Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference - Page 4

Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

This is a discussion on Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started off with a big old used .38 with a six inch barrel that would have done the job. I then went to carrying ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

I started off with a big old used .38 with a six inch barrel that would have done the job.

I then went to carrying a Taurus 9mm pistol before getting my Glock 19, which is my favorite handgun. And now I just bought a Taurus TH9C pistol cause I could.

So, for me anyway, 9mm is what I now trust for defense.
    Wolf357 and ETXhiker like this.

Being aware of your surroundings and bad guys; know where your exits are; and when and if the spam hits the fan .... shot placement will trump caliber. Just remember the harder the kick the harder to get a follow up round or more to be launched accurately. When ya pick the caliber and the gun then practice, practice, practice some more until it is second nature....
    tns0038 and M1911A1 like this.

Well, I don't worry about it. If little Daisy trees a lion, we're not stik'n around for photos.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't have a large stable but my carry guns are in the 9mm, .357/.38 flavor. I'm fairly proficient with all of them, load quality HP defensive ammo and carry in decent holsters, both leather and Kydex. I'll carry one for awhile, then switch. With the colder weather and heavier cover garment I'll even strap on the Model 28 now and then, certainly if I'm in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    This is one of the better discussions on this topic I've seen

The only thing I take issue with in this video is the assumption made about the .410 revolvers. Not only are they firing fewer projectiles (5 vs 9) than a traditional 12 gauge, but they are doing it from a much shorter barrel. Are five pellets at 900fps half as effective as nine at 1500 fps? I have serious doubts about that.

As far as "conventional" handguns go I have no real preference as to caliber. My carry choice is usually determined by what I am wearing except for very limited circumstances where it is more about action (revolver vs pistol) type.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Yes. I have different calibers for different tasks.
    9mm: Cheap ammo/range toys
    40 cal/357 Sig: Personal defense
    10mm/357 Mag/460 Rowland: Big game
    44 Mag: Piss off everyone at the indoor range

Back in the day they told the story of the Moros and the .38 S&W not working well when someone was coming at them with a really big knife. So they went back to the .45 and all felt better. Maybe some Moros didn't. Since hearing that I tend to go with bigger. Does it matter today? Who knows? There are so many variables and most don't use round nose bullets anymore and I don't know of anyone still using the .38 S&W for self defense. If someone is coming at you with a really big knife, you're going to empty whatever your carrying as fast as you can and hopefully as accurately as you can anyway while you are praying as hard as you can. What's the difference? It would take someone really good at detail work after the fact to do the math on whether it is would have been more advantageous to make bigger holes or more slightly smaller holes assuming they are coming close to the vital areas. Part of my brain wants bigger holes and part of it wants more holes???
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

I used to be one of those "never carry any caliber that doesn't start with a .4." Guys. Then I started to read the findings of people with orders of magnitude more knowledge and far better credentials than I have. People like Dr. Martin Fackler and Dr. Gary Roberts and Dr. Sydney Vail all of whom agree there's no significant difference in the performance characteristics of the three main service calibers.
    tns0038 likes this.

I absolutely agree that you should carry a gun in the largest caliber that you can shoot well and conceal well. That being said, if the best you can do is a Ruger LCR .22WMR, then good on ya. Practice and get proficient with it. I gar-own-tee that the person who has practiced and become skilled with that .22WMR is far more dangerous than someone who buys the latest 9mm micro and shoots a few boxes a year.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can personally testify that staring down a .45 bore can make one change one's intent in a heartbeat. Instant "Oh crap..." or something similar to that.
    I agree with your testimony about the size of the handgun making a difference. Particularly, when the Bad Guy has to look down the business end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I agree with your testimony about the size of the handgun making a difference. Particularly, when the Bad Guy has to look down the business end of it.
    IDK, I've had bad guys stare right at an M&P .40 and literally DARE me to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can personally testify that staring down a .45 bore can make one change one's intent in a heartbeat. Instant "Oh crap..." or something similar to that.
    You've broken into someone's house who owned a 1911, have you?
    Marc_Brooks likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    IDK, I've had bad guys stare right at an M&P .40 and literally DARE me to shoot them.
    But did they double-dog dare you?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I am much more concerned with good hits on vital areas than I am with caliber. The smallest caliber I carry is .280
    Who makes a .280?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You've broken into someone's house who owned a 1911, have you?
    No, high school stuff. Sore loser in a drag race. It saved him from getting a whooping after throwing a punch at me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links