Societal breakdown in California. Is it coming?

This is a discussion on Societal breakdown in California. Is it coming? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past weekend, one of my brother-in-laws called me to discuss handguns and what pistol he should purchase. When I asked him why he wanted ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Societal breakdown in California. Is it coming?

This past weekend, one of my brother-in-laws called me to discuss handguns and what pistol he should purchase. When I asked him why he wanted to purchase a pistol, he stated that he thought there would be a societal breakdown in California within the year. This is a person who I do not think is a good candidate for owning a pistol (my wife feels the same way).

My wife and I discussed this situation at length. When I said that I thought this seemed somewhat unlikely, she responded that she did not. With the continued shutdown of the electrical grid in California whenever there is a high wind/low humidity event, her thinking is that there may be severe societal disruption should the power company be unable to restore power in a timely manner. I'm not an expert in electrical service, but certainly if that happened, the consequences could be serious. As she pointed out, if there is no power, and no way for a trucker to get fuel, I could see where truckers might be reluctant to make deliveries in California for fear of getting stuck. This could lead to a snowball effect of bad consequences.

Every day I hear about another bad event taking place in California I thank my stars we no longer live there.
    Last edited by G26Raven; October 23rd, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
    scottync, Havok, OldChap and 17 others like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Wall it off and turn it into Thunderdome.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Well, if you feel that way...you need to go ahead and "red flag" that brother-in-law.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Its really sad to watch. I have family in CA and my parents lived there for years when my father worked as an engineer for Lockheed-Martin in the 50s. Its not a place my parents would recognize. I can't imagine they would tolerate the current political climate that's engulfed the state.

I've enjoyed visiting San Diego and southern CA for brief periods.
    G26Raven, DZUS, baren and 2 others like this.

Can I just say read your Bible and leave it at that?x
    Struckat, OldChap, G-man* and 6 others like this.

Nix
    Cali is messed up, but I don't think it's that messed up.

...for now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Can I just say read your Bible and leave it at that?x
    California is mentioned in the Bible?
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

VIP Member
    The best thing you can do for someone that you do not think is a good candidate for owning a pistol is to suggest that he go to a gun range that has instructors and rental guns and get lessons and try various guns that they feel will work for him.

The reason I say that is that my one son decided (with his wife's consent because she has been avidly anti gun) that they NEED a gun for home protection. Their formerly nice upper middle class semi rural area has become dangerous, with crime at an unbelievably high level now.

We suggested a 20 ga. shotgun. He went to a range and got an 80 minute private lesson in gun safety and handling and then got to shoot 30 slugs from a 20 ga. He immediately felt it was all wrong in every way and the instructor agreed. Then I suggested a Shield 380EZ as the most user friendly and easiest to use that is not a .22, and he has another appointment next week at the same range for more private instruction and to try that gun. If it works for him he will follow up with an appointment for his wife. They MIGHT be able to step up to a 9mm. Maybe.

If he lived closer I could give him and his wife instructions, using our selection of various guns, but all in all this is the best way to go about it - for us and for them. They may find out on their own that no gun will work for them due to noise, recoil, etc. etc. He has been told that if he gets any kind of gun it will require plenty of practice to become proficient enough to be able to use it for home self defense. They have the funds for private instruction and rentals, so no problem in that regard.

In other words: Get yourself out of the picture!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Nix
    @G26Raven , if I may ask, why do you think your brother-in-law should not have a firearm?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Movie or future documentary, you decide...

Societal breakdown in California. Is it coming?-escape-la.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Yup. “Sodom and Gomorrah” is code for California. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    @G26Raven , if I may ask, why do you think your brother-in-law should not have a firearm?
    Not something that should be discussed on a public forum in this brave new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    This is going to be my last comment because I think I'm already pushing the rule but California may not be mentioned in the bible but societal breakdown is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    This is going to be my last comment because I think I'm already pushing the rule but California may not be mentioned in the bible but societal breakdown is.
    Yep...it has happened around the world.
    CWOUSCG and gatorbait51 like this.

I don't think California will go with a bang. It will go with a low whimper followed by Oregon and Washington.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links