The Speed of the Ambush Attack - Page 5

The Speed of the Ambush Attack

This is a discussion on The Speed of the Ambush Attack within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AzQkr It's happened to me, so I speak from experience when I state distractions [ any distraction/s ] give advantage to an ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree267Likes

Thread: The Speed of the Ambush Attack

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    It's happened to me, so I speak from experience when I state distractions [ any distraction/s ] give advantage to an aggressor. I had my jaw broken by a second aggressor I didn't see who came from behind and threw a haymaker while I was distracted with the first turd.

I don't care who or where you were, wear a hoodie, I'm keeping an eye on you if you're close enough to rush and engage. The vic was wearing a button down light shirt, wasn't that damned cold to be wearing a hoodie.
    I didnít say distractions donít matter. But I bet this happened without you staring at your phone. Youíre trying to argue with me but youíre really just proving my point.

As far as the shirt. I donít know how cold it was. But I do know thatís its a recent event, and what the temperature says it is there at this time of year at night, and how people normally dress. Maybe the guys bad situational awareness extended to not checking the weather for all I know. It doesnít really matter though. It was just something to consider. Everyone talks about all the signs and having good SA, but part of having good SA is knowing what is or is normal dress, and while a coat would certainly be abormal when itís 100 degrees outside, a hoodie when itís in the 40s is not abnormal in most places. Whether or not it puts you on alert, itís a commonly purchased item from every department store in the colder months and likely will be for years to come.
    We get the government we deserve.

First of all just like folks need to know ALL laws, and not just firearm specific laws, that impact carrying a gun folks should know ALL the laws that impact audio and video recording in the State they live in and visit. Some States require all parties give consent and some are one party consent. That one party would be you. Some States also have laws in regards to privacy and/or an expectation of privacy and also in regards to nudity.

This one fits in shirt pocket, looks enough like a pen to not be noticed, and has decent recording time. Because video/audio recordings also show what did NOT happen I save all videos for at least 2 years....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXFVGTC...d_i=B07NXFVGTC

It helps to be aware of how much the camera captures because it might be helpful to turn your body a bit....
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I didnít say distractions donít matter. But I bet this happened without you staring at your phone. Youíre trying to argue with me but youíre really just proving my point.

As far as the shirt. I donít know how cold it was. But I do know thatís its a recent event, and what the temperature says it is there at this time of year at night, and how people normally dress. Maybe the guys bad situational awareness extended to not checking the weather for all I know. It doesnít really matter though. It was just something to consider. Everyone talks about all the signs and having good SA, but part of having good SA is knowing what is or is normal dress, and while a coat would certainly be abormal when itís 100 degrees outside, a hoodie when itís in the 40s is not abnormal in most places. Whether or not it puts you on alert, itís a commonly purchased item from every department store in the colder months and likely will be for years to come.
    Perhaps you missed this

"I had my jaw broken by a second aggressor I didn't see who came from behind and threw a haymaker while I was distracted with the first turd.

Hoodies are an elevated threat level, too many gang bangers wear them. Easy enough to pay closer attention based on attire, especially on the streets.
    PhaedrusIV and ETXhiker like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps you missed this

"I had my jaw broken by a second aggressor I didn't see who came from behind and threw a haymaker while I was distracted with the first turd.

Hoodies are an elevated threat level, too many gang bangers wear them. Easy enough to pay closer attention based on attire, especially on the streets.
    Nothing says threat like a hoodie. Nothing says you're under public investigation like a fine Fedora.
    PhaedrusIV and Havok like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Perhaps you missed this

I didnít miss that at all. Not sure what your point is unless you got into the scufflle because you were looking at your phone.

And yes. Gang bangers wear hoodies, along with teenagers, people on their way too/from the gym, construction workers, and many other people who are cold.i have two hanging in my closet.
    We get the government we deserve.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I didnít miss that at all. Not sure what your point is unless you got into the scufflle because you were looking at your phone.

And yes. Gang bangers wear hoodies, along with teenagers, people on their way too/from the gym, construction workers, and many other people who are cold.i have two hanging in my closet.
    The point made was I let myself get distracted, and was blindsided, just like this distracted person in the linked video. Avoiding distractions improves SA, allowing distractions decreases SA.

I could care less if you have two hanging in your closet or how upstanding you or anyone else is that wears a hoodie. Hoodies deserve more attention than those not wearing them, it's just that simple and that's based on bangers nearly always wearing them in attacks just this one being discussed. Erring on the side of caution is prudent, plain and simple.
    Havok, Bikenut and PhaedrusIV like this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

The point made was I let myself get distracted, and was blindsided, just like this distracted person in the linked video. Avoiding distractions improves SA, allowing distractions decreases SA.

I could care less if you have two hanging in your closet or how upstanding you or anyone else is that wears a hoodie. Hoodies deserve more attention than those not wearing them, it's just that simple and that's based on bangers nearly always wearing them in attacks just this one being discussed. Erring on the side of caution is prudent, plain and simple.
    I would offer the same analysis for those who wear their britches so low that we see things that we shouldn't.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Old habit from a lot of watching of robbery videos but, if I am in a store or business and people enter with hoodies up my hand goes to my belt line immediately. Hoodies up is the number one method to avoid identification from video surveillance for street thugs. Even more so if combined with a ball cap.
    Nobody passes me on the street without me turning their direction or at least observing in a reflection or something. SA cannot always prevent everything but,its not something you use occasionally. Its always on or not. Would you notice a car running parked across the lot with the lights off? How many times does your hand go toward gun area or have you moved position slightly to gain advantage in a potential altercation when nothing ever happened? How many times do you casually change positions when walking with your spouse because of observed behavior that was "off". These things are probably at least several times a week for me and I do not feel paranoid or overly defense oriented. Life teaches you things and you accept that reality or you don't.
    The way I made it through years of wildland and structure fire fighting and my stint as a detention deputy was I was constantly asking myself "whats the worst that could go wrong right now" and then at least having a plan to mitigate it. That's how I got all my folks home everyday still breathing. I don't mean total fantasy stuff just things that could likely happen.
    Yes, things can still catch me off guard but, much less happens to people who have their head in the game.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, Hoganbeg and 2 others like this.

@forester58 : Great point about cars running with the lights out. I will add cars parked, but occupied, for an extended period of time. It could be nothing, there could be a good reason, but it could be something. Another thing is seeing the same car drive by twice. Yeah, they could be looking for an address, but making two passes is unusual. If there is a third pass, my antenna are really up.
    forester58 and Bikenut like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

The Speed of the Ambush Attack

One of the most disturbing things of modern times to me (from a few years ago), was the so-called Ďknockout gameí. My own SA started me down the path, to not allowing strangers to close distance on me if I wasnít with other friends/defenders. This was especially true of the days in Texas before we had cc.

Nowadays, people who have their heads buried in a smartphone have taken an active role in themselves becoming a Ďvictimí. Ainít no phone call or text msg in the world, worth getting a concussion over - it can wait until Iím in a physically safe environment. The phone serves me; I donít serve it!
    forester58 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I think that the video is too short to really show how long the victim was vulnerable. The bad guy may have been concentrating on the victim for a while just waiting for the moment when the victim let his guard down. Like the guy who followed me into the home improvement store and tried to act like he was a neighbor who needed a few bucks. It was very windy that day and I was having trouble keeping my truck door from striking the car next to me while I stuck my gun and holster into my pocket. That is probably when the bad guy saw me as a victim. A predator will look for a victim that is struggling with something. Just like the lion will pick the animal out of the herd that is crippled and limping. But I managed to get my gun into my pocket without being seen and so he followed me into the store. Once again it shows how easily we can be distracted. And all it takes is a few seconds with our guard down for the predator to smell blood. Yes! I gave the guy a few bucks to get rid of him so that made him a bum instead of bad guy but it taught me the same lesson. If you are staggering around while you are walking and have your face in the phone you are asking to be noticed.
    Mike1956 and Bikenut like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I think that the video is too short to really show how long the victim was vulnerable. The bad guy may have been concentrating on the victim for a while just waiting for the moment when the victim let his guard down. Like the guy who followed me into the home improvement store and tried to act like he was a neighbor who needed a few bucks. It was very windy that day and I was having trouble keeping my truck door from striking the car next to me while I stuck my gun and holster into my pocket. That is probably when the bad guy saw me as a victim. A predator will look for a victim that is struggling with something. Just like the lion will pick the animal out of the herd that is crippled and limping. But I managed to get my gun into my pocket without being seen and so he followed me into the store. Once again it shows how easily we can be distracted. And all it takes is a few seconds with our guard down for the predator to smell blood. Yes! I gave the guy a few bucks to get rid of him so that made him a bum instead of bad guy but it taught me the same lesson. If you are staggering around while you are walking and have your face in the phone you are asking to be noticed.
    If my choices are a fight or a donation, here, have a few bucks. Clearly, such options weren't afforded the victim in the video.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

@GpTom : I take your point, but as has been mentioned criminal predators tend to not choose people who exhibit good SA, even if there is an off chance to catch anyone unawares at some point. The idea is they always know there is easier prey. A person with good SA presents a higher risk to them depriving them of the element of surprise. If this guy had been following the victim for a while, as you suggest he might have been, and the whole time the intended victim looked like he was very aware of this surroundings, I think that would have dissuaded the perp to putting the time in to wait for the right moment.

Also, if this guy had been following the victim for a while, as you suggest, that would have been more time and opportunity for the victim to spot him. I think a lot answers to this thread are centered around this attacker coming out of the blue, but if your hypothetical is true, I think that is an even worse comment on the victim's SA. I look around me a lot. If I see someone behind me more than once, I don't assume anything, but I will be looking for them again. I see them three times and my antenna are up. I will make eye contact to let them know I see them and now I am watching them, rather than the other way around. I'm sure that is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. I do it with cars also.
    GpTom likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

There is a lesson to be learned....However a few things i question?
    Do they just park in the middle of the street and over the lines there.
    That hardly looked like a shot that would knock teeth out and knock you cold.
    The perp was striking from the side and behind...Maybe staged?...Not enough info.
    But a lesson none the less to be applied.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    There is a lesson to be learned....However a few things i question?
    Do they just park in the middle of the street and over the lines there.
    That hardly looked like a shot that would knock teeth out and knock you cold.
    The perp was striking from the side and behind...Maybe staged?...Not enough info.
    But a lesson none the less to be applied.
    I was hit with about the same force to the side of my jaw [ right side ], the shock wave broke the other side [ left side ] from the hinge to the base. That shot he took would create a lot of damage. The knock out game videos show people taken to unconscious instantly from similar hits.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links