    I love my dream wear mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Has to be the BEST one going, and most everything is informational. I too, am a long time CPAP user. Last year switched to the Res-Med S9, which is really not as good as my old unit, but it serves the purpose. I more recently went with the Dream Wear nose pillow mask, which basically is 100% quiet, and usually can hear normal night noises. But like you, we live in a rural area, and have handguns, and a shotgun within easy reach in the bedroom. Our Golden Retriever had to be put down this past summer,and we miss her so much, but the wife doesn't want to get another that sheds so much. So it'll be a smaller one this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMike View Post
    I've had a CPAP for over 10 years . I had some of the same concerns , so , I have motion sensors around the perimeter of the house including the driveway. Also sleep with 2 Shi-poos ( small dogs ). My wife and I both have a handgun within an arms length and a shotgun and an AR-15 behind the bedroom door . We live in the country so our preparations may be considered over-kill . ( no pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    CPAP or not, get a dog. Doesn't really matter which breed or size. It will hear an intruder long before you will.
    "Get a dog" is a pretty simplistic answer to a complicated question. What if I live in an apartment or condo that doesn't allow dogs? What if I or my spouse are allergic to dogs? How about daily doggie duties that are not at all practical for me? The OP asked about Cpap concerns, not pets or armaments.

I also use a Cpap and trust my spouse and home alarm will wake me if there is an intruder. Mine is completely silent and I sleep better with than without.
    Rockymonster and Sportymonk like this.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    It all comes down to what your particular situation is. As noted, some of us have dogs, spouses, and alarms and others do not. Ideally an alarm, dogs that alert, and a spouse as a second set of ears can help. I have awoken plenty of times in the middle of the night to turn off the CPAP and see if it is something I need to get my lazy ass out of bed for. Usually it turns out to be a friendly critter (or them less than friendly armadillos that I'd like to go Bill Murray on).
    Rockymonster likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I was surprised how much I could suddenly hear. Prior to my CPAP my snoring and bad sleeping found me unable to hear anything. Now I hear the kids coming and going all night (sigh).
    Rockymonster likes this.

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    CPAP or not, get a dog. Doesn't really matter which breed or size. It will hear an intruder long before you will.
    Just make sure the dog you choose barks.
    Mine just wags his tail and stares at me when he hears something.
    Seriously....he never barks. Some watchdog.
    Rockymonster likes this.

"Get a dog" they say ...

Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMike View Post
    I've had a CPAP for over 10 years . I had some of the same concerns , so , I have motion sensors around the perimeter of the house including the driveway. Also sleep with 2 Shi-poos ( small dogs ). My wife and I both have a handgun within an arms length and a shotgun and an AR-15 behind the bedroom door . We live in the country so our preparations may be considered over-kill . ( no pun intended )
    Ain't no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    "Get a dog" is a pretty simplistic answer to a complicated question. What if I live in an apartment or condo that doesn't allow dogs? What if I or my spouse are allergic to dogs? How about daily doggie duties that are not at all practical for me? The OP asked about Cpap concerns, not pets or armaments.

I also use a Cpap and trust my spouse and home alarm will wake me if there is an intruder. Mine is completely silent and I sleep better with than without.
    Yes. "Get a dog" is the simplest and probably most effective answer. Allergies, apartment living, et al weren't part of the Op's original post. However, if (for whatever reason) a dog doesn't fit in your lifestyle the answer(s) are more complex. In that case:

• An alarm system on every point of ingress
    • Motion sensors inside & out
    • The entire system should be on an uninterruptable power system
    • The system should not be able to be accesses through the internet (hacking)

FYI, I use a CPAP, have a multi-layered security system, and Rottweilers.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

i too use a c-rap. and even have to give results to the feds. am government is all parts of my life... even in bed with me. just like that song.
    "what did you dream, its ok we told you what to dream".
    but i can be a light sleeper.
    having two 100+ pound rotts tends to keep the unwanted away.

Light sleeper. Sleep 2-3 hrs a night. Good to learn about these cpap systems. Only a very rare bout of brief snoring despite a repaired deviated septum as a kid.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    dang we might need to rename the forum to cpapcarry! those of you that use one, do you notice a marked difference in a refreshing sleep?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    dang we might need to rename the forum to cpapcarry! those of you that use one, do you notice a marked difference in a refreshing sleep?
    After confirming I had sleep apnea through a sleep test, using a CPAP was "life changing"! For my spouse as well because "pre-CPAP" I interrupted her sleep all the time. "Post-CPAP" we both sleep great! More energy, no dozing off on the drive home from work etc. Also, sleep apnea CAN shorten your life span. VERY hard on your system long term......
    CommonCents likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I thought I had already posted here, don't see it.
    I am forced to use a CPAP because of work (truck driver).
    I HATE the machine and that hatred negatively affects my sleep.
    I don't think I have sleep apnea.
    My wife of 27 years says I don't have sleep apnea.
    And if I do my body is used to it after 57 years.
    When the DOT put forth the legislation, the sleep study / CPAP industry grew by $5 billion annually.
    If I could get another job that pays like this at my age, I'd quit driving tomorrow just to toss the CPAP down range.
    If someone else is benefiting from CPAP, that's great.
    I don't want it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    CommonCents likes this.

no.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links