New "States" in Mexico? Could it happen here?

This is a discussion on New "States" in Mexico? Could it happen here? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was interested in the linked article by Greg Ellifritz. He says he has spent a lot of time in Mexico and provided some insight ...

Like Tree32Likes
  • 6 Post By jmf552
  • 6 Post By retired badge 1
  • 13 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By retired badge 1
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By Any Day Now

Thread: New "States" in Mexico? Could it happen here?

I was interested in the linked article by Greg Ellifritz. He says he has spent a lot of time in Mexico and provided some insight into the crime cartels there, including the map below. Apparently, there are known territories controlled by different cartels that may have more influence on activities and safety than the actual legal "states" like Chihuahua, Durango, Hidalgo, etc. The good news, I guess, is that despite some recent news stories, Ellifritz says tourists are relatively safe. The cartels want the tourist dollars to keep coming in, so unless a tourist gets involved with drugs, they don't tend to be targets. But he also says evidence of organized crime activity is clearly visible if you know what you're looking for.

I thought the whole concept of cartels having defined territories and having that much influence was interesting. It reminds me of what was going on in this country in the heyday of the Mafia. I'm wondering with all the attempts to keep the US from enforcing it's immigration laws and the weakening of the police in general, might there not be an opportunity for this in US going forward? Maybe it already is happening in some places like Chicago.

New "States" in Mexico? Could it happen here?-safe_image.jpg

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...iqV4wBmFa8mbKA
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Possible, especially with politicians and interest groups actively working to keep the American people divided into groups (racial, ethnic, immigrants vs. non-immigrants, LGBTQ, feminists, etc). There has always been a human tendency to band together based upon common history, ethnicity, religion, etc. People want to live and work among those most similar to themselves, sharing a cultural or religious heritage, sharing a language, and so forth.

As far as creating new states, or reforming existing states, that would require Congressional action, probably based upon local or regional referendums creating pressure on congress critters to pander to one group or another.

There has been talk about dividing California into two (or more) states for decades. Similar sentiments exist in Oregon and other places. While the population of a state may be all for the plan there will be nothing accomplished without an act of Congress. Pretty unlikely to happen; who will be responsible for debts & pension obligations, etc, and who will get the assets? The kind of issues that can ignite civil wars.

Mexico, on the other hand, has never really had a functioning national government. The best term to describe government in Mexico is "kleptocracy", which is not that much different than the organized crime cartels. As long as the cartels have the huge cash flows from willing drug purchasers in the US they will be capable of operating as de facto governments within their spheres of influence.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    The democrat party cartel is already controlling large portions of this country...to include several entire states.
    The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver. Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

@retired badge 1 : I agree and perhaps I said it wrong. I wasn't talking about legally changing states, I was talking about "states" in a virtual sense. In other words, a possible situation where what happens in your local area is more controlled by some crime cartel than by your state or local government. The cartel, in that sense, becomes more of a governing body than your legal jurisdiction.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    With all these "attacks" on ICE, CBP, FBI, and other police forces, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened here at some point in the near future.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

VIP Member
    The day Spain conquered the land we know as Mexico the situation there went downhill and never stopped rolling. Corrupt politicians is the norm not the exception.

I would qualify one point made by Ellifritz. Tourists are generally OK if they visit heavy tourism areas. Still they are advised to be extra careful. Visiting many areas of Mexico is dangerous for Americans, not from drug cartels but from the numerous criminals who prey upon the tourist or business person who happens to,be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My sone travels internationally for his work. He has a travel agent who specialized in international travel who sends hi. Info,on each countrynhe visits. He said the list do No-Nos for Mexico is longer than most other counties except for some African countries and the Middle East.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

I'm not so sure that on some level, this is not already happening here, with cultural adjustments as necessary.

In light of your clarification I would restate my earlier comments, to wit: As long as the drug cartels enjoy endless cash flows provided by mindless Americans buying their drugs the cartels will continue to function as de facto governments within their spheres of influence.

The situation in Mexico is difficult at best, perhaps irredeemable. Corruption at the highest levels, with lower levels willingly playing along, no one trusts the government at any level (local, state, federal, cops, federales, politicians at any level). Everyone understands that he who has the gold makes the rules. The honest cop who refuses to turn a blind eye will probably receive an offer he can't refuse, and if he doesn't agree either he or his family members will start disappearing or showing up dead. The prosecutor who won't ignore crimes committed by cartel members is likely to watch his family suffer before he is disappeared himself. The judge who won't cooperate is not likely to live for very long. The journalist who honestly reports on criminal activities better have a very deep hole to hide in.

Kleptocracy says it all. The government, at every level, functions on bribery and corruption. The cartels simply take advantage of a 400 year old system to advance their criminal enterprises.

I have travelled Mexico extensively. I love the culture and the traditions, other than the endemic corruption that has destroyed so many lives, hopes, and dreams.
    Bad Bob likes this.

VIP Member
    Mexico is an extreme example of what can happen when only the bad guys are armed.

Can it happen here? Not if we keep our eyes on the ball.
    Rock and Glock and Bad Bob like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Already happening here . You have small areas that are not governed by any of our laws and it is growing.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Already happening here . You have small areas that are not governed by any of our laws and it is growing.
    Muslim communities in Minnesota?
    Smitty901 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Sure you do......
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I read an article today that said a democrat plan is to grant statehood to Washington DC and Puerto Rico - the thinking being they would gain 4 senators that way.

There's grumblings of them wanting to just add liberal activist judges to the supreme court. They don't want to replace existing judges - just add more liberal ones. I believe its called "packing".

There are 12 or so blue states signed up to do away with the electoral college...

The dems seem perfectly willing to shred anything that gets in the way of their power...including the constitution. Growing up Mom always told me - if someone shows you who they are - believe them.

They are showing us who they are every day. Brazenly.

So could it happen here? Of course.
    retired badge 1 likes this.

Sponsored Links