Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

This is a discussion on Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a civilian, concealed weapons permit carrier, does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference? I like to carry different guns, ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference

As a civilian, concealed weapons permit carrier, does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference?

I like to carry different guns, when Iím off duty. And they range from a 1911 45, Browning Hi-Power 9mm down to a pocket carry pistol.

Living in Florida tropical heat, I seem to always come back to a pocket carry pistol in 9mm kurz.

And the reason for this is as a civilian, while we are out in the public our goal is NOT to stop the bank robber, mugging, convenient store robbery, etc, and act as the "police". It is to protect ourselves, and the ones we love.

As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat", and myself and my loved ones will be left alone.

Whatís your opinion?

I agree with you. All I'm concerned with is personal protection so I feel my Shield 9mm is enough. I've also thought that my 22c would probably be enough as I don't live in a war zone.
    KILTED COWBOY, tns0038 and Texron like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Shot placement over caliber to me.
    Even though I carry a .45 almost exclusively.
    And a back up .38

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I don't get too hung up on caliber.

When it gets colder and I can use shoulder holsters again I start carrying my Rossi 5 shot 44 SPL. Not because I think a carry caliber has to start with a 4 or only big bore will do. I carry the 5 shot 44 SPL because it fits my hand like a natural extension and I am very accurate with it.

When it's warmer I carry my LCR 38 and don't worry that I've "dropped" down in caliber.
    tns0038, Grizzly2 and ETXhiker like this.

Not an issue to me. Carry whatever you shoot well and that you enjoy shooting.
    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

VIP Member
    It makes a difference in how comfortable I am carrying it, and 45acp puts me at my highest comfort level.
    ETXhiker, MMinSC and DaGunny like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Not really, although there are some who believe it is, and try to project that on everyone else, itís really a lot of nonsense.

I make my choices based on a lot of different things, and gun style and platform get a priority, biased as it may be.
    I like classic guns, and have actually came to really dislike the modern stuff.

I like 1911ís and revolvers. I like lever actions over ARís. I like big bullets over small bullets.

But ill Iíll still stick a modern gun like a BG 380 in my pocket and go about my business.

I have no problem with the idea of pressing a 22 LR in to a SD role. Hell, I have been to places where I would have felt like a little 22 in my pocket was the hammer of Thor compared to what I had at the time.

The cottage industry of training and tactical ď expertsĒ have done a great job of taking money and dumbing down those who are prone to not think for themselves. Itís just one of the truisms that Capitalism hangs its hat on.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    For myself avoidance of stupid people, places and things goes along way in solving potential problems. I am also not into the carry rotation concept thus a S&W Shield 9X19mm 24/7.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Given the fact that most defensive uses of a gun do not require firing, even a BB gun would do most times. Most times all it takes is displaying the weapon, from simply lifting a shirt and grabbing hold to drawing. But that's not why we carry. Roughly a few thousand times out of the 2.5 million defensive uses of a gun each year merits pulling the trigger. According to Ellefritz (SIC??) caliber doesn't matter as long as it's a service caliber, from (power-wise) .380 to .44 magnum. Since the idea is conceal, pretty much anything you can conceal will work, but skip the .22 unless that's all you can deal with. But obviously that's not the case here. For most people (us civilians) that's something in the size range of a Shield, XDs, P365, etc. That is, a barrel of about 3-3.25 inches or so. The .22 CAN kill and CAN stop a threat, it stops the threat at a much lower rate than any of the centerfire calibers you can get.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Living in Florida tropical heat, I seem to always come back to a pocket carry pistol in 9mm kurz.
    Just couldn't bring yourself to say .380, could you?

I think much too much is made of caliber, when placement when, where, and as often as needed is more important. Every caliber has succeeded; every caliber has failed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This is one of the better discussions on this topic I've seen

Debating on a TX 22 (16 + 1 ) at a little over 1 lb. Just missed the $50 rebate last summer, when I first heard about it.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    $50 rebat now on S&W Shields.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

To a certain extent, no.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Moderator
    As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat", and myself and my loved ones will be left alone.
    A .22 ricocheted to the chest of President Reagan took 15 minutes to slow him down. He walked into the hospital on his own two feet, although collapsed right after that. Disabuse yourself of the notion that a .22 is a "fight stopper." Lethal, to be sure, but not a reliable fight stopper.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links