Armed Security at Churches Is Becoming a New Normal

This is a discussion on Armed Security at Churches Is Becoming a New Normal within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see this more and more in the news , and members here on D.C. talking about this , disturbing... https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...aIyutlvqB0JP82 This November will be ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Armed Security at Churches Is Becoming a New Normal

I see this more and more in the news , and members here on D.C. talking about this , disturbing...

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...aIyutlvqB0JP82

This November will be the second anniversary of the deadliest church shooting in modern history: the ambush on tiny First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that killed 26 people. Since then, two US synagogues have also suffered deadly shootings, as have dozens of other public places.

This disturbing trend has made church security a new normal. Many congregations now have guards at doors and parking lots, security cameras monitoring entrances, and crisis procedures for staff and volunteers.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I see this more and more in the news , and members here on D.C. talking about this , disturbing...

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...aIyutlvqB0JP82

This November will be the second anniversary of the deadliest church shooting in modern history: the ambush on tiny First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that killed 26 people. Since then, two US synagogues have also suffered deadly shootings, as have dozens of other public places.

This disturbing trend has made church security a new normal. Many congregations now have guards at doors and parking lots, security cameras monitoring entrances, and crisis procedures for staff and volunteers.
    Even the Sanhedrin had Temple Guards

Distinguished Member
    I think modern religious belief has been to abhor violence so having guns in church hs become anathema in most congregations. I think that is misguided. There are time when the Old Testament ought to prevail over the New. I like an eye for an eye and a tooth for tooth thinking. You came to kill em and I will kill you. Nothing complicated or morally challenging about that. People overthink things and common sense fails when self preservation becomes debatable.
    Last edited by 1942bull; October 8th, 2019 at 11:38 AM.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    12000 member megachurch. I'll pass.
    Anyway why wouldn't church's have security?? I'm more bothered that it's not the norm and only now becoming more common.
    wmhawth, graydude, jmf552 and 2 others like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    This disturbing trend has made church security a new normal.
    Why is it disturbing to have people protecting others when those being protected are exercising their absolute least situational awareness and a lot of them are believing that they are being protected supernaturally? A congregation is often referred to as a flock.

Church violence is hardly anything new. Just because we are ignorant (intentionally, or not) of that fact doesn't make the fact less real. Not all the violence is in the form of mass shootings. Sometimes it is comparatively mundane domestic violence. Sometimes it is racial. Sometimes it is religious. Sometimes, it comes down to simple robbery. Just because it is a church or other place of worship doesn't mean that bad stuff won't happen there.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Our church has LEO in lobby all morning and who knows how many armed parishioners. No different than any other legal carry area here in CO.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Nehemiah 4:16-18
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

At my church they look like Secret Service on casual day. Easy to spot with their ear pieces. I am not sure of the numbers, but I counted 8 and know there were more. It would take a very determined attack to get into the main hall.

Security or not, I still position my family strategically. If something goes down, from the front or back of the room, I will see.
    We’ve had frank discussions on strategy. If the unlikely happens, I feel that we have a better chance than than the oblivious.
    The key is to not panic. Easier said than done, but we have gone over the what if’s many times. But we can never know how any of us will respond.

Sad, but I think it’s the highest risk place I go.
    OldChap, G26Raven, Gabill and 1 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Nehemiah 4:16-18
    Exactly! That and Nehemiah 4:9.
    simple_man17 and Sky Pilot like this.

I'm not sure how religious were allowed to get here but the Bible is explicit that the closer we get to the end of time and the darker the world gets the more Christians are going to be hated. The Bible says that there will come a time when people will murder Christians and think they're doing God a service. The Bible says to expect these things.

So if you accept the Bible as the word of God then the fact that churches are realizing that they need armed security shouldn't surprise you at all.

Church security has become an industry. There are consulting firms that do nothing but hold seminars on how to start a church security team or how to improve your church security team.

Churches have their own unique set of liability issues and there are insurance companies that specialize in underwriting insurance policies for churches.

I used to work for a security company that had a contract to provide 24/7 armed security for two churches that I'm aware of in Colorado Springs, maybe more.

New Life Church pays the city to have uniformed police officers on site before during and after their services. They also have their own volunteer security team.

I've never been to New Life Church and I don't know for sure that this is true but they're pretty big church (20000 plus) and I would be willing to bet that they have enough qualified people in their congregation that everybody on their team either is a cop or used to be a cop.

The church I attend has a volunteer security team. They are all uniformed (Black shirt with "Security Ministry embroidered on it) and they all carry photo ID so that they are easily identifiable.

I've also been in a couple of churches in which the "Security Ministry" consisted of one or two guys who appointed themselves to the position without telling anybody else in the church.

That is scary to me because they don't even know who else is on the "security team". They don't have a plan and they don't train together. In one instance I don't think the pastoral staff of the church even knows that they're doing it.

To paraphrase Tamara Keel, it's not so much that I carry a gun at church as it is that I make it my habit never leave my home unarmed and church just happens to be one of the places I go.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I think modern religious belief has been to aghopr violence so having guns in church hs become anathema in most congregations. I think that is misguided. There are time when the Old Testament ought to prevail over the New. I like an eye for an eye and a tooth for tooth thinking. You came to kill em and I will kill you. Nothing complicated or morally challenging about that. People overthink things and common sense fails when self preservation becomes debatable.
    Not in the south!

I've never understood the appeal of huge (10k+ members) churches. There is no possible way the pastor/preacher knows or even remembers 10% of the members.
    OldChap, Gabill and BamaT like this.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm not sure how religious were allowed to get here but the Bible is explicit that the closer we get to the end of time and the darker the world gets the more Christians are going to be hated. The Bible says that there will come a time when people will murder Christians and think they're doing God a service. The Bible says to expect these things.

So if you accept the Bible as the word of God then the fact that churches are realizing that they need armed security shouldn't surprise you at all.
    Only it isn't just Christians or Christian churches being attacked and the attacks at churches often are not because of Christianity.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    I'm all for an armed presence, whatever the venue. I don't find it troubling at all.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I am my own security when attending church.
    Once again we blow all out of proportion the threat we face in a church as compared to any other place we go.
    The chances of me getting shot in church is much less than other places I go to.
    I prepare myself no matter where I go church or shopping.
    airslot, Mike1956 and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I am my own security when attending church.
    Once again we blow all out of proportion the threat we face in a church as compared to any other place we go.
    The chances of me getting shot in church is much less than other places I go to.
    I prepare myself no matter where I go church or shopping.
    While the chances of being victimized in the parking lot of the church are as good as those other places.
    Struckat and BamaT like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links