Updated LDS guidelines on active shooters in church, & other incidents

This is a discussion on Updated LDS guidelines on active shooters in church, & other incidents within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that several of my LDS friends do not subscribe to these policies. Still, I am amazed at the church's policy of "run, hide, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Updated LDS guidelines on active shooters in church, & other incidents

I know that several of my LDS friends do not subscribe to these policies. Still, I am amazed at the church's policy of "run, hide, fight," especially here in Utah.

Active shooters at church, other incidents covered in updated LDS church security guidelines

ST. GEORGE – Due to “changing conditions around the world,” The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released updated security guidelines Thursday on what to do during an active shooter situation and otherwise dangerous and suspicious incidents at church.

...In relation to firearms in church buildings, LDS officials discouraged people from carrying firearms into church unless they were law enforcement officers as it was considered inappropriate otherwise. In August the church updated its policy to expressly forbid firearms from being brought into a building with the aforementioned exception.

....The church ask leaders and members to “run, hide or fight” in an active shooter situation. This practice has been employed by secular institutions and is further detailed on Ready.gov.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.XaRk9S2ZOF8
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

New Member Array mad88minutejohn's Avatar
    I'm LDS, and I do not subscribe. I fear it's my church getting political.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Being told not to carry in synagogue ended my attendance at synagogue. That policy was re-visited and changed when my continued absence was noticed by the congregation.

I would hope for a similar resolution for the Mormons.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mad88minutejohn View Post
    I'm LDS, and I do not subscribe. I fear it's my church getting political.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    I belong to the Union of Reform Judaism, which is officially anti-gun, and uber political. I don't subscribe to their policies, either.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Being told not to carry in synagogue ended my attendance at synagogue. That policy was re-visited and changed when my continued absence was noticed by the congregation.

I'm REALLY glad that it worked for you at your local level.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have family that are Seventh-Day Adventist, very strict and use to be extremely anti gun. One relative is a pastor at one of the larger churches and their whole family goes. I love these ppl and grew up one (SDA), however my beliefs as a young adult and now have changed to the Baptist believe.

Odd how back in the 1960’s the SDA were so anti-gun my older relatives refused to use a gun in the war. Now they have armed guards at the church (member that stand guard with guns) and many carry. Not picking on them, great ppl it’s just that geez, you can’t change Gods word to work out for your desires - this to me is why folks don’t trust religion, too many ppl taking the Word into their own hand.

David killed Goliath with propelled rock bullets, I believe God had a hand in that!
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I'm REALLY glad that it worked for you at your local level.
    Me, too, as are many in our congregation. When the board voted on the motion, there were a couple abstentions, but only one member was opposed. She was mad (and vocal) because she wrongly believed that their actions meant that her son could not legally carry on the premises.

Distinguished Member
    My policy is simple. Regardless of the type of institution, if it is gun free, it is free of me. The last thing I am going to be in my remaining life is a helpless target.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Empty coffers speak loudly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Empty coffers speak loudly.
    And empty seats.
    OldChap, OldVet and Wishoot like this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia Law says that you have to be given explicit (written) permission to carry at Church unless you are a LEO (or other anointed personage under GA Law). So, in GA if a Church says no it carries the weight of law.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Georgia Law says that you have to be given explicit (written) permission to carry at Church unless you are a LEO (or other anointed personage under GA Law). So, in GA if a Church says no it carries the weight of law.
    Same thing in Ohio.

Re: LDS's new policy; here is an, admittedly, third-hand account. Take from it what you will.

I have a relative who has been a church member for some time. She tells me that the word she gets through the grapevine from a couple of the higher placed leaders is that some of the new public policy is for public consumption. It seems the church is viewed by our government as a potential trouble source because their belief in self-sufficiency undermines the goal of dependency on government. Hence the effort to appear harmless.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Re: LDS's new policy; here is an, admittedly, third-hand account. Take from it what you will.

I have a relative who has been a church member for some time. She tells me that the word she gets through the grapevine from a couple of the higher placed leaders is that some of the new public policy is for public consumption. It seems the church is viewed by our government as a potential trouble source because their belief in self-sufficiency undermines the goal of dependency on government. Hence the effort to appear harmless.
    Ah, the old "Lure them in with the old Gun-free-zone" trick, eh?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post

That strategy would depend on the 6.6 million Mormons in the US staying on script.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links