Would you arm your neighbor? - Page 3

Would you arm your neighbor?

This is a discussion on Would you arm your neighbor? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I answered yes on the poll. Would you loan a firearm to someone you know well. But I would not arm either of my neighbors. ...

View Poll Results: Would you loan a weapon to a neighbor during a period of civil unrest?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely loan a weapon to someone who I know well.

45 47.87%
  • No, I would not loan a weapon to anyone under any circumstances.

29 30.85%
  • Other?

20 21.28%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Would you arm your neighbor?

I answered yes on the poll. Would you loan a firearm to someone you know well.
    But I would not arm either of my neighbors. I wouldn't trust either of them with a gun.
    Now the 80+ year old widow who used to live next door, If she asked my only question would have been "what kind of gun and how much ammo will you need. She was a tough old bird who would have had my back, and had good common sense.

My middle son just asked to borrow a deer rifle for a hunt that will most likely be in deep brush. None of his rifles are right for hunting in this area. He mostly shoots long distance. I fixed him up with a 94 Winchester and a receiver sight. I know he will take care of it like it was his own.
    If his wife asked, again Id only want to know how much ammo she needed to go with it! DR
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Have NO Gun in a SHTF Scenario,The just GTF out of my way!!!.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Why on Earth would you arm unreliable people who haven’t armed themselves? What possible benefits could there be in a widespread civil unrest situation?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

All my closest neighbors have guns already. They also have keys to my house and garage codes. Tight knit neighborhood with only a few houses and a single point of entry over a bridge. We've had many discussions about what we would do in the event of bad times.
    I would certainly help to better equip them.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Why on Earth would you arm unreliable people who haven’t armed themselves? What possible benefits could there be in a widespread civil unrest situation?
    We have some very good friends, husband and wife, who live within walking distance of us. They are two of the most honest and honorable people I know. They both have taken a carry permit course but have not purchased guns. Both grew up in rural Wyoming, are in their 60s, so I am reasonably certain they have experience with firearms. Call me crazy, but in an emergency, I would not hesitate to hand them a weapon if they were in need.
    AzQkr and BigJon10125 like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    We have some very good friends, husband and wife, who live within walking distance of us. They are two of the most honest and honorable people I know. They both have taken a carry permit course but have not purchased guns. Both grew up in rural Wyoming, are in their 60s, so I am reasonably certain they have experience with firearms. Call me crazy, but in an emergency, I would not hesitate to hand them a weapon if they were in need.
    Your choice. I live in a suburban subdivision and the two neighbors that I might trust under those circumstances go heeled, so no need for me to loan them anything.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    If things went South far enough, I'd teach the neighbor how to shoot one and sell it to him.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Scenario: You have a sizable cache of firearms, too many for one person to use. Law enforcement has been directed to focus their resources on the affluent areas of town. Rioters are approaching your home and firing weapons into your general area. Your neighbors are panicking as they have no means to defend the area but are willing to help. Do you...

(A) Lecture them about the importance of the 2nd Amendment.
    (B) Ask them if they have a CWL.
    (C) Discuss rental rates for your firearms.
    (D) Embrace your inner Rambo and try to take on the entire mob all by yourself.
    (E) Arm up your neighbors that are willing to defend the area that you both call home.
    Arejay and G26Raven like this.

If they have SCUBA gear and know my fishing and duck hunting haunts, then they can borrow any of my guns they can find. Maybe they can bring me one too.
    G26Raven, baren and OldVet like this.
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Sure. Two of my neighbors are some of our closest family friends. We have keys to each other’s houses, and one of them especially, has had me house sit for him a few times when he was out of town, and be trusted me with his house and probably $600k worth of classic cars in his garage. He already owns a couple basic guns, although he isn’t a gun guy.
    G26Raven and baren like this.

I would. But I wouldn't have to ... Out here in the country, pretty much everyone has their own.
    G26Raven likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not concerned with and judicial consequences in the midst of civil unrest, I'm concerned with survival.

The next door neighbor on one side of me is a guy I would trust to arm. His wife doesn't like guns, but Al is a Marine and a Vietnam vet, and I let him handle a 1911 and one of the ARs a while back. I could see his eyes sharpen as he mentally went back into the zone... so he's a guy I know would have my back, and vice versa.
    baren, G26Raven, AzQkr and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    I would not arm a neighbor no matter how well I knew him. I responsible for my guns. That includes when, where, how, and by whom they get used. Civil unrest is obviously troubling, and should it happen in one's neighborhood it is probably frightening. How do I know how my neighbor might react to anything in the neighborhood that might frighten him? I do not. If he shoots someone without adequate cause who gave him the gun? I did. In many, if not all, states contributing to a homicide is a crime. I'd say supplying the weapon that killed unjustifiably someone is unarguably trouble for the gun owner.

Consider that the neighbor does not have gun, and therefore is probably not familiar with proper handling, safety, and the laws regarding self defense. Is it a good idea to lend a gun to that neighbor in a situation where he might feel threatened? Not in my opinion. If my neighbor might need a gun, he should own one.
    G26Raven and OldVet like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Depends on which neighbor.

Administrator
    There are so many variables that it's hard to pin down a difinative yes or no.

An individual may have firearm experience but, not happen to own one.

What has general "Civil Unrest" morphed into? Possibly a scenario where Rule Of Law no longer exists?

I know some of the people in my neighborhood that I absolutely trust.

So would I? I am back to it just depends.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links