"You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun" - Page 2

"You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun"

This is a discussion on "You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My goal has been to hike the AT in its entirety but health issues the last couple of years may end this dream. That said. ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: "You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun"

My goal has been to hike the AT in its entirety but health issues the last couple of years may end this dream. That said. No way I'd hike without a firearm.
    OD*, halem1, PhaedrusIV and 3 others like this.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Move along. Nothing to see here. https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachi...-attack-arrest

All it takes is one story like this to make me a believer.
    I was in the process of posting this story while you posted it, spcl. I wonder if the guy who got killed and his girlfriend who was critically wounded wished they were carrying some protection? That happened near my location.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Would this writer be considered or qualify as a expert in writing/firearms/hiking?....Sorry just some sarcasm based on another thread running
    Wavygravy and halem1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    Articles like this leave me scratching my head. https://www.outsideonline.com/239735...gn=onsiteshare
    Author claims to be a hiker and has had firearms training but his grand conclusion is there are better ways to stay safe than carrying a gun. Apparently we gun carriers are afraid and carrying will cause us to escalate a situation rapidly. No stats or data to back up the claim. Wow.
    That guy's opinion to hike w/o a gun doesn't influence my choice to carry one.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Would this writer be considered or qualify as a expert in writing/firearms/hiking?....Sorry just some sarcasm based on another thread running
    He's an expert in virtue signaling (as are most of the nutty progressives who think that morality can shield them from reality).
    Cornhusker95 and halem1 like this.

Iím not anti-gun, nor am I a city-dwelling ideologue.
    Get ready for reasons why you shouldn't have a gun.

The only time I carry one into the woods, however, is to hunt. To kill game. Thatís what theyíre built to do.
    There are many different types of guns made for many different tasks. Having the long resume of carrying guns that the author claims, he ought to know this. Especially since he claims to have carried a personal defense gun professionally.

the more firearms present in a situation, the greater chance you have of being injured or killed.
    One might say that if the bg is the only one in the situation with a gun, your chances of being injured or killed are pretty high.

Then the author goes on to paint gun carriers (other than hunting) as being paranoid. People are victims of armed robbery/mugging and assault daily. Less than lethal options (OC spray, etc) are great layers to self defense. A sidearm is a great tool in the woods.
    OD*, halem1, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Psalm 144:1

The Author is an idiot and their words do not rule me.

I no longer listen to those that say I do not need a firearm. They can live as they like. I won't judge them. I will live as I like and carry.

Oh, and what was that about how to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly bear scat? Grizzly bear scat smells of bear spray and is mixed with expensive hiking gear????
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    He's an expert in virtue signaling (as are most of the nutty progressives who think that morality can shield them from reality).
    He's a legend in his own mind!
    Frodebro and halem1 like this.

Iíd just like to know how in the hell this guy knows what I need.

Hes is the type of numb-nut that you find mixed in with scat...
    PhaedrusIV, halem1, OD* and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    He's a legend in his own mind!
    Well, if he REALLY wants his fifteen minutes of fame, he should consider getting mauled and eaten by a big 'ol bear.

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?
    There you go. When any media takes what one crackpot says and makes national news out of it, you can bet the farm that it is NOT because of the informational value of that little piece of news.
    Frodebro, OD*, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Yet another opinion writer wrapped in his own fear ["...Itís guns in other peoplesí hands that make me nervous."], ignorance, and narrow viewpoint [ "...To kill game. Thatís what theyíre built to do."], and portraying himself as an expert.
    those are his own fears & beliefs, and therefore we should abide by them.
    i believe this is called "projection".
    OD*, msgt/ret, ugh762x39 and 4 others like this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Ill make sure to not interrupt the bear who is attacking the person who thinks itís unnecessary to carry a gun.
    OD*, msgt/ret, ugh762x39 and 5 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    Well, if he REALLY wants his fifteen minutes of fame, he should consider getting mauled and eaten by a big 'ol bear.
    Stay tuned!
    Frodebro, halem1 and JeffreyR like this.

Another case of misused statistics.
    If you extrapolate an average of two million hikers per year since the turn of the century, that equates to a murder rate of roughly 0.008 per 100,000 hikers.
    That is correct, but then to standardize it to national standards, you must multiply it times 365, because homicide rates are measured in cases per 100,000 per year, not per hike.
    Also, if your argument is that it's incredibly safe to hike and people already carry guns... Then why are guns a problem?

But like water on a grease fire, they tend to escalate conflict rapidly. And if youíre in a defensive position, you probably wonít come out ahead.
    My gun has never escalated a conflict. In fact, I'd argue I back down from conflict much faster than when I was unarmed (and younger).
    Also an interesting point he's making. Once your at a disadvantage, no point in fighting, lay down your life.

Still, some people will insist they need a gun just in case. This means one of two things: they are completely terrified of some unspecified threat
    ... Do research before you embark on any adventure. Identify threatsóbears, people, weather, fire.
    ......In my backyard, grizzly bears roam freely, as they should. Sure, each year bears maul people
    ......... Iíve had dozens of grizzly encounters, run-ins with polar bears on Arctic ski expeditions, and more than a few awkward conversations with disturbed individuals over the years
    That's rather specific for being unspecified.
    OD*, ugh762x39, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links