When the wind blows...

When the wind blows...

This is a discussion on When the wind blows... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We’ve had some storms the last few days. Last night, was awakened twice by our alarm system. The first time was at 2:30AM. I suspected ...

Like Tree38Likes
  • 11 Post By scottync
  • 2 Post By G26Raven
  • 6 Post By dennis40x
  • 3 Post By Pete63
  • 2 Post By CG11
  • 5 Post By TSKnight
  • 2 Post By hogdaddy
  • 4 Post By matthew03
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By ButtShot14

Thread: When the wind blows...

When the wind blows...

We’ve had some storms the last few days. Last night, was awakened twice by our alarm system. The first time was at 2:30AM. I suspected the winds set off the window sensors, but my wife stayed on the phone with the Security Company (they called) while I checked the house. After making sure there was no intrusion, I checked the central alarm unit which noted a master bedroom sensor set off the alarm. False start from heavy winds.

An hour later, the alarm went off again. Same deal.

Didnt get much sleep, but it was a nice check on the alarm system. Surprised myself with how quickly I made it out of bed and ready for “game on.” Ive never had a sensor go off like that from winds shaking the windows. Just shows how sensitive those things are. All in all, a good night.
    Pete63, OD*, CG11 and 8 others like this.

Scottnyc, alarm systems can definitely be wonky, that's for sure. We had our alarm system for almost five years with zero false alarms by the system (won't count the times I set it off by forgetting to disarm). The service company ended up replacing all the hardware this past year. Despite the very windy spring we have had, no further issues. Good to hear you responded quickly.
    scottync and CWOUSCG like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Yesterday was a series thus wave of storms that continued thru the day and overnight. We were surprised to find no trees or branch's there of had not come down. When you have 50Ft plus high Oak trees there is always the potential for property damage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    We had very high winds all day Saturday at my house. Continued into Saturday night. That EF 3 tornado was about 90 miles north of my place. I was surprised also there wasn't more limbs in my yard, as it's filled with a lot of large trees. Don't have same type of security system as you, but my house was "creaking" from high winds. Good you had a "practice run" on checking things out.
    hogdaddy, scottync and CWOUSCG like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Glad there was no trouble at your place, scottync. A wake-up call like that in the middle of the night can certainly raise one's adrenaline level.
    Pete63 and scottync like this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Glad to hear it was a false alarm, but those can really get the heart pumping!

We were without power for almost 3 days. portable generator to keep the heat going, but really start to miss the conveniences after a day or two.
    Getting a hot shower on Saturday after not having one since Tuesday was a God Send!
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Glad it was nothing scottync , Cause thunder storms & wind set off a lot of commercial buildings alarm. Signal 32 is the code & usually nothing , but got to check em out anyway ; )
    H/D
    msgt/ret and scottync like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm a bit north of you in VA. That wind was incredible, I went to bed about 11 last night and within an hour I thought my top floor apt was going to whisked away to OZ.

Banshee Cat was not pleased.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Was at the Pickle Festival in Mt. Olive, we only had 47 cars for the show instead of the 150+ we normally have. There were dire predictions of bad weather and the skies looked like there would be a gully washer at any minute. As it turned out we only got about 1/10th inch of rain after the show ended.
    CWOUSCG and scottync like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

A couple of weeks ago we had 12+ hours of winds sustained above 50mph, gusts over 80. Downed some trees and power lines. No storm, just straight winds. Blew over several semis on the highway. I stayed indoors. No damages, ran on gen power for several hours.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Sponsored Links