What patrol rifle would you carry?

This is a discussion on What patrol rifle would you carry? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a part time job working for a really small local police department, me being #6. Anyways the chief will let us carry pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: What patrol rifle would you carry?

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar

I got a part time job working for a really small local police department, me being #6. Anyways the chief will let us carry pretty much what ever we want for a sidearm and patrol rifle.

The question is: if you could carry any "patrol rifle" you wanted, what would you pick?

Ask the other officers, come to a mutual decision. Would be nice for you all to be able to back each other up, share mags, common ammo, etc.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

In general I would say a standard AR-15 carbine (16 inch barrel) with a retractable stock would fill that role nicely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Yep, an AR that doesn't stray too far from the main stream in terms of features and accessories. Plenty of good choices out there - Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, La Rue are solid choices. Not sure about betting my life on Bushmaster, PSA, DPMS, and others, no matter how good the interweb reviews are.
    OD*, Pete63, AzQkr and 7 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

See what others carry and go with that ...

And prob any AR that works will be fine ..All take the same mags and parts

Me I would go HK416 or DD etc maybe a good Colt

Course me I would just use a milled AK47 when you really need to make a point ..( hey there was a cop shop in AK that carry yes a AK at one pouint )
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Except for the military I had to provide my own weapons the whole time I was an LEO. My last patrol rifle was a Sig 556, it was a great gun, accurate and reliable. I liked it much better than an AR. I don't know if they're still offering them or not.

The only "black rifles" I have now are in .308, a Galil Ace and a S.A. SOCOM 16 in a Sage EBR chassis. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Galil as a patrol rifle, they make a 5.56 version that uses AR mags that would allow exchanging mags/ammo with the AR guys.
    G26Raven, scottync and hogdaddy like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Being able to carry a patrol rifle is one of the best breakthroughs in modern police work. Back in "the day" most cities denied patrol a rifle and reserved them only for SWAT teams. Generally that was because some SWAT supervisor got their panties in a knot when they got to the area of the call out and discovered the patrol officers had better gear than THEY did (true story - southern city where my brother and cousin were patrol officers had that happen), and the next day the chief declared rifles ONLY for SWAT.

The dangers and quickly changing climate of street patrol finally brought reality even to the ranks and the modern Patrol SUV's have plenty of room in the back for plenty of gear storage and gun lockers instead of everything rattling around in the trunk of a Crown Vic.

Anyway, that aside, I have a Sig Patrol 516 and feel in no way under gunned.
    WC145 and OldChap like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member
    I would likely go with a 9mm carbine and carry a 9mm pistol. Most likely I would go Ruger on the Rifle and Glock on the pistol because, if my memory serves me correctly, the Ruger carbine accepts Glock magazines.
    dangerranger likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Without a doubt, an AR of some configuration.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    An M4-type AR w/ a scope/electronic sight combination. The barrel would be short, 14-16", so it could be easily wielded inside buildings w/ narrow corridors. And it probably needs a flashlight w/ a switch attached to the forearm.

As for caliber, I am not a fan of the 5.56 and would look for something a bit bigger if allowed to do so.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

If you're referring to "patrol rifle" as what will be riding along beside you in your patrol vehicle, there are many good options. Being in Montana on a very small force, I would expect you to be alone for quite a while in any incident that might occur. You're quite possibly gonna need all the firepower you can muster for the next 15-20 minutes at least.

I would be taking a serious look at an AR-10/.308. Plenty of capacity, plenty of punch to get through barriers the 5.56 may not. Do you want to go up against some deranged anarchist in the middle of nowhere on equal terms--both of you packing AR-15 poodle shooters--or do you want the advantage in range and punch?

As for compatibility with your fellow officers, carry enough mags you don't need theirs. When you show up with your AR-10, they'll start shopping.
    WC145, Cuda66, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I would likely go with a 9mm carbine and carry a 9mm pistol. Most likely I would go Ruger on the Rifle and Glock on the pistol because, if my memory serves me correctly, the Ruger carbine accepts Glock magazines.
    Pistol caliber carbines are great in theory for all of the obvious reasons but in reality they kind of suck for all of the obvious reasons. That's why the original PC9s and PC40s were discontinued, lack of the agency sales that Ruger planned on to make building them worthwhile. They brought them back because the general public wanted them, not LE agencies. The guns lack the penetrating power and long distance accuracy that gives the patrol rifle an edge. The 9mm and .40S&W do not gain enough from the 16" barrels to come close to competing with the 5.56 ballistically.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    An M4-type AR w/ a scope/electronic sight combination. The barrel would be short, 14-16", so it could be easily wielded inside buildings w/ narrow corridors. And it probably needs a flashlight w/ a switch attached to the forearm.

As for caliber, I am not a fan of the 5.56 and would look for something a bit bigger if allowed to do so.
    A lot of agencies won't allow any magnifying optics without extra training, they consider scoped rifles/carbines the stuff of snipers. A more appropriate optic would be something like an Eotech, Aimpoint PRO, etc.. A light is a must. Whatever you equip it with, don't cheap out, buy quality. The cheap stuff tends to crap out right when you need it most.

Personally, I don't like the 5.56 either, or ARs, but the dept will have some guidelines for the OP to go by. If it was me, today, I'd run my Galil in .308, Aimpoint PRO (with a flip up magnifier on a quick release mount), and a quality light. There is no substitute for horsepower.
    OD*, hogdaddy, 1942bull and 3 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you're referring to "patrol rifle" as what will be riding along beside you in your patrol vehicle, there are many good options. Being in Montana on a very small force, I would expect you to be alone for quite a while in any incident that might occur. You're quite possibly gonna need all the firepower you can muster for the next 15-20 minutes at least.

I would be taking a serious look at an AR-10/.308. Plenty of capacity, plenty of punch to get through barriers the 5.56 may not. Do you want to go up against some deranged anarchist in the middle of nowhere on equal terms--both of you packing AR-15 poodle shooters--or do you want the advantage in range and punch?

As for compatibility with your fellow officers, carry enough mags you don't need theirs. When you show up with your AR-10, they'll start shopping.
    This is why my kid chose a SCAR H when he was in AFSOC, penetration was king and the .308 would punch through stuff the 5.56 would barely ding.
    OD* likes this.

On a small town police force in the flat side of Montana, I would carry my S&W 29-2 .44 magnum revolver and Winchester '94 lever-action .44 magnum rifle.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    On a small town police force in the flat side of Montana, I would carry my S&W 29-2 .44 magnum revolver and Winchester '94 lever-action .44 magnum rifle.
    Don't forget the boots and spurs...
    WC145, cal44, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links