Gun in carry-on baggage!!

This is a discussion on Gun in carry-on baggage!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started a thread here last week where I told of my daughter and SIL taking their carry guns on vacation to Utah. They flew ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Gun in carry-on baggage!!

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

I started a thread here last week where I told of my daughter and SIL taking their carry guns on vacation to Utah. They flew from Atlanta on Sat and my daughter called as they were about to board the aircraft. In talking with her, we inquired as to how the checking in of the firearms went. Well, she stunned us by saying that it went fine...the guns, in the locked box, were handed back to them with directions to just place them in their carry-on baggage and take them on the plane with them. I did not know that this was allowed...I have never read any account of someone having this experience...every report of traveling with firearms that I have read told of the airline having control of the secured firearm during the flight. Oh, well... just one more thing that I didn't know.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Never hear of that. Flown a few time with guns, and that does not sound normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Regulations specifically forbid weapons in carry on.
    OneGunTX and OldVet like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If true, some TSA agent should be flipping burgers
    NECCdude and ep1953 like this.

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    Checked luggage only!!! Wow

I check guns on flights about once a month. Never heard of this. Hopefully TSA didn’t spaz when that carry on went through screening. Sounds like another ignorant airlines counter clerk.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    If true, some TSA agent should be flipping burgers
    Truth be told, all TSA agents should be flipping burgers! Except I wouldn't want to eat where they were flipping them.

BTW, I would refuse to follow the directions the fliers in the OP were given. I would call for a supervisor. I could easily see getting to the x-ray machine and getting busted. I can imagine trying to tell the TSA guys there that other TSA guys told me to do it.
    flh, Gabill, Petroleum 1 and 4 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Wow, did not think about that jmf552.

Some body screwed up big time, thankful your daughter didn’t pay for it.
    NECCdude likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Distinguished Member
    Unless the regulations have changed (just checked and they have not) beside the TSA agent who told them to put the guns in carry on how about the TSA agents who were screening carry in baggage. You would think that a gun in baggage being x-rayed would cause some serious issues at the security check station. @Shootnlead , I suggest you ask your daughter and SIL to report the facts to TSA. That was a major breach in security, and the two were exposed to a felony charge for receiving bad instructions. Those TSA folks are a disaster waiting to happen.
    RedSafety and montejames like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Unless the regulations have changed (just checked and they have not) beside the TSA agent who told them to put the guns in carry on how about the TSA agents who were screening carry in baggage. You would think that a gun in baggage being x-rayed would cause some serious issues at the security check station. @Shootnlead , I suggest you ask your daughter and SIL to report the facts to TSA. That was a major breach in security, and the two were exposed to a felony charge for receiving bad instructions. Those TSA folks are a disaster waiting to happen.
    Rule #1: Never trust the Internet for legal advice!

Having said that, I would NOT report this to the TSA, or anyone else. Your daughter and SIL committed a crime. Whether it was a felony or misdemeanor depends on State law and the exact circumstances. Ignorance of the law is not a defense, nor is, "That guy told me to do it." You would hope that they would not be arrested for reporting this incident, but it is certainly a possibility. They're also exposed to Federal Civil action of fines up to $10,000+.

FWIW
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

Having said that, I would NOT report this to the TSA, or anyone else. Your daughter and SIL committed a crime. Whether it was a felony or misdemeanor depends on State law and the exact circumstances. Ignorance of the law is not a defense, nor is, "That guy told me to do it." You would hope that they would not be arrested for reporting this incident, but it is certainly a possibility. They're also exposed to Federal Civil action of fines up to $10,000+.

FWIW
    Following the directions of a LEO is a mitigating circumstance but getting confirmation/proof that an idiot TSA agent said so would be the sticking point.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

FWIW
    First, I was not giving legal advice. I do not do that. My intent was about civic responsibility. However I get your point, and it is a reasonable concern. Since ignorance of the law is not an excuse for committing a crime it is possible that a report could result in being charged. It's a dilemma and a Catch22 that can protect incompetence. An anonymous tip would not be useful because you would have to provide flight data to pinpoint the failing agents. With that TSA could easily find who filed to transport a gun. Messy at best, but I would file the report because I think it would be a public disservice to fail to dod so. That last sentence is not a recommendation for anyone. It is just me being me.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Senior Member Array Petroleum 1's Avatar
    The only scenario i can think of is this couple did not have a checked bag so the tsa allowed it in the carry on. That is still a no go. I can’t believe this bag also went past the screeners too. There must be more details to this story.
    deadguy likes this.

Details at eleven.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links