Would you arm your neighbor? - Page 4

Would you arm your neighbor?

This is a discussion on Would you arm your neighbor? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The wisdom of the saying "Know thy neighbor" says volumes here. It depends....

View Poll Results: Would you loan a weapon to a neighbor during a period of civil unrest?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely loan a weapon to someone who I know well.

45 47.87%
  • No, I would not loan a weapon to anyone under any circumstances.

29 30.85%
  • Other?

20 21.28%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Would you arm your neighbor?

The wisdom of the saying "Know thy neighbor" says volumes here. It depends.
    G26Raven and Risasi like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

I’m gonna say “it depends”. Let’s say it just another normal day. My neighbor comes over and says he’s got to go to a bad part of town and he needs to borrow my firearm. Sorry, but that’s just a “oh hell no!”

Say all hell breaks loose in a real, serious SHTF scenario. The entirety of the town is under siege by rioters, and they’re now within a couple hundred yards of our neighborhood. And, say my neighbor isn’t an anti-gun activist, supports my right to be armed as per 2A, but heretofore had no personal desire to have a firearm. In this case, would I lend him a firearm? Probably. But I’d probably give him a 2 minute explanation of how to use it, since the rioting probably will take longer than that to reach us. We’ll load up a few extra mags, and we’ll keep the business end pointed in the direction of the riot progressing toward us. By now, a few other neighbors have shown up with at least a handgun and a rifle, if not two, and several extra mags. So, at this point, it’s not just me and “don’t own a gun boy”. Several of us watch over the gated but exposed entrances to the neighborhood and we place a few in the backyards of the side of the development that is exposed. We attempt to protect our neighborhood, and if we are successful and this doesn’t turn into an all out war, he returns the firearm. If it does turn into an all out war, and my firearm doesn’t come back, I’ve still got a few more to fall back on if necessary. In this scenario, no, I’m not going to worry about background checks. I’ll rely on how well (or not) I know my neighbor. If it gets this bad, there won’t be a government to prosecute either of us for not getting a background check.

So
    G26Raven likes this.

Yeah, so it depends entirely upon whether the loanee is already competent with said firearm(s). All I have are semi-automatic handguns. In an excitable hand these can go boom in a (5#) finger twitch. If we all know we’re repelling the zombies then fine, it’s worth the risk. Short of that, I’m uncomfortable with the liability of a neighbor holding my gun.

All my neighbors are, I suspect, more heavily armed than I. They’re not gonna ask me for mine.
    G26Raven likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Duh, why do you think I have so many rifles? I obviously can't use them all at once.
    G26Raven likes this.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    The poll is a bit narrow. As a general rule, I would not arm my neighbor. Why the hell would I spend a lot more money to arm my neighbors? Most have more money that me, so why would I carry the burden? Why would I carry the legal burden of potential prosecution and/or civil suit for their misuse of a weapon I loaned them?

If they don't want to own guns now, then they don't need my guns later.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

There are a few neighbors i would. I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, if things were being set on fire by unruly mobs of people in my neighbor hood. I would hand over a firearm to a neighbor who maybe had little firearms experience but I knew they were a decent person.

During the Ferguson unrest I gave out ammo to a few people I know who only had shotguns they had bought for hunting or "sporting" purposes. The only ammo they had on hand were bird shot loads. I gave them some buckshot loads.

I wouldn't lend a gun to someone willy nilly but if my neighborhood is under-siege, I'd be willing to consult with my neighbors and consider handing one a firearm if I felt it might help our odds of protecting our little piece of earth. Now if one of those neighbors asked me for a gun because their daughters boyfriend threatened them or something, I'd direct them to an LGS, or box store of their choosing.
    G26Raven and Rambler like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Lead Moderator
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When it all comes apart, and someone has a sudden change of heart due to circumstances, and they are willing, I will loan them a rifle, some loaded mags and whatever I else I think they might need.

I will teach them the basics of marksmanship, cover, shooting positions and whatever they need to stay alive.

In times like those, if we don't hang together, we will hang separately.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Some of my neighbors or coworkers yes. Others, no. A couple of them I know are competent but due to financial issues had to sell what they had. Divorce can suck like that for some people.
    Don't see much point of having them with me standing security or walking a patrol with a mop handle while I have guns sitting in the safe.
    G26Raven and Risasi like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    It would be illegal with Oregon's universal background check law. We would have to go to a local FFL and pay for the transfer and Oregon State Police background check for the neighbor. When they gave it back, we would have to reverse the procedure.

This is what they mean by "common sense" gun laws.
    LimaCharlie and Rambler like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    While I've already said I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't, there are some things I think people need to think about before they arm anyone else, especially a relative stranger.

One would be that, you don't know how someone is going to react in a crisis. Most people don't know how they'd react in a crisis, because they've never faced a true crisis. Giving the wrong person a gun can make a disaster. Believing you can count on that person when you really can't also can make a disaster.

Secondly, you don't know where that person's loyalties are. You could just as easily find yourself looking down the barrel of that gun later.

Others could likely add to this list, but I think it's a good start for food for thought.
    JeffreyR likes this.

Step one--Ask the neighbor if they know how to use a gun.

If they say no, tell them no, you're not giving a gun to someone who doesn't know how to use it.

If they say yes, tell them no, that they should have their own if they know how to use one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Depends on which neighbor. One is a ex military. He would get a rifle. The other is a good guy. He would too. Any of the others? No way. And these would have to be extremely hard circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

We'd all be speaking with a British accent (and this topic wouldn't even be a discussion) if the men who won the Revolutionary War had the same mindset of "every man for himself" that I'm reading about here.
    Risasi, G26Raven and Rambler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johndp1911 View Post
    We'd all be speaking with a British accent (and this topic wouldn't even be a discussion) if the men who won the Revolutionary War had the same mindset of "every man for himself" that I'm reading about here.
    Well, back when the British were a problem, each able-bodied man was expected to have his own "arms" to provide for the common defense, thus the basis of the militia and 2A.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

sgb
    No.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links