Confrontations with bad guys

This is a discussion on Confrontations with bad guys within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a really interesting article from Greg Elifritz regarding interactions with potentially violent criminals. The most alarming part of this are the statistics on why ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Confrontations with bad guys

Here's a really interesting article from Greg Elifritz regarding interactions with potentially violent criminals. The most alarming part of this are the statistics on why criminals murder their victims in many cases.

Insults and Challenges- 5 Tips for Effective Verbalization During a Violent Encounter

The news story I read wasn’t all that remarkable. It described something that happens every day with unfortunate regularity. An armed robber shot one of his victims.

This particular story, however, yielded a worthwhile learning point. The robber walked into a store and fired a couple of shots from a rifle into the ceiling before demanding cash. The victim (a store manager) complied.

As she was handing over the money, she was still stunned by what was going on. She made a careless comment, saying “you’re not going to shoot me” to the robber.

The robber took those words as a challenge and shot her in the leg before taking the money and running from the store.

When asked by police if he felt any remorse, the robber replied that he did not. He blamed his actions on the victim, stating: “You don’t tell somebody that’s got a gun pointed at you that you’re not going to shoot them'”.....

.....There was an interesting study done in California a while back. It was reported in Michael Ghiglieri’s excellent book titled The Dark Side of Man. The researcher, David Luckenbill, studied all of the murderers in a California county over a 10-year period and asked them why they killed their victims. You would expect to see a variety of responses. You would be wrong. Every death row inmate interviewed listed one of only two reasons for killing….

34% said they killed because the victim challenged the killer’s authority

66% said they killed because the victim insulted them in some way

Read the whole very worthwhile article here:
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...se+Training%29

Some Language NSFW
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

VIP Member
    Violent criminals have ethics, morals and a code they live by, just like the rest of us. Break their rules, pay the price.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Violent criminals have ethics, morals and a code they live by, just like the rest of us. Break their rules, pay the price.
    The problem that people assume it's the same ethics and morals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    +1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    The problem that people assume it's the same ethics and morals.
    Yes, that is one problem. There are some others, as well.
    TimBob and airslot like this.

Really good advice in this article. His book is on the way from Amazon. Thank you Raven for sharing.
    G26Raven likes this.

While I agree with everything that has so far been written here, I must take exception to using the terms "ethics," "morals," and "code" as it refers to criminal behavior.
    Criminals, by definition, do not have ethics, or morals, or even a social code, when seen in comparison to the general society in which they live and operate.
    Criminal behavior is unethical, immoral, and anti-social (and sometimes even asocial), within any society.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

flh
    The best advice from the article ,

2) Get rid of the false bravado. Most criminals are masters at quickly judging people and using those snap judgements to manipulate them. They will see through your bluff and they may punish you for your attempt to challenge them.

The average person has never had a glimpse of the world they "bad guys" live in ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Advance techniques- blubbering and sobbing "Please don't hurt me!" as you complete your draw stroke...
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; October 22nd, 2019 at 12:09 AM.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Criminal behavior is unethical, immoral, and anti-social (and sometimes even asocial), within any society.
    Heavens to Rosa Parks, you might want to consider re-wording that -- especially in a pro-gun forum.

Does an ethical, moral, and socially responsible licensed person in Pennsylvania suddenly become an unethical, immoral, and anti-social person by accidentally crossing an imaginary line into New Jersey?

Distinguished Member
    There is only one time to be a tough guy. That is when you are going into or in the fight, Otherwise, it pays to be just go along and not stir things up. For me it would be fight or do not fight, and my behavior would coincide with the choice.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Well, what have we learned from this study of these creeps?

We have learned that they hold the tactical and strategic advantage in these encounters...we already knew that. We learned that we don't know what their triggers are as they vary...we already knew that. We learned that when we encounter one of these fools...for the most part, it is on us to make decisions on the fly that will give us the best chance to survive...we already knew that. And, I contend there are better ways to accomplish that than to get bogged down in thought trying to psycho analyze them to determine what their triggers might be...to survive...put distance between yourself and them...sometimes you will have to use your gun to accomplish that. Spend that valuable time at the beginning trying to determine the best way to get away from them.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 64
Size:  2.57 MB
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    While I agree with everything that has so far been written here, I must take exception to using the terms "ethics," "morals," and "code" as it refers to criminal behavior.
    Criminals, by definition, do not have ethics, or morals, or even a social code, when seen in comparison to the general society in which they live and operate.
    I'd liken it more to narcissism and lack of impulse control, which they try to justify by claiming it a code.
    But I've lived my life avoiding such types. The interactions between them and my wife usually have no more interaction than a cat dodging a vulture.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Well, what have we learned from this and 1000 similar studies of these creeps?

We have learned that they hold the tactical and strategic advantage in these encounters...we already knew that. We learned that we don't know what their triggers are as they vary...we already knew that. We learned that when we encounter one of these fools...for the most part, it is on us to make decisions on the fly that will give us the best chance to survive...we already knew that. And, I contend there are better ways to accomplish that than to get bogged down in thought trying to psycho analyze them to determine what their triggers might be...to survive...put distance between yourself and them...sometimes you will have to use your gun to accomplish that. Spend that valuable time at the beginning trying to determine the best way to get away from them.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 64
Size:  2.57 MB
    Exactly, after working as a detention deputy and living with the sunny side of humanity 8 hours a day all I can say is what some others say. The second you see a weapon shoot the SOB. Saying stuff like "maybe they just rob you and move on" is insane. Your life is on the line the second they have a weapon in hand or sooner. The biggest mistake we make is assuming our thought process has any resemblance to theirs. Fight for your life and forget the "analyze" crap.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    The best advice from the article ,

2) Get rid of the false bravado. Most criminals are masters at quickly judging people and using those snap judgements to manipulate them. They will see through your bluff and they may punish you for your attempt to challenge them.

The average person has never had a glimpse of the world they "bad guys" live in ...
    But what if it isn't false?
    AzQkr and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links