Pack attack: tactics?

This is a discussion on Pack attack: tactics? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think that there's a pretty high likelihood these kinds of attacks will spread, become all the rage within certain circles, much as the 'knockout ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: Pack attack: tactics?

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

I think that there's a pretty high likelihood these kinds of attacks will spread, become all the rage within certain circles, much as the 'knockout game' attacks did a few years ago.

You're out and about shopping, crossing a parking lot or out on your daily walk, your SA properly tuned, and you see one of these attacks setting up and heading your way. Have you given consideration to your tactics for dealing with a pack attack situation of perhaps 8-10 attackers?
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Draw your weapon, take a step back so you aren't seen as the aggressor by witnesses, have 911 on speed dial.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Name:  OC.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  152.6 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you that when I dealt w/ gang bangers on the street I would pick out the "pack leader" and focus my "attention" on him (or her in some cases). As a civilian I would try to avoid confronting any gangs at all costs! Typically once the "pack leader" is removed from the situation there tends to be a vacuum within the group which typically turns to violence in a struggle for power for retaking the gang leadership role. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sigh.

Once again, people think these street thugs are trained and motivated like a Spetsnaz assassination squad...that they’re going to press an attack if they take incoming fire, particularly if one (or more) gets taken out.

I really don’t find that assessment...realistic.
    Nix, jmf552, G-man* and 10 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Yup, Cuda66, they might if in a reasonably organized and established gang. Even at that, there are several stories of the BG fighting back, like the recent one involving a pair defending themselves against 5 armed attackers. It took over 30 rounds to drive those 5 off. It happens. Never underestimate your opponent. Prepare for the worst and you'll be more than ready for the average.
    M1911A1, firemanjoe and ETXhiker like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Hand in pocket (weak side) with a good grip on my 442 ready for a greased Lightening draw at the first sign that it is needed, empty the cylinder into the nearest BGs, then draw my 7 shot S&W 686+ loaded with Barnes TAC-XPD 125 grain 357 magnum hollowpoints from strong side owb and empty that cylinder into whoever is still advancing.

In a perfect world, that would work before I got shot, stabbed, or hit upside the head with a lead pipe. But as we all know, this is far from a perfect world.

But honestly, I'm not gonna waste my time worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Yup, Cuda66, they might if in a reasonably organized and established gang. Even at that, there are several stories of the BG fighting back, like the recent one involving a pair defending themselves against 5 armed attackers. It took over 30 rounds to drive those 5 off. It happens. Never underestimate your opponent. Prepare for the worst and you'll be more than ready for the average.

Where do you draw the line at “worst”?

Because if we go down that rabbit hole...why stop at 5? 10? 100?

Dread Cthulhu...perhaps we should be gearing up to fight an actual Spetsnaz assassination squad! With air support!

It gets rather silly, doesn’t it? Not very realistic threat assessment...

Which, let’s be honest—a determined “pack attack” isn’t very realistic, either.

Don’t get me wrong—carry what you like. If you need to have a 20+round blaster on your belt with 100 rounds as backup to feel safe...more power to you.

But don’t try to convince me that’s a based on realistic threats...that dog, as they say, does not hunt.
    G-man*, M1911A1, baren and 3 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    So, there you are and you sense that the gang attacker may be focused on you. You're in the middle of a not very busy parking lot, this group is heading toward you and you're a bit uncomfortable with the looks of the group. You make a course adjustment and so do they, still on an intercept course. You make another adjustment in your course and speed, so do they. At this point, are you going to try to position yourself with a vehicle, a wall or fence at your back to limit these apparent attackers to your front 180? Sprint back to your car, assuming you can sprint? Allow yourself to be surrounded in the open?

Yeah, totally hypothetical scenario and so many variables. Do you regularly consider various scenarios when you're out and about?
    Struckat likes this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    I think that there's a pretty high likelihood these kinds of attacks will spread, become all the rage within certain circles, much as the 'knockout game' attacks did a few years ago.

You're out and about shopping, crossing a parking lot or out on your daily walk, your SA properly tuned, and you see one of these attacks setting up and heading your way. Have you given consideration to your tactics for dealing with a pack attack situation of perhaps 8-10 attackers?
    It depends. Yes, I've given it considerable thought.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Another tactic I've heard being used in Minneapolis these days (likely elsewhere too) is being engaged in conversation by one person then quickly mobbed by a pack while distracted.

Avoiding a pack of teens after dark is prudent as soon as they're seen, but sometimes they're not in the open.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Yeah, I mean, it’s a possibility, but not likely.
    But that’s what you carry for.

The numbers are irrelevant to me, because as soon as I shoot the first one in the face, their game is no longer fun for them.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

If I think I am being targeted regardless of how many are involved I try really hard to be somewhere else as fast as I can. Using whatever is around me I would try to put barriers between me and those advancing. The very last worse case would be to lock eyes and advance on whoever appears to be in the lead and be ready because he will either blink or things are already past the blink stage.

A story:
    When I was a teenager I took a girl ice skating. The girl was trusting and very gentle. She also was a little slow and kids routinely made fun of her. While walking her home 3 guys began harassing us circling around us as we walked. I drew her with me as I angled off to the side of a house with a woodpile and backed her and myself in. I put her way at the back and turned to face the 3 who now thought they had us. That is when I held onto one skate and because the laces were tied together I swung the other over my head and advanced on them. They blinked and I finished walking her home.

Sounds heroic huh? Nah...I was scared chitless.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I guess I need to carry more mags. I'll probably need suspenders to keep my pants up.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

It's been my experience that street rats hunt in packs anyway. You should always plan for more than one assailant.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links