"You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun"

This is a discussion on "You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Articles like this leave me scratching my head. https://www.outsideonline.com/239735...gn=onsiteshare Author claims to be a hiker and has had firearms training but his grand conclusion is ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: "You Don't Need to Hike with a Gun"

Articles like this leave me scratching my head. https://www.outsideonline.com/239735...gn=onsiteshare
    Author claims to be a hiker and has had firearms training but his grand conclusion is there are better ways to stay safe than carrying a gun. Apparently we gun carriers are afraid and carrying will cause us to escalate a situation rapidly. No stats or data to back up the claim. Wow.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

So..I guess when I used to go hiking and there were notices of mountain lion sighting I should just let the park rangers protect me.
    Because bad things don't "just happen"...right?

Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm quite happy to decide for myself what I will and will not do, thank you very much.

Senior Moderator
    I've quit trying to enlighten those who think having a gun is not a necessity. What other individuals say, think, or feel about weapons is no longer of any concern to me...as long as those things don't conflict with my desire to be prepared.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

The stupid is strong with that one...

I love the "I have been doing XXXX for XXXX years and never needed XXXX, so having XXXX is dumb". I have driven roughly 500K miles since turning 16 and have never NEEDED my seat belt, but I still put it on everytime.

Second, hikers and backpackers are notorious gram counters. Are you seriously going to agonize for months over how to save a few grams on your stove, tent, and shoes, and then pack two pounds of loaded pistol on your hip? You may as well carry an external frame pack and a canvas-wall tent.
    You carry the correct equipment for the environment at hand.

Finally, and most importantly, carrying a gun changes the way we interact with and feel about others. For thru-hikers, the social element is an enormously rewarding part of the experience. They meet people from around the world, adopt kooky trail names, share information (including who might be sketchy or carrying a weapon), and coexist for a brief time in a remarkable place, doing a remarkable thing. Bring a firearm into that dynamic, and it won’t be the same. Others don’t know you—they don’t know your training, demeanor, judgment, or intelligence. All they know is that you have a weapon and, with it, the power to hurt them. And that’s all that truly matters. Guns intimidate.
    Now we have entered bizarro world, where guns are the only thing with "the power to hurt", but not knives, hiking sticks, rocks, hands or feet, and the concept of concealed carry is dismissed.

First, any responsible owner knows that the highest priority is the security of their weapon at all times. On the trail, that becomes a real issue, since there’s no way to safely store your weapon. Want to go for a quick swim? Sorry, you can’t leave your sidearm unattended. Need to head into town for a resupply? Public transportation is off-limits, and most businesses don’t allow firearms. Want to grab a cold beer at the local watering hole after a particularly humid stretch of trail? Bummer, because in most states guns aren’t allowed in bars.
    The one section of his article that has some logic and critical thought, particularly for the multistate AT hiker, but has no bearing on someone in the Rockies or AK.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Yet another opinion writer wrapped in his own fear ["...It’s guns in other peoples’ hands that make me nervous."], ignorance, and narrow viewpoint [ "...To kill game. That’s what they’re built to do."], and portraying himself as an expert.
    airslot, OD*, lordofwyr and 5 others like this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Drew Pogge demonstrates an amazing lack of expertise and credibility in this article. Nothing like an wanna-be Outdoor writer telling people not to be prepared.
    airslot, niks, OD* and 7 others like this.
    It's not waterboarding if you use JP-8

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    I'm quite happy to decide for myself what I will and will not do, thank you very much.

Yeah, me too, as long as my wife says it’s ok.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?
    This is a 'feel-good' article written to the 'woke' crowd. There's nothing to convince me his opinion is relevant to my needs afoot in the wilderness, but reinforces the anti-gun stance of folks who've already made up their minds on the issue.

Bless his heart just the same though.......

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Anyone that says guns are only built to hunt is clearly an anti, and an idiot.
    busykngt, airslot, OD* and 8 others like this.

VIP Member
    Writers write, some more informatively and persuasively than others.
    OD*, halem1, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

What is the age of the author? Perhaps he is a “Hipster.”

The definition of a hipster was not clear to me until son #2 helped me out.

“They dress and look like lumberjacks, but they never get dirty and would be eaten by animals if they actually went in the woods.”
    OD*, lordofwyr, halem1 and 12 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    What is the age of the author? Perhaps he is a “Hipster.”

The definition of a hipster was not clear to me until son #2 helped me out.

“They dress and look like lumberjacks, but they never get dirty and would be eaten by animals if they actually went in the woods.”
    Real lumberjacks don't need to carry axes.
    Struckat, OD*, halem1 and 7 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

VIP Member
    Move along. Nothing to see here.
    An arrest was announced Sunday after a machete attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia left one man dead and a woman seriously injured. James Jordan, 30, of West Yarmouth, Mass., was arrested early Saturday on a federal complaint charging him with murder and assault with intent to murder in connection with the “senseless and brutal attack” on the two unidentified hikers, Abingdon U.S. Attorney Thomas Cullen said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachi...-attack-arrest

All it takes is one story like this to make me a believer.
    Struckat, Wavygravy, OD* and 10 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links