Is the United States in a "low intensity" conflict on U.S. soil? - Page 3

Is the United States in a "low intensity" conflict on U.S. soil?

This is a discussion on Is the United States in a "low intensity" conflict on U.S. soil? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Worth noting is the military has moved away from the term "low intensity conflict" due to the ambiguity of the term (see all the above ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: Is the United States in a "low intensity" conflict on U.S. soil?

Worth noting is the military has moved away from the term "low intensity conflict" due to the ambiguity of the term (see all the above discussion in this thread).

"Irregular Warfare" (IW) is now often used in place of LIC in military doctrine and strategy.

If you'd like some light reading, here's a good place to start:

Irregular Warfare (IW) Joint Operating Concept (JOC) v.1:
    https://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Docum...-28-162020-260

Irregular Warfare (IW): Countering Irregular Threats, Joint Operating Concept (JOC) v.2:
    https://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Docum...-28-162021-510

From Vol 1:

IRREGULAR WARFARE is defined as: “A violent struggle among state and
    non-state actors for legitimacy and influence over the relevant populations. IW
    favors indirect and asymmetric approaches, though it may employ the full range
    of military and other capabilities, in order to erode an adversary’s power,
    influence, and will.”

IW is a complex, “messy,” and ambiguous social phenomenon that does not
    lend itself to clean, neat, concise, or precise definition (see the call-out box on
    page 5). This JOC uses the term in two contexts. First, IW is a form of armed
    conflict. As such, it replaces the term “low-intensity conflict.” Second, IW is a
    form of warfare. As such, it encompasses insurgency, counterinsurgency,
    terrorism, and counterterrorism, raising them above the perception that they are
    somehow a lesser form of conflict below the threshold of warfare.

The nature of warfare in the 21st century remains as it has been since ancient
    times — “a violent clash of interests between or among organized groups
    characterized by the use of military force.” These organized groups are no
    longer limited to states with easily identifiable regular armed forces, nor do they
    all operate by internationally accepted conventions and standards.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Being retired military, I probably look at much of this differently. IF it takes the military on our borders, then so be it, but let's arm them, and give them same authority as the Border Patrol. Cross our wall, then let the offenders be subjected to being a fugitive, and suffer all the consequences, post haste.
    Furthermore, BRING BACK THE DRAFT. Make it mandatory, everyone upon turning 18 years of age, MUST register, and then serve in the armed forces, much like all Israeli citizens. Serve a minimum of one year, male and female alike. No exceptions, unless severely handicapped, and even many handicapped could serve in some capacity.

FWIW, one of my commendation medals I was awarded as an Aerial Gunner while assigned to the 20th SOS, 1st SOW contained this verbiage "...special operations contingencies in the low intensity conflict arena." That particular mission was very high intensity (IMO) and I lost a good friend and had several friends severely wounded during that "low intensity conflict"! There have been a lot of low intensity conflicts going on for many years that involved US military forces that the general public is not aware of. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

"There have been a lot of low intensity conflicts going on for many years that involved US military forces that the general public is not aware of." And strong rumors of training for a whole lot more.

Most any place in the world we have (or had) "US Advisors" would be considered a "low intensity conflict".
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Another thread pining for civil war...yawn.
    Rabbit212 and CaptSmith like this.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Another thread pining for civil war...yawn.
    If anyone here is pining for civil war they should be slapped upside the head, but I don't see anyone advocating it.

The original post from @G26Raven seemed like an impartial request for discussion based on some former special ops (alleged) blogger yammering out of his posterior about America being in low intensity conflict. Paraphrased "is this really what military and former military members think?" I can only speak for myself, active duty for the past 28 years... no, this is not what I think. As an air advisor I've spent enough time in actual low intensity conflicts to see we're nowhere close. There are a number of people who claim to be former military (some are, some aren't) using their assumed status to make personal financial gain off of selling books, blogging advertising, etc. That may help the author pay their bills, but it isn't helping our country any.

There is, of course, significant disagreement in our country about the direction we should move with our laws and culture. That ideological friction will occasionally erupt into pockets of violence. That doesn't equate to low intensity conflict which implies active hostilities involving military forces or weaponry.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Being retired military, I probably look at much of this differently. IF it takes the military on our borders, then so be it, but let's arm them, and give them same authority as the Border Patrol. Cross our wall, then let the offenders be subjected to being a fugitive, and suffer all the consequences, post haste.
    Furthermore, BRING BACK THE DRAFT. Make it mandatory, everyone upon turning 18 years of age, MUST register, and then serve in the armed forces, much like all Israeli citizens. Serve a minimum of one year, male and female alike. No exceptions, unless severely handicapped, and even many handicapped could serve in some capacity.
    ^^^^^This would be interesting if this were to happen! I wonder how many immigrants would change their mind about coming to the US if they knew they could be drafted? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    And as long as the millennial's believe they can riot, maim, attack people that don't share their same liberal views with NO repercussions, we'll see more of what we've been experiencing. Spoiled brats that believe they can break the law and get away with it, because they are getting away with it..

A few Kent State responses mixed into the street urchins rioting instead of ordering leo's to stand by and watch felony crimes being committed and ordered not to respond to crimes in progress or to respond when they are being pelted with objects that can cause grave bodily harm or death, the more this country sinks into the abyss.

Just a personal opinion, but if just once these turds rioting and committing felonies were given one chance to disband and when they didn't were summarily taken out, the next group would think twice before starting any BS
    I don't think they need to be killed. They do however need and deserve a good tune up.
    AzQkr, Instymp, G26Raven and 3 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

That begs a musical moment:

wmhawth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I don't think they need to be killed. They do however need and deserve a good tune up.
    I'm of a mind that any turd who throws rocks/bricks etc at leo's during one of their "outings", should have their head summarily chopped off, stuck on a pole in public for a month with a sign warning this is what happens when you believe you can endanger leo's on a whim.

If it weren't against the law, I'd be hunting them with a handpicked team. Radical? No more so than standing there in uniform being forced to not respond while being assaulted.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'm of a mind that any turd who throws rocks/bricks etc at leo's during one of their "outings", should have their head summarily chopped off, stuck on a pole in public for a month with a sign warning this is what happens when you believe you can endanger leo's on a whim.

If it weren't against the law, I'd be hunting them with a handpicked team. Radical? No more so than standing there in uniform being forced to not respond while being assaulted.
    Well thank goodness for laws then.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Those armed antifa protesters @ Stone Mt park Ga methinks will get braver since cooler heads prevailed and the conservatives failed to show....
    G26Raven likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

The USA is by nature and definition a low intensity conflict. But hey, it works.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    If anyone here is pining for civil war they should be slapped upside the head, but I don't see anyone advocating it.

The original post from @G26Raven seemed like an impartial request for discussion based on some former special ops (alleged) blogger yammering out of his posterior about America being in low intensity conflict. Paraphrased "is this really what military and former military members think?" I can only speak for myself, active duty for the past 28 years... no, this is not what I think. As an air advisor I've spent enough time in actual low intensity conflicts to see we're nowhere close. There are a number of people who claim to be former military (some are, some aren't) using their assumed status to make personal financial gain off of selling books, blogging advertising, etc. That may help the author pay their bills, but it isn't helping our country any.

There is, of course, significant disagreement in our country about the direction we should move with our laws and culture. That ideological friction will occasionally erupt into pockets of violence. That doesn't equate to low intensity conflict which implies active hostilities involving military forces or weaponry.
    To pile on with graydude's post - I have worked in a SOF command for years and attend weekly video teleconferences that include multiple 3 and 4 star generals, and never has a SOF response to political dissent been discussed. Not ever, not at all, and if it was being considered it absolutely would be a topic in these meetings. In fact, the SOF regional command responsible for controlling USSOF in North America (mostly for the purposes of military and law enforcement interoperability with Canada and Mexico) is likely to be shut down because SOCOM is pretty much entirely focused on the world outside the US. Also, I think something folks tend to forget is SOF operators are pretty much fanatical in their patriotism, but they are also almost all very Right leaning and completely sympathetic to the views of almost everyone on this forum.

I suspect that by Low Intensity Conflict the anonymous blogger meant the battle for hearts and minds that is raging in the country, and that has escalated to the point of outright lying and manipulation if just to cloud an issue enough to keep people from voting. In the most recent elections, political operators have proven that there is no depth to which they won't stoop, and then add to that the interference from Russia to raise the temperature even more. In our country, we have two ideologically opposed political parties that are increasingly unlikely to compromise and in some cases are willing to break the law to undermine each other. Both parties use deep ideological fear/hatred to solidify their base and reduce the likelihood of compromise so they maintain their power over their chunk of the populace. In my opinion, due to the tactics used this does vaguely resemble a LIC, though one that has not become violent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links