Bear Necessities: Black Bear Attack Stopped with .45 ACP - Page 2

Bear Necessities: Black Bear Attack Stopped with .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Bear Necessities: Black Bear Attack Stopped with .45 ACP within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jmf552 Based on the story, I don't see why he would be charged with reckless endangerment and unlawful discharge of a firearm, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Bear Necessities: Black Bear Attack Stopped with .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Based on the story, I don't see why he would be charged with reckless endangerment and unlawful discharge of a firearm, especially without further investigation.
    It's to prevent a potential lawsuit by the bear's family.
    G26Raven, airslot, Nix and 4 others like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    It's to prevent a potential lawsuit by the bear's family.
    It might be a 2A issue also. "...the right to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed."
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    I would imagine that not many of us would have a can of bear spray on us at a hotel. I suppose that could be something that we should have in order to stave off a dog attack also. But the can of bear spray that I have is humongous (8 oz). Can you imagine going to a store with a can of bear spray on your belt? I'm not sure if I could conceal this enormous can - especially in the summer. Also, keep an eye on the expiration date of the bear spray. Heh, good idea to carry a large caliber handgun as a backup.
    G26Raven and The Old Anglo like this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My Gatlinburg cousins have taken many black bears with a .22 Mag, although those were well-placed shots in the ear, not at a charging bear.
    G26Raven and 5lima30ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Gatlinburg is a tourist town. Hard telling what kind of policies they may have. It's actually listed as conservative.

LIVING EAST TENNESSEE
    COMMUNITY
    WATCH
    REPORT IT!
    AS SEEN ON
    ABOUT US
    Search
    BREAKING NEWS
    SEC: Jauan Jennings suspended for first half of Vols’ bowl game
    Man charged after shooting at bear in Gatlinburg
    NEWS
    by: WATE 6 staff

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 / 10:41 AM EST / Updated: Nov 11, 2019 / 10:15 AM EST

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – Gatlinburg police say a man is facing charges after he shot at a bear he said was charging at him at a local motel.

53-year-old Gregory Sapp, of Hixson, Tenn, is facing charges of illegal discharge of a weapon and reckless endangerment. Gatlinburg police officers were dispatched to the Motel 6 on Ownby Street around 11:30 p.m. Thursday where Sapp told them he fired six shots at a bear that was charging at him.

Footage of the scene appears to show a small trail of blood where the bear was shot.

Sapp told WATE’s Kirstie Crawford he was standing outside his room on the second-floor smoking a cigarette when he saw the bear standing on top of a trash can less than five feet away.

He said the bear started heading towards him after his dog barked, and he was afraid the bear was about to attack him or his dog.

Sapp has a license to carry and said that he used his .45 caliber handgun to shoot the bear.

He said he fired about five or six times before the bear ran away.

Sapp said that he told police he had two 16-oz beers before the incident. He said officers administered a field sobriety test, but did not test his blood alcohol content.

Locals living near the motel said that a bear visited the area often, looking for food, but it was never aggressive.

One local, Kaitlyn Barker, said that the bear had even been close to her and her dog before, but the bear simply ran across the street in the opposite direction.

“It actually already walked with a limp. You know, to me it was harmless, but you know, to others, it’s a frightening thing. It’s a risk coming down and there’s a bear 20 feet in front of you, what are you going to do? It’s a sad predicament,” Barker said.

The bear fled the area and could not be located as of 6 p.m. Friday. The Gatlinburg Police Department and the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency will continue their investigation into this matter.

TWRA officers said that if someone has a close encounter with a bear, the first thing they should do is look for an easy escape route, such as an easy place to take cover, a vehicle to retreat to, a stairwell to enter or a structure to go inside.

Once safe and away from the bear, they should call 911.

Officers said though that if a bear approaches you acting in an aggressive manner, and there is no escape route for you or the bear, “then acting in self-defense is understandable.”

This is a developing story and we’ll continue to update the details as they become available
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

a few days later - due in court Dec 4th

NEWS
    Hixson man claims black bear charged him at Gatlinburg hotel, forcing him to fire
    Greg Sapp and his wife were in Gatlinburg last week when he says he encountered a bear, forcing him to fire his gun.
    Monday, November 11th 2019, 11:20 PM EST by Jake Chapman
    Updated: Tuesday, November 12th 2019, 5:47 AM EST
    Play Video
    A Hixson man has been charged with illegal discharge of a firearm and reckless endangerment after shooting a bear outside a Gatlinburg motel last week.

Greg Sapp, 53, says he and his wife were in Gatlinburg last week visiting an old friend. He says he wished he didn't have to draw his weapon and harm the bear, but in the moment, he knew he had to react fast.

READ MORE | Hixson man fired 6 shots at bear in Gatlinburg hotel breezeway

Follow this story to get email or text alerts from WRCB when there is a future article following this storyline.
    Email address or Phone Number
    Follow this story
    "There was only one way to react, sir. And that was either that bear or me. I had no time to even move. If I even tried to turn, it would have got me,” Sapp said.

They got back to the motel late Thursday night after spending time in downtown Gatlinburg.

Sapp says he left the door cracked while he was outside his motel room smoking. While outside, he says he heard a strange, loud noise down the hallway corridor.

His dog, Pepper, came outside the room, turned the corner and started growling.

"I looked over and it was an enormous black bear. I mean, huge. As soon as that happened, that bear jumped. The back half of that can fell and then he charged me. I mean, full rage. I heard him,” Sapp said.

He says he drew his .45 caliber-handgun from his holster and fired six shots at the bear.

"I didn't miss. I heard the bullet. And there was a blood trail. Pretty nasty one too,” Sapp said.

Sapp says the Gatlinburg Police Department responded to the motel.

"I was in a state of shock. I had everybody yelling at me. I had people threatening me, and I was just scared to death,” Sapp said.

Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency (TWRA) officials say the bear ran into the woods and hasn't been found.

The TWRA said in a press release if Sapp's claims are true, they won't press any additional charges.

Sapp stands by his actions, but says he wishes he never had to harm the bear.

"Never in my life have I ever experienced anything so traumatic in my life. Ever,” Sapp said.

Sapp is due in court on December 4.

The TWRA and Gatlinburg Police Department are leading the investigation.

Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this developing story
    G26Raven and 5lima30ret like this.

Basically, because he didn't kill or wound the bear so badly it could be found, he's being charged with a crime.

Moral of the story, kill the animal and be free.
    G26Raven and Struckat like this.

They are all over that area & I bet he might regret that.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Moral of the story, kill the animal and be free.
    That, and don't carry an $1,800 handgun.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I know a full-grown male polar bear has been killed with a single-shot ,22 rifle, but I am not that brave or adventurous.
    did he choke on the barrel when chewing up the rifle? :)
    G26Raven, Nmuskier and Struckat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Lots of people get shot multiple times by handguns and continue to fight, based on what I've read. I don't have a hard time believing that part. Black bears can range in size from 126 pounds to over 500 pounds. And after all, .45 ACP is a puny round!
    Your last line says it all for me.
    G26Raven likes this.

Greg acted stupidly. It is his fault for leaving the door open and the dog loose. If the dog had been controlled in the room, Greg could have retreated into the room while the bear raided the garbage.
    G26Raven and Struckat like this.
    Psalm 144:1

"Some men are born in the wrong century..."

He'd probably be in the bar with the men from the hotel talking about shooting the bear back then. Now he's got to go to court and talk to the judge. I still wonder if we are missing something.
    G26Raven and rotorhead1026 like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    He shot seven or eight rounds of Federal HST .45 ACP at close range including the last three at three feet or less according to him and the bear ran off.
    Animals can be very tough.
    Two days ago, just outside Wickenburg, a large steer hit my 18-wheeler as i traveled on US60.
    The impact was at 60 mph. Destroyed the front of the VNL760 i was driving.
    I was the 2nd vehicle that impacted the steer.
    It was still standing, even wandered into traffic going the opposite direction.
    My tractor had to be towed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links