Security cam systems that work below 0 degrees F?

This is a discussion on Security cam systems that work below 0 degrees F? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Spokane1969 posted a thread regarding the security cam system he recently had installed. My wife and I have recently been thinking about buying a couple ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By CG11
  • 1 Post By Huski92
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By G26Raven

Thread: Security cam systems that work below 0 degrees F?

Spokane1969 posted a thread regarding the security cam system he recently had installed.

My wife and I have recently been thinking about buying a couple of cams but have found none that are listed to work below 0 degrees F. When I have questioned manufcturers all I get are vague answers about what will happen if the temperature drops below zero. Will the camera stop working permanently at that temperature, or will it stop working only until the temperature rises again? Nobody has been able to answer that question. We would prefer a wireless system, if possible. Here in Utah, we usually have at least a couple of nights each winter that are sub-zero. I've seen it 10 below, but a buddy who has lived here longer than I has seen it at 20 below.

If you have experience with a camera system that reliably works below 0 degrees, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you.
    CG11 and GpTom like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

I'm in Minnesota, and it gets way below zero for extended periods here, we hit -30 last winter, as far as I know the cameras work fine. I'll ask my neighbors what they use

Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    I'm in Minnesota, and it gets way below zero for extended periods here, we hit -30 last winter, as far as I know the cameras work fine. I'll ask my neighbors what they use
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Mine worked this last winter and it was definitely cold here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huski92 View Post
    Mine worked this last winter and it was definitely cold here
    What brand/model do you have and what temperature is "definitely cold"?

So far I have had poor luck with the offerings from a few years ago. Most failed to operate in high heat, and didn't do well in cold either. I will be interested in what really works as well. Good thread, G26Raven, those things are pricey and unreliable in my experience. The Simplisafe cameras do well if they are protected, but are not weatherproof.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    What brand/model do you have and what temperature is "definitely cold"?
    Raven, I lied to ya buddy. I checked with my wife and I donít think we had them last winter. Now Iím curious. We had a feel like temp of 50 below. So Iím wondering how mine will respond this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I always recommend wired camera's, since it's safer than a wireless type camera.

Here is a housing with heat for those extreme conditions.

P.S. I'm not affiliated with this company, just used them several times in the past.

Pro Security Warehouse - Product Details | SECUREMAX: CP-7153 | Housings - Outdoor Use | Housings & Mounts | PRO SECURITY WAREHOUSE

Quote Originally Posted by mobiless2 View Post
    I always recommend wired camera's, since it's safer than a wireless type camera.
    Here is a housing with heat for those extreme conditions.
    P.S. I'm not affiliated with this company, just used them several times in the past.

Pro Security Warehouse - Product Details | SECUREMAX: CP-7153 | Housings - Outdoor Use | Housings & Mounts | PRO SECURITY WAREHOUSE
    Looks like a quality housing, but it's for a bit larger camera than I envision for a home system. I am hoping to find something that is a bit more discrete, i.e., not as noticeable.

Senior Moderator
    Wireless is worse. More later.

I'd guess it is possible, for the right price. Kind of like life in general. Anything is possible, for the right price.
    G26Raven likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Huski92 View Post
    Raven, I lied to ya buddy. I checked with my wife and I donít think we had them last winter. Now Iím curious. We had a feel like temp of 50 below. So Iím wondering how mine will respond this winter.
    The camera won't feel like 50 below.
    Rock and Glock and G26Raven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Wireless is worse. More later.

I'd guess it is possible, for the right price. Kind of like life in general. Anything is possible, for the right price.
    I have no objection to spending more money, provided the equipment is good quality and has a reputation for performance. I have found through painful experience that going the cheap route to save a few dollars rarely makes sense in the long run.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    So far I have had poor luck with the offerings from a few years ago. Most failed to operate in high heat, and didn't do well in cold either. I will be interested in what really works as well. Good thread, G26Raven, those things are pricey and unreliable in my experience. The Simplisafe cameras do well if they are protected, but are not weatherproof.
    Nearly every time we left home I would check my indoor simplisafe cameras and they would say -"off line" They can only be reset by being there physically. I think it is caused by our wifi blinking on and off. For whatever reason they won't stay "on line." So I dropped the monitoring for them. I will sell both simplisafe cameras for half price.

Blink cameras are only off line as long as the wifi is off then they can be reset from anywhere. I have Blink cameras inside and outside my house and garage. They have worked good for years. I powered mine through USB cords and the batteries are backup power. I have them indoors and outside and in the detached garage.

GPTom, how low do the temperatures get in the winter where you live? If it gets below zero, how far below, and what happens to the cameras when it does?

Sponsored Links