Would you arm your neighbor?

This is a discussion on Would you arm your neighbor? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ran across this interesting article this morning by Matt Bracken who wrote the Enemies, Foreign and Domestic series. In it, he talks about the possibility ...

View Poll Results: Would you loan a weapon to a neighbor during a period of civil unrest?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely loan a weapon to someone who I know well.

43 46.74%
  • No, I would not loan a weapon to anyone under any circumstances.

29 31.52%
  • Other?

20 21.74%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Would you arm your neighbor?

Ran across this interesting article this morning by Matt Bracken who wrote the Enemies, Foreign and Domestic series. In it, he talks about the possibility that you might want to loan weapons to a neighbor during times of civil unrest to help secure your neighborhood.

This got me to thinking, would I personally be willing to loan a gun to a neighbor under these circumstances? Certainly, there are some who I would not hesitate to loan a weapon. But there are others who I certainly would not. Would you?

ARM THY NEIGHBOR, BY MATT BRACKEN

....Most of the readers of this column probably don’t need to be convinced of the wisdom of owning and practicing with firearms. You may even believe that you already possess all of the guns you need, whether a .38 caliber revolver in your bedside table or a small battery of handguns, shotguns and rifles in your closet or gun safe. You may even own one or more of those liberally despised so-called assault rifles. In any of these cases you may think you don’t need to consider any more gun purchases.

There is, however, one reason to purchase at least a few more weapons: to arm thy neighbors. I can hear you saying, “What is Bracken talking about? If that foolish grasshopper of a neighbor didn’t bother about his security when guns were readily available, why should I worry about him now? Besides, he may even be an anti-gun liberal, so the hell with him!”

https://www.americanpartisan.org/201...-matt-bracken/
    CG11 likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

It would be illegal with Oregon's universal background check law. We would have to go to a local FFL and pay for the transfer and Oregon State Police background check for the neighbor. When they gave it back, we would have to reverse the procedure.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Not just no, but heck no. My thoughts:
    • If they were capable of using arms to defend themselves and the neighborhood, they would already have guns. If they are not capable, I don't want them throwing rounds around the neighborhood. Having a gun does not equal truly "being armed."
    • I am not going to arm someone who might decide they need to come take what I got. A survival situation can make people do strange things.
    • Depending on the jurisdiction and situation, there could be long-term legal implications for what they do with do with a gun I loaned them.
    • Depending on how the scenario plays out, I may never see my loaned guns again.
    • I buy and keep guns I like to shoot and carry. I don't own guns I would want to part with right when I needed them.

I would not even arm my daughter and son in law who live in our town. They are anti-gunners who don't know diddly about protecting themselves. Me giving them a gun would be like giving a kid matches. If they need protection, they can come stay with us.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    No, I would not arm my neighbor. However, if I have a neighbor who is interested in learning to shoot safely and effectively I would (and do) take that person to the range to learn, using one or more of my guns. But when we come home my guns come home with me. Then it is up to that person to buy her/his own gun.

I did, upon one occasion, loan a person I know well the money she needed to buy a gun for herself because I knew she would faithfully make the payments to me and not have to pay interest on a credit card or have to wait weeks to get it out of a layaway plan. That is not, however, loaning my own gun(s).
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

One of our neighbors was a supply officer in the Marine Corps, so I know he knows how to shoot. His wife is a teacher and very anti-gun. Another neighbor was enlisted in the Navy and his wife was a Navy officer in charge of his unit. She is still in charge and very anti-gun.
    G26Raven, airslot, baren and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I have thought about this subject a number of times. I would possibly (but not likely) be open to doing this but the level of civil unrest in my immediate area would have to be high for this to be an option. In general I would keep my weapons to myself and not make it publicly known that I have any.
    G26Raven likes this.

Nope, not a chance. If said neighbor wasn't smart enough to arm themselves and learn to shoot, sorry. It's a dog eat dog world.

Piss poor planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
    G26Raven, M1911A1, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Depends upon the neighbor, friend or family member, but will and already have a time or two when bad stuff was happening.

Your timing is funny on this, Raven. Just this past weekend Ellifritz posted a link to this in his weekend knowledge dump:

https://www.americanpartisan.org/201...-matt-bracken/

Greg's commentary on the article:

Mr. Bracken has been reading from my playbook. In a large-scale crisis situation there are going to be a lot of people who don’t currently own guns looking to become new gun owners.

What gun would be easy to operate, free of legal restrictions, and a good choice for home defense?

I think a 4″ K-frame revolver would fit the bill perfectly. For the past 15 years I have been stockpiling beat up Smith model 10 revolvers. I have almost 30 now. I bought each one for between $150 and $225.

Each gun has a belt holster, a speedloader, a speed strip, and a box of cartridges.

I will have the best apocalyptic neighborhood watch program on the planet.
    Food for thought...

P.S. This part in Bracken's article is my favorite part:

If nothing else, from a strictly selfish standpoint, the humble .38 revolver you lent to that widow might provide you with a critical early warning of imminent danger when she fires it in self-defense. Forewarned is forearmed, even if the warning is a rapid series of pistol shots heard from up the street at oh-dark-thirty. But in any case, I would rather hear the widow’s defiant shots than her helpless screams.
    That's one way to look at it from a tactical perspective.

P.P.S. LOL, I just clicked on your original link and saw it was the same one.
    airslot and Pete63 like this.

Considering I have more than I can shoot at one time, I'd loan to one or two friends if needed - just not any of my HKs. :)

On friend can have my Ruger 22. I'd give the other my Sig 938.

My neighbors though...nope.
    Risasi likes this.

No, if that became necessary, chances are that all is lost anyway.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Risasi, yes, that's how I ran across the article as I always read Elifritz's Friday knowledge dump.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    As far as I know all the peeps I talk to in the neighborhood are in no need of additional firearms. Mike next door would be a good source of ammo if it got low.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

DG
    As far as my neighbors are concerned, I don't own any guns. The subject has never been discussed. Don't ask. Don't tell.
    G26Raven, baren, Geezer and 1 others like this.
    Simplistic solutions to complex problems seldom produce satisfying results.

flh
    If it's Antifa , causing problems in town that's a easy fix , I would call a couple of my redneck friends and point at the bar they are standing in front of ......"We are going there for a couple of drinks "..... problems solved.....
    G26Raven, The Old Anglo and baren like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

VIP Member
    My dad taught me never to loan someone something you wouldn't give them as there is a likelihood you may never get it back. So no, I would not arm my neighbor. I am not the neighborhood armory, and if they aren't prepared enough to arm themselves beforehand, I darn sure don't want them to learn how to use it with my hardware and ammo.

The number of no and yes responses in the posts don't seem to correlate to the poll numbers.
    G26Raven and baren like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links