Fla “Stand your ground” trial begins today.

This is a discussion on Fla “Stand your ground” trial begins today. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had a quite long thread about this incident here last year when this occurred; this will be interesting to watch. Like the other high ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Fla “Stand your ground” trial begins today.

We had a quite long thread about this incident here last year when this occurred; this will be interesting to watch. Like the other high profile in Fla, I will make no judgment until all the evidence is presented and a judgment is rendered.

‘Stand Your Ground’ manslaughter trial begins today in killing over handicap parking spot

FLORIDA – The Florida man who fatally shot an unarmed black man last summer outside a grocery store, sparking a nationwide debate on the state’s “stand your ground” law, is set to stand trial on Monday for manslaughter.

The case dates to last July when Michael Drejka, then 47, got into an argument with Britany Jacobs, then 24, who was parked in a handicapped-accessible spot outside a grocery store, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office said.

Markeis McGlockton, Jacobs’ 28-year-old boyfriend, and their 5-year-old son Markeis Jr. were inside the Clearwater, Florida, store at the time. McGlockton then went outside, walked over to Drejka and forcibly pushed him, causing him to fall to the ground.
    https://fox6now.com/2019/08/19/stand...-parking-spot/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I don't think it will be interesting, but the media sure will think so. My two cents says he goes to jail.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I forgot about this. Curious to see how it goes.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    It could go either way.
    dangerranger, Risasi and Havok like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I certainly have not heard all of the evidence but this does not sound like a true "stand your ground" case. The shooter is merely using SYG laws to justify what he did. From what I read, he instigated the conflict and murdered the guy.
    jmf552, airslot, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

I think we are still waiting for the Popcorn shooter to have his day in court! that was supposed to be "The Stand Your Ground" trial. Its turned into a "Wait long enough and he will die of natural causes!" DR
    Pete63, spclopr8tr and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It could go either way.
    I'm with you, It will come down to who is on the jury, And how the lawyers play it to them!

Trial by jury can always go either way.

My money is on jail time.
    airslot and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E9
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

DG
    Public sentiment towards guns in general could prove a factor also. A lot has changed since the shooting took place.

Wow, it's been a year already?!

That reminds me, what ever happened with that trial of the retired police officer who was attacked by some irate patron at a movie theater. IIRC the irate patron then returned and threw popcorn at the retired officer and that's when the officer shot him.
    ddrew likes this.

Drejka’s attorneys said he will not pursue a “stand your ground” pretrial hearing to gain immunity, but will instead make the case to jurors that he acted in self-defense
    Yet the media is already focusing on just the stand your ground law just as they did with Zimmerman even after he waved the hearing.

VIP Member
    Based on this guy's history, he's just a hothead looking for confrontation. I understand being upset at folks illegally parking in handicap zones, but taking it to the level he has in several documented instances is bad.
    airslot likes this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Wow, it's been a year already?!

That reminds me, what ever happened with that trial of the retired police officer who was attacked by some irate patron at a movie theater. IIRC the irate patron then returned and threw popcorn at the retired officer and that's when the officer shot him.
    The retired police captain's lawyers argued that since Florida changed its "Stand Your Ground" law after the shooting placing more of the burden of proof on the prosecution rather than the defense, those changes should be made retroactive in this case. Doing so would aid their defense. That case is now before the Florida Supreme Court. The retired police captain meanwhile, is still under house arrest and wearing an ankle monitor. His firearms are stored in a secured storage facility. He has to pay the storage fees plus ankle monitor fees plus his legal fees, but he's not behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It could go either way.
    I'm with @OldVet on this one. Given the publicity and the public outrage, I doubt any juror was not already exposed to the case before the trial. We know the prosecutor will strike any juror that owns guns. Maybe an argument for an appeal.
    msgt/ret and retired badge 1 like this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    I'm with @OldVet on this one. Given the publicity and the public outrage, I doubt any juror was not already exposed to the case before the trial. We know the prosecutor will strike any juror that owns guns. Maybe an argument for an appeal.
    The prosecution and defense lawyers will always try to make sure that no juror knows anything or can read. Adding in 'no guns' might make it very difficult to seat a jury in Florida.

I'm sure there are a dozen or so people in Florida who don't own guns, but how many of them are just plain stupid and can't read?
    Havok likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links