Possible school shooting averted.

This is a discussion on Possible school shooting averted. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wonder just how credible the threat was. 16-year-old arrested for making shooting threat at Florida school A Florida high school student was arrested Thursday ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By SFury
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD

Thread: Possible school shooting averted.

I wonder just how credible the threat was.

16-year-old arrested for making shooting threat at Florida school

A Florida high school student was arrested Thursday after saying he would shoot up his school -- marking the latest scare just weeks after back-to-back mass shooting at a Texas Walmart and downtown Dayton, Ohio.

The St. Petersburg Police Department announced that the 16-year-old, whose name was not publicly released, is facing a felony charge of making a false report of a bomb or firearm to conduct bodily harm.

The threat was allegedly made during a class at Gibbs High School in Pinellas County. Each school site in that county has either a school resource officer or an armed school security officer on site, according to a letter from the county's school superintendent on the county's website.
    https://abc11.com/16-year-old-arrest...hool-/5537942/
    RETSUPT99 and buckwheatpaul like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member
    Regardless of credibility every threat to do harm to others needs to be investigated. This one was probably not credible, but the criminal charge might deter others from doing the same. However, I think anyone who makes such a threat is troubled and crying for an intervention. Hopefully, this intervention will end up helping the student,
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

This isn't an uncommon thing. High school kids are overly emotional. I agree that the threat level on this one was negligible.

For the most part, the schools work to keep these incidences quiet. I know that to be true from experience. I was even on watch once as the police were searching for a credible threat. A student with emotional problems had been reported both by other students, and his own mother, and trouble was averted. He never made it to the building, but it just strengthened my belief that we truly have no security. What was I going to realistically do against an armed threat when I was disarmed?
    NECCdude and msgt/ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Here's the irony and it's something I've been saying for years. When a school (or otherwise mass) shooting is averted, it's a great thing. But at the same time, it's a non-event as far as national news is concerned. You can't prove a hypothetical; that is, we can never say that "__ (number of) people had their lives saved today because a concealed carried dropped a wannabe mass shooter." Because it didn't actually happen, we'll never know. And again, that's a great thing.

But when a mass shooter is "successful," we get bombarded with more calls for gun control (which caused the problem in the first place), midnight vigils (useless), and a full lifetime biography of the shooter, giving him the infamy he wanted.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Sponsored Links