Don't play stupid games...

This is a discussion on Don't play stupid games... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Son-in-Law surprises homeowner and is shot dead. No charges filed. Don't play stupid games with Florida Man. https://news.yahoo.com/florida-man-s...231745155.html...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Don't play stupid games...

Son-in-Law surprises homeowner and is shot dead. No charges filed. Don't play stupid games with Florida Man.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-man-s...231745155.html
    OldChap, Struckat and scottync like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The homeowner is an idiot.

If he really was in fear, why the hell did he open the back door? Call the police and let them clear the yard.

He then fired without positively identifying his target.

Heís killed his son in law, and likely forever ruined his daughterís life.

Heís the kind of idiot that makes the rest of us look bad.

PS - I guess a .380 to the heart is nothing to laugh off
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Maybe he really did know who he was shooting at!
    Would make a great Columbo episode.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    That guy is crazy...that should be manslaughter.

And, I am not really impressed with the Sheriff.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

flh
    What happened to identifying your target

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

He's not being charged? Interesting.
    Struckat, ETXhiker and hogdaddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Maybe he really did know who he was shooting at!
    Would make a great Columbo episode.
    If we REALLY want to get into conspiracy theories..... what if the earlier argument with another relative had actually been staged, so that the home owner would appear to be "distraught" and "in fear?" And what if the home owner also somehow knew that the son-in-law, who he secretly hated, was coming to surprise him? And what if Russia was involved?!?!
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    If we REALLY want to get into conspiracy theories..... what if the earlier argument with another relative had actually been staged, so that the home owner would appear to be "distraught" and "in fear?" And what if the home owner also somehow knew that the son-in-law, who he secretly hated, was coming to surprise him? And what if Russia was involved?!?!
    YES, now you are onto something!
    Just try to fit aliens into your theory and I am all in.

Son in law should have put some more thought into his surprise in my opinion.
    M1911A1, OldVet, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

However this tragedy played out a family member is still dead. The homeowner had many other options other than deadly force. He will have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.

Shot placement over caliber.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I must say I am a bit surprised at some of the views expressed, particularly from some who have touted "personal space" being invaded and drawing to protect themselves. I guess a guy jumping out of the bushes--at night--is not reason to defend one's self. If that is the case, then little ole Dindo Nuthin jumping out from behind a car in the parking lot is not grounds for defending one's self either. As for going outside to begin with, my castle, my rules. If I want to investigate my property, I will investigate my property. And hold that thought while I grab a flashlight to identify whoever is jumping out of the bushes. What do they say? Crap happens in a hurry?

I think it was a hard decision for the DA, but the right decision.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I hate to agree with OV, but I do. If we were talking the exact same scenario, except...the guy jumping out of the bushes was a multiple murderer who had just broken out of prison, we would be hailing this as one of the great DGUs ever, whether he could ID his target or not. If I hear banging on my door, look out and see nothing, I am not going to call the police. If someone bangs on my door and runs off, what are the police gonna do when they arrive 15 minutes later?

I have a fenced in back yard also. No one should be knocking on my back door, ever. If someone does, I'm getting my gun. If look out and see no one, I may duck my head outside to see if I can see someone running off, so then I might have something to report to police. If someone jumps out at me suddenly, they are gonna be takin' rounds.
    OldChap and baren like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I must say I am a bit surprised at some of the views expressed, particularly from some who have touted "personal space" being invaded and drawing to protect themselves. I guess a guy jumping out of the bushes--at night--is not reason to defend one's self. If that is the case, then little ole Dindo Nuthin jumping out from behind a car in the parking lot is not grounds for defending one's self either. As for going outside to begin with, my castle, my rules. If I want to investigate my property, I will investigate my property. And hold that thought while I grab a flashlight to identify whoever is jumping out of the bushes. What do they say? Crap happens in a hurry?

I think it was a hard decision for the DA, but the right decision.
    The homeowner heard knocking/pounding on the back door. He had no idea who was out there.

It could have been three armed home invaders. Or a police officer chasing a suspect through back yards. Itís a tactical error to open the door, when you are safely inside your home, and step into the unknown. Itís not like he thought it might be an animal or something.

Your castle, your rules? Seriously?

What if itís the autistic kid down the street playing a prank on you? You going to gun him down?

You're in Florida...how about your old senile neighbor? Going to shoot him too?

The drunk across the street who tried to sneak back into the wrong house?

Sorry...you IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET. Period.
    OlCop likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I hate to agree with OV, but I do. If we were talking the exact same scenario, except...the guy jumping out of the bushes was a multiple murderer who had just broken out of prison, we would be hailing this as one of the great DGUs ever, whether he could ID his target or not. If I hear banging on my door, look out and see nothing, I am not going to call the police. If someone bangs on my door and runs off, what are the police gonna do when they arrive 15 minutes later?

They're going to clear your yard, and likely those of your neighbors, too.

I have a fenced in back yard also. No one should be knocking on my back door, ever. If someone does, I'm getting my gun. If look out and see no one, I may duck my head outside to see if I can see someone running off, so then I might have something to report to police. If someone jumps out at me suddenly, they are gonna be takin' rounds.
    Congratulations, you just shot the confused little old senile lady who wandered away from the nursing home down the road.

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET

Bullets cannot be recalled

Seriously, I cannot believe this is even a discussion

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links