Trail Carry - Page 3

Trail Carry

This is a discussion on Trail Carry within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I learned first hand that remote areas can be dangerous. Was riding ATV on a trail in Northern Minnesota and came across a couple of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: Trail Carry

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I learned first hand that remote areas can be dangerous.
    Was riding ATV on a trail in Northern Minnesota and came across a couple of guys making a batch of meth. There were a few tense moments until they decided to make a run for it.
    Back then I carried a revolver when I rode. Today I carry a full size 9mm and sometimes a carbine depending on when and where I am riding.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Meth heads are the worst, their brains are fried and they're desperate for their next fix.
    airslot, OD*, Wavygravy and 1 others like this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

I am from the region.

Crystal meth and elicit drug use is common.

I always carry when I go on trails. The major limitation is not being able to enter buildings where federal employees are, with a firearm. Apart from that, itís fair game.

Youíre more likely to be attacked by tick bites, mosquitoes or a fall down a ravine than be attacked by a bear or two legged *******.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Bad Bob likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Unless its illegal never understood when People say a gun is too heavy to take hiking. An airweight J Frame is less than a can of tuna.
    And carrying a container of industrial bleach is lighter than an airweight J frame or Ruger LCR? No thanks, l'll stay with a firearm.
    OD* and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I learned first hand that remote areas can be dangerous.
    Was riding ATV on a trail in Northern Minnesota and came across a couple of guys making a batch of meth.

There were a few tense moments until they decided to make a run for it.

Back then I carried a revolver when I rode. Today I carry a full size 9mm and sometimes a carbine depending on when and where I am riding.
    Maybe it was something you said: "You boys is in a whole HEAP-o-trouble !"
    OD*, Paladin3840, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mad88minutejohn View Post
    I'd bet my pocket LCP weighs less then a 7" kbar and a bottle of bleach.

Sounds like a good defense though. Might even be more effective than my 380.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Your .380 most certainly can kill a bear (definitely wouldn't be my first choice ) if you get lucky, if you killed one with a knife you'd be lucky too. Bella Twin killed a record grizzy with a .22lr and a lotta skill and luck. I wouldn't be dumpin' my .380 for a knife, maybe adding to.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...#axzz5noQ5b7vw
    Tstone and msgt/ret like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I hike/camp in remote and rugged trout streams here in the mtn. NC, TN, Va. areas frequently. I carry a .357 magnum OWB and a .380 in my fishing vest. The extra weight is worth the encounters with various drug crazies (I have had several) and chance encounters with black bears and/or wild hogs (also have seen both these).
    Granola bars and herbal tea aren't gonna cut it.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I missed this post and started another.

I was kicked off a FB group page for suggestion CC might be an option for some on the AT - especially for those who worry. I admitted I carry when I hike, and I would carry on the AT. I carry a tourniquet too. But that suggestion didn't go over well. I got a wide range of "advice" from the members who collectively for the most part, seem to hate the idea of carrying a gun, and some who just hate guns period.

Another AT guru has videos up all over Youtube, and will mention that the AT is a microcosm of society. What goes on in the real world, happens on the AT. That said, yes, CC is smart if you are willing to sacrifice the 1.5 lbs or whatever it mean taking a gun.

I guess I'm more put off they would kick me out of the group entirely. It's not like I called anyone names. Afterward, I went back and checked out some of the "admins", and from the ones who have public pages, they look very liberal.
    OD* and DZUS like this.

Sponsor
    Camping in BC and Yukon territory last summer, all we were allowed was bear spray, no firearms without jumping through RCMP paperwork and low probability of being granted a permit.

When roaming the Supes on foot I'm armed with the Ruger Alaskan in 44mag or motoring through them on forest service roads, I'm armed with a normal carry gun like a glock 9mm, sometimes one of my snubs.
    OD*, msgt/ret, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I used to hike the AT until I was 60. Never took a gun due to weight. The trailis an arduous hike and keeping weight down is important. Carried my 7" KaBar fixed blade, and my secret weapon. The secret weapon was a plastic squeeze bottle filled with full strength industrial bleach, not the household kind. If not treated quickly skin or eye contact will result in bad alkili burns. Tat process starts immediately and if the sprayed being does not get it flushed off fast the pan just gets worse and worse. I carried the bottle in a puuch attached to a pack strap for quick access.
    If you are gonna carry a bottle of bleach may as well carry an air weight 38. hell I carried a 70 lb pack and an L frame 357 mag when I was doing wilderness SAR in Texas and NM hiking up to 12,000 feet.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    If you are gonna carry a bottle of bleach may as well carry an air weight 38. hell I carried a 70 lb pack and an L frame 357 mag when I was doing wilderness SAR in Texas and NM hiking up to 12,000 feet.
    But ... but ... but ... you're Bad Bob and we are mere mortals!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Did you do it at 60 years old? And the 38 is not going to stop a bear but the bleach might. Keep in mind that I did not take a gun at at a time when the craziness of today did not exist. 17 years makes a difference in facts that motivate decisions. If I could get this old body to act like it used to I would be backwoods camping and carrying my 9mm with Underwood Extreme Penetrator.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

I still camp, hike, and fish at 67. It ain't as easy as it used to be. There are places I can't get to anymore, but I try hard to keep in shape. Some beautiful places up here. A friend took this last spring -- My pack was at the campsite, but I'm carrying for sure. This ol' boy doesn't go out in the woods without a gun or two.
    OD*, AzQkr and msgt/ret like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Did you do it at 60 years old?
    Nope, I am not 60.

And the 38 is not going to stop a bear but the bleach might.
    Never said it would, but by the time you dig out your bleach you will be lunch. If I were concerned about bears I would carry one of my 44 mags, which I have been doing since the 1990's when in the woods. I never got into the granola, hippy hiking mentality. I like to be comfortable.

Keep in mind that I did not take a gun at at a time when the craziness of today did not exist.
    When was that? It has always been there.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    But ... but ... but ... you're Bad Bob and we are mere mortals!
    OD* likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links