Home defense with children who don't lock doors

This is a discussion on Home defense with children who don't lock doors within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I teach a home defense class through my church. I have spoken with several families over the years that complain that their kids are their ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Home defense with children who don't lock doors

I teach a home defense class through my church. I have spoken with several families over the years that complain that their kids are their biggest weak point when it comes to a home defense plan because they leave doors unlocked frequently. Does anybody have tips on getting absent-minded kids and teenagers to lock doors consistently? What has your experience been and how did you solve it? Thanks in advance.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Wish I could help you, but we can't even get adults around here to lock their homes or cars, or put things away that are outside. Then, they complain about theft. The prevalent attitude is that "we never had to lock things up in the past," or "this is a small town, it shouldn't be that way." Kids are absent minded, but I bet they change their tune after their bike or something similar is stolen.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Do they make any door locks that are electronic and lock themselves when the door closes?
    Or just do what my father did when he wanted to change what I did.
    A big, fat, butt whoopin' till I did what he wanted me to do

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Everytime they dont lock the door take their electronics away for the day. It's not the kids its the parents.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

G26Raven: I too have a hard time convincing adults that they should lock their doors. I guess they haven't spent enough time in a major metropolitan city.

Kilted Cowboy: I will look into self-locking door knobs although the deadbolt wouldn't be able to get locked unless its one of those WIFI types you can use remotely.

Rabbit212: Good suggestion. I completely agree with you that it comes down to how the parents train their kids.
    Rabbit212 and G26Raven like this.
    Any Questions?

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Do they make any door locks that are electronic and lock themselves when the door closes?
    Or just do what my father did when he wanted to change what I did.
    A big, fat, butt whoopin' till I did what he wanted me to do
    Yup. I was a quick learner but in our house it was mom and was a knuckle rap to the head not the behind. In Spanish the knuckle to the head is called a "coscorron" and is up there with the dreaded "chancla" for discipline. Pro tip the coscorron bruise is covered by hair so no calls from the school.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

“The internet of things”. There are wireless door latches you can lock with an app. You’ve closed one security hole, but possibly opened another - now your doors can be hacked.

I’m with the parental discipline cadre. If you make forgetting painful, there will be no forgetting. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

rotorhead1026: I agree with your viewpoint. I tend to lean toward low-tech myself.
    Pete63, OldChap and rotorhead1026 like this.
    Any Questions?

Train and require the kids to lock up. It's that simple.

I've seen far too many parents who demand almost nothing of their children. One small instance was this year at a 4th of July Party. We had to coax the kids back outside to see the neighborhood firework finale. Upon the final burst they all went tearing back inside to get back on their electronics. As a guest I was left to do much of the work to clean up the mess from a lot of fireworks. I don't mind helping, but when I commented that the kids should come back out I got the response from several parents "yeah they're not coming out to help." Really mom and dad? I wonder why the kids won't help. Probably because they've catered to their every need and desire. This was also in the same household where I was left on their patio to eat a barbecue dinner alone because the whole family went their way and the dad (my friend) went inside to help his son complete a Lego project. Why invite me out if you're not going to dine with me?

rant over...LOCK YOUR DOORS

flh
    Raise children as a parent not your child's friend , it's a parents responsibility to teach the child what is expected of them ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Raise children as a parent not your child's friend , it's a parents responsibility to teach the child what is expected of them ...
    This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

They make self locking door knobs.

I mean I agree you need to discipline your kids but everybody makes mistakes. Self locking doors eliminate the mistakes

Shock collars work really good, they either lock the doors or move out.
    USN,NRA,

Kids do what they want when the parents are away. I came home very early one hot summer day to pick something up. My teenage children had several friends in the house. The rule was no friends unless a parent was there.

Every door and window was wide open. The air conditioner was set as low as possible. Kids start getting smart when they are around thirty years old.
    OldChap and airslot like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

So, let them get locked out a few times; they will soon remember. The pain of our mistakes is what makes the lessons memorable. Of course, it only works if they want to get in!

Raising kids gives parents an opportunity to set an example of improving / refining oneself. They can train themselves and the kids at the same time. It's a form of leadership and one of the steps in becoming a fully functional adult (IMO).
    OldChap, bmcgilvray and M1911A1 like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links