DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

What patrol rifle would you carry?

Thread: What patrol rifle would you carry?

Tags:

Rob99VMI04 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Tavor with eotech, I'd not consider an AR.
    I like the Tavor, but i've read some accuracy issues with the gun https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...x95-follow-up/. I've seen Tim from MAC post some stuff and it didn't seem that impressive. If I was shooting distance wouldn't be my first choice.

RedSafety said:
    If you carry a Glock, especially a 9mm, there are a number of nice rifles out there now that take Glock mags. Same with a few in .40 I believe. One set of mags for both duty pistol and patrol rifle would be nice, IMHO. No need to take time to grab a second set of mags. Any quality AR would be good too, especially if the other officers carry AR's for sharing mags with them in a tactical situation.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

seeker_two said:
    Talk with the other officers. Get the lay of the land and the types of calls where they use their rifles.....then make your pick.

That said....it's hard to beat the handiness of a Marlin lever-action carbine in .30-30.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AzQkr said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I like the Tavor, but i've read some accuracy issues with the gun https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...x95-follow-up/. I've seen Tim from MAC post some stuff and it didn't seem that impressive. If I was shooting distance wouldn't be my first choice.
    Eo set for 75 poa/poi, 25-300 on milk jugs all day. I wouldn't use a 223 past that range. Anymore precision needed than that, I'd be using a scope. Accuracy compared to an ar? I don't think it's as accurate either, but it's accurate enough and fast in the hands.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Gunnie said:
    Depending on the area patrolling I like my Colt Commando 10.5”. it’s perfect for the application small enough for buildings and still plenty accurate enough for the distances I’m working within. Mine is equipped with an Eotech. If I was out in the western states I’d go 308 and likely either a 16” at-10 of some flavor I like my ruger piston gun or a M1A in something like a scout variety.

Hoganbeg said:
    I want a true rifle round if I'm going to carry a rifle. In rural areas wildlife might be a concern as well.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Bad Bob said:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Any quality AR would be good too, especially if the other officers carry AR's for sharing mags with them in a tactical situation.
    That just does not happen in LE in this country.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Gabill said:
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    In general I would say a standard AR-15 carbine (16 inch barrel) with a retractable stock would fill that role nicely.
    My thoughts!
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

tnsoldier4fun said:
    A flat-top AR-15 with a red dot sight and 16" barrel will handle most duties you could use it for in a city environment, while a flat-top AR-10 type with a low-power variable scope would probably be better if on a rural department.