Defensive Carry banner

Societal breakdown in California. Is it coming?

15K views 239 replies 76 participants last post by  Conundrum 
#1 · (Edited)
This past weekend, one of my brother-in-laws called me to discuss handguns and what pistol he should purchase. When I asked him why he wanted to purchase a pistol, he stated that he thought there would be a societal breakdown in California within the year. This is a person who I do not think is a good candidate for owning a pistol (my wife feels the same way).

My wife and I discussed this situation at length. When I said that I thought this seemed somewhat unlikely, she responded that she did not. With the continued shutdown of the electrical grid in California whenever there is a high wind/low humidity event, her thinking is that there may be severe societal disruption should the power company be unable to restore power in a timely manner. I'm not an expert in electrical service, but certainly if that happened, the consequences could be serious. As she pointed out, if there is no power, and no way for a trucker to get fuel, I could see where truckers might be reluctant to make deliveries in California for fear of getting stuck. This could lead to a snowball effect of bad consequences.

Every day I hear about another bad event taking place in California I thank my stars we no longer live there.

#4 ·
Its really sad to watch. I have family in CA and my parents lived there for years when my father worked as an engineer for Lockheed-Martin in the 50s. Its not a place my parents would recognize. I can't imagine they would tolerate the current political climate that's engulfed the state.

I've enjoyed visiting San Diego and southern CA for brief periods.

#23 ·
The big cities are going to implode before I die. I'm 40 now, and I can see bad things coming. Faith was forced out in some areas, and the destruction that caused cannot be missed.

The only question is, is how will the implosion play out. Will it go the route of Mexico with open warfare in the streets with the government forces being weaker than the cartel/gang forces, or will they wither and die like Detroit?

#8 ·
The best thing you can do for someone that you do not think is a good candidate for owning a pistol is to suggest that he go to a gun range that has instructors and rental guns and get lessons and try various guns that they feel will work for him.

The reason I say that is that my one son decided (with his wife's consent because she has been avidly anti gun) that they NEED a gun for home protection. Their formerly nice upper middle class semi rural area has become dangerous, with crime at an unbelievably high level now.

We suggested a 20 ga. shotgun. He went to a range and got an 80 minute private lesson in gun safety and handling and then got to shoot 30 slugs from a 20 ga. He immediately felt it was all wrong in every way and the instructor agreed. Then I suggested a Shield 380EZ as the most user friendly and easiest to use that is not a .22, and he has another appointment next week at the same range for more private instruction and to try that gun. If it works for him he will follow up with an appointment for his wife. They MIGHT be able to step up to a 9mm. Maybe.

If he lived closer I could give him and his wife instructions, using our selection of various guns, but all in all this is the best way to go about it - for us and for them. They may find out on their own that no gun will work for them due to noise, recoil, etc. etc. He has been told that if he gets any kind of gun it will require plenty of practice to become proficient enough to be able to use it for home self defense. They have the funds for private instruction and rentals, so no problem in that regard.

In other words: Get yourself out of the picture!

#55 ·
The best thing you can do for someone that you do not think is a good candidate for owning a pistol is to suggest that he go to a gun range that has instructors and rental guns and get lessons and try various guns that they feel will work for him.

The reason I say that is that my one son decided (with his wife's consent because she has been avidly anti gun) that they NEED a gun for home protection. Their formerly nice upper middle class semi rural area has become dangerous, with crime at an unbelievably high level now.

We suggested a 20 ga. shotgun. He went to a range and got an 80 minute private lesson in gun safety and handling and then got to shoot 30 slugs from a 20 ga. He immediately felt it was all wrong in every way and the instructor agreed. Then I suggested a Shield 380EZ as the most user friendly and easiest to use that is not a .22, and he has another appointment next week at the same range for more private instruction and to try that gun. If it works for him he will follow up with an appointment for his wife. They MIGHT be able to step up to a 9mm. Maybe.

If he lived closer I could give him and his wife instructions, using our selection of various guns, but all in all this is the best way to go about it - for us and for them. They may find out on their own that no gun will work for them due to noise, recoil, etc. etc. He has been told that if he gets any kind of gun it will require plenty of practice to become proficient enough to be able to use it for home self defense. They have the funds for private instruction and rentals, so no problem in that regard.

In other words: Get yourself out of the picture!
Words of wisdom above! Life is too short to aggravate you and your wife with this narcissistic fool.

California is not alone......

Maine was in great shape under LePage, then Mills took over in 2016 with the Dems and they've spent money we don't have. The difference between us and CA is that we only have 1.3 million people, and probably represent .00001% of the USA GDP. The progressives see Maine as a cool place for a lake or mountain house, or both. Massachusetts plates are infecting us up here.

Yes, because California is "too big to fail"......

I think the 'plan' there is to practice deficit spending until the rest of the nation has to bail California out. Thanks.
This is a huge issue! Then a bunch of city/states will follow. Pension plan liabilities will trigger part of the tsunami.

I fear AZ will likewise be californicated.
Yep.

Wall it off and turn it into Thunderdome.
^^^ Where is the LOVE button?
Agree!

I have not been to California since my parents died in 2003 and 2004, and nothing I have seen on the news has been an improvement. In fact, it is all steadily downhill. It is cancer. It has failed. They just don't know it yet, and to be honest, probably don't care. The middle class is the victim, the back-bone.

Add prison and jail releases to salve the progressives, lighter sentencing, disarming police, and attacking the thin blue line. What more could you want?

#19 ·
#18 ·
Once Kalifornia goes bankrupt (and it is coming) and they don't get a bailout, things will go downhill rapidly. Most cities of any size (especially those being run into the ground by Dems) are experiencing a societal recession. As they absorb more and more deadbeats who do not contribute positively to society, the tax base decreases while entitlement increases, and society recedes.

Those who can get out of that trainwreck of a state should do so ASAP.

#22 ·
It won't do more than just delay it finding you, although that in itself is pretty attractive. I have done it myself. We have a "correction" coming and I believe its coming in 2020. Why? Because 2020 is a no win situation. By that I mean no matter who wins the Presidency the best case scenario is massive organized riots in the metro areas that will get pushed to violence. The worst case is much, much worse as the next one drags us into total Gov. control of every aspect of your life which obviously is another unsustainable scenario.

#24 ·
California's economy is expected to slow down. They have significant financial stressors. The wildfire risk seems to be a real problem, and the power outages are likely to hurt California's GDP. The tax structure is leading the wealthy, who can afford to move, to leave, impacting tax revenues. Prop 13 is having an impact as well. The population is stable, but expected to start to decline. There is a serious housing crisis in California, and homelessness is a real problem. So, yes, there are serious problems there.

But, Detroit it ain't.

#47 ·
Ca's problems are mostly self inflicted. We can grow enough food to feed most of the world, if the state would get their hands out of it. The fire problem is that the state has made the forests unusable. you can't harvest lumber, you can't cut a road, you can't build a new power line, etc.....Only 16% of the Gold in Ca has been dug up. But you can't dig in CA. We have areas that could support Geothermal power plants[ the ultimate Green power] , but the state won't allow power lines to be built to move that electricity. We need someone who will cut the regulation and allow us to go back to work!

All that could be fixed, I just don't see it happening in whats left of my lifetime! I'm getting out. I'm looking at places where I don't need a permit to cut firewood on my own property. And then have the State Tax me an extra Fire Fighting fee for living out of the city! DR

PS Prop 13 is not the problem, its that the State spends more than it takes in, and on really stupid things. there are three ways to balance any budget. Take in more money spend less money or both. CA discourages tax payers from making more, and an blows Billions on worthless projects that benefit no one but the politicians benefactors! DR

#26 ·
Good thread Raven, but it hurts my feelings and I’m outraged by these posts. We’re trying to create a perfect and fair society where everyone is equal whether they work or not...sarcasm off.

Actually you’re probably all right to some extent. I wish it wasn’t true. The entire nation is going the same way whether you realize it or not. Only a matter of time before our rat infested liberal cities fall.

#33 ·
So much for the “United” states. I don’t see where someone from Colorado has much room to gloat. Y’all need to sweep your own porch and stop blaming California for your problems. All of the people I know that have left love America, love freedom, and are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination.

#42 ·
The liberal infestation of Colorado and other states does not all come from California but California's become sort of the metaphor for it. Not everyone who transplants here from California brings rot and not all the rot comes from California. There's enough poison to go around. When a douchebag like Beto O'Rourke can run a close senatorial race with a politician like Ted Cruz in a supposedly red state like Texas the blinking warning signal lights ought to go on everywhere.

#34 ·
There are several families in my neighborhood who moved here from California because they couldn't afford to live there and wanted a safer place for their children to grow up. They had Hillary signs on the cars and in their yards.

#40 ·
I see it as well, and I'm continually astonished.

That said, we do have our fair share of political refugees, and they "get it".

But the fools who leave Cali and vote to make the new home the Neo Cali are beyond my comprehension. These are the same people who keep the coastal arrogance and rudeness and are so easily identified by their actions and tone, even when they are not wearing their west coast college shirts or wearing their west coast NFL team hats.

#36 ·
Every day I hear about another bad event taking place in California I thank my stars we no longer live there.

So many like me, natives of the once-Golden-State, sadly agree that we are relieved to no longer live there.

That said, I don't wish anyone bad things who happen to those who currently live there. I would rather see the voters somehow see what's happening and send the rascals out and pick the state up by the bootstraps.

Not likely? Perhaps, but do remember when Calif voters recalled a sitting Dem Gov (Davis) for malfeasance that pales to what the legislature apparently has in mind.

#51 ·
I would rather see the voters somehow see what's happening and send the rascals out and pick the state up by the bootstraps.
The state has been so horribly gerrymandered beyond all recognition that it was never likely to self-correct.

The implementation of the top-two primary put the nail in that coffin...

#38 ·
A breakdown is probably more likely to occur in Cali than any other state. $6/gal gasoline, blackouts, lots of issues there. Think Chile, a once very stable place, now disrupted by a relatively few.

#44 ·
Nix, not really, don’t want to shoot with him. He’s one of those people who focuses only on himself. Never calls to say hello, only when he wants something.

#48 ·
Back in the 30s my Grandparents family moved to Oregon out of the dustbowl of OK. That part of the family is from OK, TX, and AR. My Grandpa worked in the woods, drove a log truck, and worked his way down into northern CA, Eureka area and then over the hill to the Redding area.
There are a lot of families up there with the same story and they are all bitter clingers, so to speak. Don't tar all Californians with the same brush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.