"Unthinkable" Seminar By William Aprill - Page 5

"Unthinkable" Seminar By William Aprill

This is a discussion on "Unthinkable" Seminar By William Aprill within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by graydude Mike, was there any discussion about canes and how they may or may not relate to victim selection? Gait is a ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 70 of 70
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: "Unthinkable" Seminar By William Aprill

  1. #61
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,850
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Mike, was there any discussion about canes and how they may or may not relate to victim selection?
    Gait is a huge consideration in targeting. He didn't mention canes specifically.
    graydude, TSKnight, AzQkr and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  2. #62
    Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Mike, was there any discussion about canes and how they may or may not relate to victim selection?
    I can try to answer that question from Samenow's perspective.
    Gate, the way we walk, tells a lot about us to an observer. While using a cane is an indicator of a possible infirmity, there are other indicators that may be counted as more important. (i.e. purpose, general awareness, dress or style, etc. ad nauseum)

    See Mike's post above.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array graydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    3,742
    Im familiar with gait indicating general health, fitness, and mindset. Just curious about canes in particular since here on DC weve discussed using canes in NPEs.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,850
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Im familiar with gait indicating general health, fitness, and mindset. Just curious about canes in particular since here on DC weve discussed using canes in NPEs.
    He did mention one defensive use of a cane, but only in passing.
    graydude likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  6. #65
    Member Array TimBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    96
    Mike, I am late to the party here, but thank you for posting this information. I watched one of his videos today and found the information extremely useful. Yes, it is mostly common sense, but he brings it all together well. Hopefully he will do a seminar in my neck of the woods (Georgia) someday.

    Thanks again!
    Mike1956, OD* and Risasi like this.

  7. #66
    Member Array heymarv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX area
    Posts
    347
    One of the take aways I really held onto after taking "Unthinkable" was Dr. Arill's thoughts on awareness.

    Nobody can perpetually live in a heightened state of awareness. If you're familiar with Cooper's Color Codes - we're not all walking around in condition orange, we just can't and shouldn't be that amped up all the time. It's like a sine wave, our awareness comes and goes, dips and peaks - while we can't be aware all of the time we can work to be aware some of the time.

    The old Tom Givens' law is applicable here; when you're out and about ask yourself often: "Who is around me and what are they doing?"

    Along with that, as a rule: "If you see something and you don't know it's something but you know it's not nothing, do something."

    Awareness put another way, "You can't avoid potholes you don't see."

    Being realistically aware is what we should strive for. I think people pay a lot of lip service to being aware in the form of, "I always keep my head on a swivel!" No. You Don't. You're looking at your phone, you're talking to your significant other, you're ordering food, etc. You're not the Terminator. Understand your limitations, but as Dr. Aprill said in his class, try to make awareness a task. Be mindful of what's going on around you, and in terms of having yourself de-selected as a target, be mindful of how you present yourself.
    Last edited by heymarv; March 2nd, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
    PhaedrusIV, Mike1956 and OD* like this.

  8. #67
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    6,105
    These fiendish characters portrayed in modern scenarios have been around since before the invention of history.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  9. #68
    Member Array Joezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    126
    Are these classes only held in one place? or do they move around the country?

    Joe

  10. #69
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,850
    Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    One of the take aways I really held onto after taking "Unthinkable" was Dr. Arill's thoughts on awareness.

    Nobody can perpetually live in a heightened state of awareness. If you're familiar with Cooper's Color Codes - we're not all walking around in condition orange, we just can't and shouldn't be that amped up all the time. It's like a sine wave, our awareness comes and goes, dips and peaks - while we can't be aware all of the time we can work to be aware some of the time.

    The old Tom Givens' law is applicable here; when you're out and about ask yourself often: "Who is around me and what are they doing?"

    Along with that, as a rule: "If you see something and you don't know it's something but you know it's not nothing, do something."

    Put another way, "You can't avoid potholes you don't see."
    He talked about taking heed of things that "look funny", not necessarily things you can put a finger on, but just not quite ordinary. Trust your gut.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  11. #70
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
    Are these classes only held in one place? or do they move around the country?

    Joe
    He puts on his "Unthinkable" seminar on all over the country. Again, search "William Aprill" and go to his website.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

william aprill unthinkable aar

Click on a term to search for related topics.