The Inside Story: Sutherland Springs, Texas

This is a discussion on The Inside Story: Sutherland Springs, Texas within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found an interesting article on Law Enforcement Today. This is the first time I've seen the hero of Sutherland Springs interviewed. He is pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: The Inside Story: Sutherland Springs, Texas

I found an interesting article on Law Enforcement Today. This is the first time I've seen the hero of Sutherland Springs interviewed. He is pretty open about some things we don't talk about much here on DC (forum rules) so be aware of that in reading, you will encounter some strong statements about faith. Still, it is interesting, and I thought a great read which gives some insight to some folks who always have a question about, "What would I do in such a situation?"

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...ust-responded/
    Last edited by OldChap; December 2nd, 2019 at 02:09 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Distinguished Member
    LOVE the title of the article:
    "Biden says hero who stopped Texas church massacre was wrong to have a gun. So we talked to that hero."
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

There are some excellent lessons there for all of us.

My first thought was that I need magazines in a very easily accessible location.

I also think at least one of those will be clearly loaded and marked M855. That allows you to deal with Level III armor - God forbid, should the need ever arise.

EDIT to ADD...Another lesson, be careful you choose another insane person to give you a ride when seconds count!

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    There are some excellent lesson there for all of us.

My first thought was that I need magazines in a very easily accessible location.

I also think at least one of those will be clearly loaded and marked M855. That allows you to deal with Level III armor - God forbid, should the need ever arise.
    Throughout the entire story he continues with one theme:
    "If you canít see Godís hand in all of this, youíre not looking."

Thanks for sharing the link!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Inspirational story, thanks for that OldChap.
    We all pray that we have the same courage to confront evil if we are ever put in a position to do so.

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    We All know what Crazy Joe is!. Kudo`s to the shooter!!!.

Takin' care of business Texas Style!

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Takin' care of business Texas Style!
    Not to pour cold water on your fire, but apparently NO ONE inside that church was prepared to take care of business "Texas style." And the hero had to go to his safe to arm himself.

Continue with the legend.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not to pour cold water on your fire, but apparently NO ONE inside that church was prepared to take care of business "Texas style." And the hero had to go to his safe to arm himself.

And not to rain on your parade brother, but what of the "Florida preparations" in the school massacre and the thrilling tale of the deputy who drank two cups of coffee and read the newspaper while listening to the gunfire and standing safely outside?

In any event - just me breaking the rule and poking the bear. Thank God for people who haven't been brainwashed to duck and cover in an active shooting - no matter where they live. We need more of 'em.
    CWOUSCG, M1911A1, airslot and 1 others like this.

And not to rain on your parade brother, but what of the "Florida preparations" in the school massacre and the thrilling tale of the deputy who drank two cups of coffee and read the newspaper while listening to the gunfire and standing safely outside?

In any event - just me breaking the rule and poking the bear. Thank God for people who haven't been brainwashed to duck and cover in an active shooting - no matter where they live. We need more of 'em.
    You don't see much braggadocio from FL folks in our mass shooting prep. After all, we have "ex-"sheriffs and deputies to handle that. Texas folks, on the other hand...
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thank you for that story, it was great!

Edited to add to the one uppers lol: yíall can have both Florida and Texas! Too hot, both states are way too hot for my blood. Iíd rather mosey back up Nawth with the Polocks and Germans, lots of homemade bread, beer and lots of snow!
    msgt/ret, airslot and OldChap like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Well we Texans are an acquired taste.
    Proud and boastful almost to the point of sinfulness.
    As the old saying goes.
    Never ask a man if he is from Texas, if he is, he will surely tell you.
    If he is not, why embarrass him. :)

On a side note, at the time of the shooting, it was still not legal to carry in a place of worship.
    That law has now just changed this year. So if you are planning a repeat, you may get a big surprise from now on.

Well we Texans are an acquired taste.
    Proud and boastful almost to the point of sinfulness.
    As the old saying goes.
    Never ask a man if he is from Texas, if he is, he will surely tell you.
    If he is not, why embarrass him. :)

On a side note, at the time of the shooting, it was still not legal to carry in a place of worship.
    That law has now just changed this year. So if you are planning a repeat, you may get a big surprise from now on.
    Just a note. It has been legal to carry with a CHL in church in Texas for a long time. The catch was people stopped reading the code when they came across that, but failed to read down a few more sections to the paragraph that stated that carry by CHL holders in church was legal. (My paraphrase) The new section of the penal code, recently passed, made it the responsibility of the church to post the appropriate legal signage if they wanted to restrict LTC carry in that building.

@OldVet IMHO nobody is doing an adequate job preparing for mass shootings - not anyone, anywhere in America. Not yet, anyway.

Just a note. It has been legal to carry in church in Texas for a long time. The catch was people stopped reading the code when they came across that, but failed to read down a few more sections to the paragraph that stated that carry by CHL holders in church was legal. (My paraphrase) The new section of the penal code, recently passed, made it the responsibility of the church to post the appropriate legal signage if they wanted to restrict carry in that building.
    Thanks for the clarification. Guess my reading comprehension sucks.
    Sure wish they would make laws that the average guy can understand without going through mental calisthenics.
    airslot, OldVet and OldChap like this.

Thanks for the clarification. Guess my reading comprehension sucks.
    Sure wish they would make laws that the average guy can understand without going through mental calisthenics.
    You and me both brother! I had an A.D.A. explain it to me a long time ago, when the subject came up. He admitted it was not the best "legal construction" - whatever that means.
    airslot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links