What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense? - Page 5

What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense?

This is a discussion on What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I saw it when I was a kid. Still have no idea what an inbreed playing a banjo and some backwoods ...

View Poll Results: What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol or Revolver (any caliber)

99 84.62%
  • PDW (AR/AK pistol or similar, pistol or rifle caliber)

12 10.26%
  • AR/AK/Lever Action Rifle or similar (any caliber)

20 17.09%
  • Shotgun (Any design that fires shot)

34 29.06%
  • Other

8 6.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I saw it when I was a kid. Still have no idea what an inbreed playing a banjo and some backwoods faggots have in common with needing an AR.

Or is it just an implication connecting Ky people to the characters in the movie?

Come on, I want to laugh too.
    Sorry if I offended you, which I sense that I did. No slur on the people of the state of Kentucky. I have lived and worked in the south during my career and the people there always treated me nicely. I was trying to make a joke about having people chasing you and what you classified as an "extreme situation." Obviously, it did not come across as something you thought was funny. I apologize.
    OD* likes this.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Sorry if I offended you, which I sense that I did. No slur on the people of the state of Kentucky. I have lived and worked in the south during my career and the people there always treated me nicely. I was trying to make a joke about having people chasing you and what you classified as an "extreme situation." Obviously, it did not come across as something you thought was funny. I apologize.
    No offense taken, I was just trying to understand the connection.
    G26Raven likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    After reading these responses, most on here IMO, need to practice the Home Invasion Drill (Door flies open, "We're here") ....unless someone in the home is carrying you can forget gun vaults in the bedroom and safes unless you can fight your way to them with some time to spare......otherwise....you pretty much Toast.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense?

We have two places; one is our home in an urban setting about a mile from the downtown area. The other is a cabin in a very rural mountain setting in NM. My primary HD go-to in both locations is a S&W 357 k-frame revolver stoked with Buffalo Bore FBI loads and a speedloader with the same. I also keep a double barrel 12ga at the cabin with a slug in one chamber and 00 buck in the other. Crime just isn't a big concern in either location, so I feel very adequately prepared for any likely encounter.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Until it shows up................Trouble doesn't make an appointment.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    I'll just leave this picture here.

What are your go-to weapon(s) for home defense?-img_2795-copy.jpg
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    I'll just leave this picture here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2795 copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	284618
    Going to have to see if I can get a bayonet lug for my MPX!
    OldChap likes this.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

Go to first is a 62 pound Dog. He does not like people that don't belong here. Then if in the house a Hand gun in most cases.
    G26Raven, airslot and OldChap like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With a mug like mine, who needs a gun...
    Point goes to OV !
    OldVet, G26Raven, OD* and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    After reading these responses, most on here IMO, need to practice the Home Invasion Drill (Door flies open, "We're here") ....unless someone in the home is carrying you can forget gun vaults in the bedroom and safes unless you can fight your way to them with some time to spare......otherwise....you pretty much Toast.
    Why I have a S&W Governor on my nightable with 6 rnds of #3 Buck loaded. Hate surprises in the middle of the night!.
    G26Raven likes this.

First and foremost, if the dog doesn't scare em off, my EDC, a m&p 2.0 40c. It goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. On the headboard on my side is a Taurus model 669 in 357, with 158 gr SWC. On the wife's side is a colt officer's model 38spec with 38spec version of SWC in I think also 158gr. Across the 3 ft wide hall I have all sorts of toys in my gun cabinets (yes cabinets not safes) 4 double barrels ranging from 410 to 10 gauge, a wingmaster, and assorted rifles to include 2 in 32 caliber- 1 pump 1 lever. Except for 3 places inside, I wouldn't be shooting further than about 10 yards. Those 3 places might hit 15 yards. Since I live in the city, I shouldn't have to reach out and touch someone, however, in civil unrest, if I need.to shoot to the end of the street, the 32 win special is good for 300 yards, and the 303 is sighted in at 1/4 mile (I ain't what I used to be, may need to look for an easy mount scope mount for the 303)
    G26Raven and The Old Anglo like this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I keep it pretty simple. I live in a subdivision that backs up to a heavily wooded area. A Glock 30 loaded w/ 230 gr HST is my primary go-to with a AR pistol as a back-up. I don't envision needing anymore than that combination for my current environment. YMMV.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

S&W J-Frame (642 & M60) or my G19.
    G26Raven likes this.
    If you served, thank you for your service.

If you did not serve, you are most very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    We have two places; one is our home in an urban setting about a mile from the downtown area. The other is a cabin in a very rural mountain setting in NM. My primary HD go-to in both locations is a S&W 357 k-frame revolver stoked with Buffalo Bore FBI loads and a speedloader with the same. I also keep a double barrel 12ga at the cabin with a slug in one chamber and 00 buck in the other. Crime just isn't a big concern in either location, so I feel very adequately prepared for any likely encounter.
    How right you are, brother. In both cases, all the thieves are in the State houses!

We almost bought a little piece of property just outside Cloudcroft, NM. It backed up to the the National Forest, and the only reason we didn't is the access road was about 10 miles of boulder climbing goat track.

And just an update for me. As I am writing this, I am alone, as my wife is out of town taking care of some property she inherited and is trying to sell. Our daughter is at work. So...empty house, no cars in the driveway, makes a tempting target. No? In anticipation, I have the 930 SPX stuffed with 8 rounds of LE132-1B sitting about 2 feet from my easy chair - in addition to what I always carry on my belt. At least I won't go down without a skirmish.

@KevinRohrer Very nice!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    I believe in the Joe Biden school of home defense, double barrel shotgun fired into the bushes (to scare away the potential intruder) and a call to 911....
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links