Defensive Carry banner

Is the United States in a "low intensity" conflict on U.S. soil?

4K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  SpudForce 
#1 ·
I think I may have mentioned this in passing awhile back, but it's something I find disturbing. While I was at SHOT I had a lengthy discussion at the Aimpoint booth with a veteran who was working in the booth. We were discussing what is happening in the U.S. societally right now and he mentioned that he follows a private blog or similar site published by someone he knows who is in special operations. It was the writer's assertion that many in the military consider the U.S. to be in a "low intensity" conflict with all of the demonstrations and confrontations that are occurring between the different political classes.

By the strict definition of what constitutes a "low intensity conflict", i.e., the use of military forces to maintain the peace, we're obviously NOT there. But in practical terms, I think, however, that we are.

What do you folks think? I'd be especially interested in hearing from those of you who are currently in the military, or were in the military.

#33 ·
FWIW, one of my commendation medals I was awarded as an Aerial Gunner while assigned to the 20th SOS, 1st SOW contained this verbiage "...special operations contingencies in the low intensity conflict arena." That particular mission was very high intensity (IMO) and I lost a good friend and had several friends severely wounded during that "low intensity conflict"! There have been a lot of low intensity conflicts going on for many years that involved US military forces that the general public is not aware of. Just my .02 worth!

#35 ·
Most any place in the world we have (or had) "US Advisors" would be considered a "low intensity conflict".:frown:

#37 ·
If anyone here is pining for civil war they should be slapped upside the head, but I don't see anyone advocating it.

The original post from @G26Raven seemed like an impartial request for discussion based on some former special ops (alleged) blogger yammering out of his posterior about America being in low intensity conflict. Paraphrased "is this really what military and former military members think?" I can only speak for myself, active duty for the past 28 years... no, this is not what I think. As an air advisor I've spent enough time in actual low intensity conflicts to see we're nowhere close. There are a number of people who claim to be former military (some are, some aren't) using their assumed status to make personal financial gain off of selling books, blogging advertising, etc. That may help the author pay their bills, but it isn't helping our country any.

There is, of course, significant disagreement in our country about the direction we should move with our laws and culture. That ideological friction will occasionally erupt into pockets of violence. That doesn't equate to low intensity conflict which implies active hostilities involving military forces or weaponry.

#43 ·
Those armed antifa protesters @ Stone Mt park Ga methinks will get braver since cooler heads prevailed and the conservatives failed to show....

Reactions: G26Raven
#47 ·
drmordo, I appreciate your analysis.

Reactions: drmordo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.