Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference - Page 3

Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

This is a discussion on Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just remember that bullet placement also involves depth of penetration as well. With the proper bullet I think the 9mm Kurz would serve well enough....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

Just remember that bullet placement also involves depth of penetration as well.

With the proper bullet I think the 9mm Kurz would serve well enough.
    G-man*, tns0038 and Instymp like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat",
    What’s your opinion?
    As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat", Yea maybe, but I have seen a man take as many as 5 rounds of .223 to the chest and stomach still kept on firing his AK until he bleed-out. Nothing is a sure thing.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A .22 ricocheted to the chest of President Reagan took 15 minutes to slow him down. He walked into the hospital on his own two feet, although collapsed right after that. Disabuse yourself of the notion that a .22 is a "fight stopper." Lethal, to be sure, but not a reliable fight stopper.
    Smitty, you’re right overall, but look at the other people in the president’s party who were shot. Police officer, SS agent, and the press secretary all went right down. You just never know ...

For my part, the biggest and most powerful caliber that you can shoot well and conceal is the way to go.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am much more concerned with good hits on vital areas than I am with caliber. The smallest caliber I carry is .280
    tns0038 likes this.

If I worried about caliber, I’d carry a Desert Eagle 50.

Name:  70334F8D-245D-4A28-AE7D-49702590F271.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  46.3 KB
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I am much more concerned with good hits on vital areas than I am with caliber. The smallest caliber I carry is .280
    .280 Rem is a fine caliber. I have never seen it in a pistol, however.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

As many other people have indubitably pointed out: It's where you hit, and how quickly you do it, rather than what you're hitting with.
    I'd rather use a .45, but I'm limited to a .380. That's OK—I 'm competent enough with it.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Just a food for thought comment from a person who has and still does carry a pocket 380, 38 snub, 45 acp and 357 magnum. Everyone crones "shot placement" which is true but, what is also true is "shot placement" is the hardest thing to obtain under stress with both moving in different directions and both trying not to be killed. Sounds good to just throw out "shot placement" with total disregard to how difficult that really is to manage in real life.
    There is a reason that I was taught to keep shooting until the threat stopped doing the threat regardless of your shot placement. Is it possible to make a CNS shot with a .380? It certainly is but, I am not hanging my hat on movie gunfighter accuracy, I am emptying the dang thing and looking to split soon after regardless of caliber.
    Last edited by forester58; November 1st, 2019 at 08:16 PM.
    LimaCharlie, SatCong, OD* and 4 others like this.

My order of importance.

1- Have a gun, any gun .
    2- Shot placement. (CNS)
    3- Penetration.
    4- Expansion.

That's the cliff notes version.

I want a reliable gun and I want to shoot the BG somewhere in the CNS and I want it to be able to penetrate deep enough. Expansion would be nice, but not really necessary.

If the caliber of handgun we carry can't do that , then it does make a big difference. That's my opinion. 😁

What others may consider an effective caliber is a matter of personal choice.

I like 38spl and 45acp for my carry pieces.

22lr? Might discourage a mugger. But to me, it's a plinking caliber, not a self defense round.
    forester58, tns0038 and ETXhiker like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I look for an appropriate caliber that fits the size and weight of the gun I intend to carry and my abilities. For example, I like 9mm, but only in something heavier than, say 22oz, not in a 12oz pocket gun.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    This is one of the better discussions on this topic I've seen

Really good video. Thanks for sharing.

Does caliber make a big difference? Maybe not, as long as its at least 9mm minimum.
    No reason for me to carry less than 9mm.
    I've been carrying a Glock 23 IWB as my primary plus a Shield 40 in pocket.
    If I switched to a Glock 19 IWB plus a Glock 43 in pocket, that would be fine.
    How about a Glock 30SF IWB plus a XDs 45 in my front pocket, that would be okay.

How about betting my life on 380? Nope. No thanks. Don't have to do that anymore.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I can personally testify that staring down a .45 bore can make one change one's intent in a heartbeat. Instant "Oh crap..." or something similar to that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ex Member
    A 380 or 38 in the face is better that a 45 in the arm.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links