Trail Carry

Trail Carry

This is a discussion on Trail Carry within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just saw the news about the fatal Appalachian trail attack in Virginia. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12230245 (please note how I had to use a foreign new source to ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: Trail Carry

Trail Carry

Just saw the news about the fatal Appalachian trail attack in Virginia.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12230245
    (please note how I had to use a foreign new source to get actual information beyond the headline, I think that's rather ironic)

Apparently the suspect was well known for threatening behavior by hikers. This time he chased down a couple, killed the man with a machete and the woman lived by playing dead. I imaging she has some devastating defensive wounds though.

This is yet another piece of supporting evidence for trying to have a layered defense strategy anywhere you go. I've been trying to carry a knife (have a custom fixed blade for the trail, but unfortunately have to carry a folder elsewhere due to NC's ridiculous knife laws), pepper spray, and a firearm where legal. Given that the trail is often full of hippies, I wonder how they feel about this.
    CDRGlock and cbp210 like this.

I used to go to school in Wythe county, lots of kind folks in that area. Best wishes to the survivor, and I hope they fry the perp.
    airslot likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I used to hike the AT until I was 60. Never took a gun due to weight. The trailis an arduous hike and keeping weight down is important. Carried my 7" KaBar fixed blade, and my secret weapon. The secret weapon was a plastic squeeze bottle filled with full strength industrial bleach, not the household kind. If not treated quickly skin or eye contact will result in bad alkili burns. Tat process starts immediately and if the sprayed being does not get it flushed off fast the pan just gets worse and worse. I carried the bottle in a puuch attached to a pack strap for quick access.
    Last edited by 1942bull; May 12th, 2019 at 09:21 PM.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I’d imagine most of the hippies look at this as quite an isolated incident according to the article this is a first in 8 years. As for the layered defense that’s quite a good plan. You can have the “bear spray” for defense against predators. As well as a knife for bushcraft if needed and a good pistol for predators 2-4 legged if the right caliber and ammo are selected.

I read some reports the last couple of hours. The guy used a machete'. He had attacked two other hikers who managed to evade him, right before he attacked the two he killed/injured. The injured woman played dead to end the attack. The perp's name is James Jordan and he is from MA.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Unless its illegal never understood when People say a gun is too heavy to take hiking. An airweight J Frame is less than a can of tuna.

Just a short video posted on WRAL.

https://www.wral.com/hikers-attacked...rail/18381307/

A bit more info here.

Feds arrest man in deadly machete attack on Appalachian Trail in Virginia

An arrest was announced Sunday after a machete attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia left one man dead and a woman seriously injured.

James Jordan, 30, of West Yarmouth, Mass., was arrested early Saturday on a federal complaint charging him with murder and assault with intent to murder in connection with the “senseless and brutal attack” on the two unidentified hikers, Abingdon U.S. Attorney Thomas Cullen said.

Jordan was known to hike the Appalachian Trail under the moniker “Sovereign,” WCYB-TV reported. He was arrested in April for threatening hikers on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to probation, according to WJHL-TV.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachi...-attack-arrest
    scottync, airslot and Gabill like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    T used to hike the AT until I was 60. Never took a gun due to weight. The trailis an arduous hike and keeping weight down is important. Carried my 7" KaBar fixed blade, and my secret weapon. The secret weapon was a plastic squeeze bottle filled with full strength industrial bleach, not the household kind. If not treated quickly skin or eye contact will result in bad alkili burns. Tat process starts immediately and if the sprayed being does not get it flushed off fast the pan just gets worse and worse. I carried the bottle in a puuch attached to a pack strap for quick access.
    This is less than 15 ouches, probably weighs less than your bottle of bleach, and its .357.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...8-sw-special-p

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Unless its illegal never understood when People say a gun is too heavy to take hiking. An airweight J Frame is less than a can of tuna.
    Do you carry Plus 1 can of tuna?

Crazies are everywhere. I don't know why one would think they're not in the mountains and trails also. Didn't they watch Deliverance?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If my pistol becomes too heavy to carry, I will diet and lose a couple if pounds.

It is possible that they were hiking the trail itself and might have held off on guns due to crossing into so many states/counties

But yeah why more people dont carry gun when hiking or least OC spray is beyond me

I know back in NC a while back a young women was kidnaped and murder on the trail there ..Few ladies I knew got CCW cause of that

To me a gun is a best bet ... Not like your in a city and can run for help ..You just OC some one crazy home less or whatever freak with a knife now what run the 2 hourse back to your car /cell recption site and hope he does not find you
    Nmuskier likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Early last fall there was a homeless man "living" at our sportsman club. It's out in the country. The surveillance cameras recorded his presence on several nights. No one knew exactly where he was during the day, but one time a couple women were meeting me at the range and I asked Gramps to come along to do guard duty. Not sure that I could have reacted fast enough to help another woman if I was down in the shooting area and he materialized and came at someone higher up in the pavilion. Our group rules are no loaded guns in the pavilion, until it is your time to shoot.

Very fortunately there was no sight of the man - or the wild dogs that have been seen there - or a random wild hog, but we had an armed guard just in case.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I was never into hiking trails for days, weeks, or months. The first thing that goes with me into rural areas or the woods is a gun. I prefer a minimum of a .357 magnum or a 10mm. If there are black bear in the area, I want a .44 magnum revolver. If there are brown bear or moose in the area, I want my .454 Casull revolver.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Lately its been a Plus can of Sardines, I'm hooked on those things. I suddenly started eating them and now I can't get enough of the little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Do you carry Plus 1 can of tuna?

Crazies are everywhere. I don't know why one would think they're not in the mountains and trails also. Didn't they watch Deliverance?
    msgt/ret, usmc0811, OD* and 1 others like this.

Mountain hiking in NC is rough, but getting hacked to death with a machete? I'd make room for a .357, thank you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links