Hacker Accessed Family’s Ring Security Camera, Told Their 8-Year-Old Daughter He Was - Page 2

Hacker Accessed Family’s Ring Security Camera, Told Their 8-Year-Old Daughter He Was

This is a discussion on Hacker Accessed Family’s Ring Security Camera, Told Their 8-Year-Old Daughter He Was within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't disagree gentlemen. I work in an environment where IT security is paramount. We are required to change our passwords quarterly at a minimum ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Hacker Accessed Family’s Ring Security Camera, Told Their 8-Year-Old Daughter He Was

I don't disagree gentlemen. I work in an environment where IT security is paramount. We are required to change our passwords quarterly at a minimum and must be a minimum of 12 characters with numbers, caps and special characters included. My current password is 17 characters.

VIP Member
    I had to open an account with a new to me on line company the other day and they only allow passwords between 8 and 10 characters. That is not very secure by any definition. Actually, I think it was shopruger.com and they should know better than to limit people's security like that!

Could I have purchased the same thing elsewhere? Not exactly, but something almost identical for more money plus shipping. Probably should have done that.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I had to open an account with a new to me on line company the other day and they only allow passwords between 8 and 10 characters. That is not very secure by any definition. Actually, I think it was shopruger.com and they should know better than to limit people's security like that!

Could I have purchased the same thing elsewhere? Not exactly, but something almost identical for more money plus shipping. Probably should have done that.
    1. Open the account.
    2. Make your purchase.
    3. Don't save financial information appended to the account.
    4. Get item.
    5. Close account.

Repeat if you need something later from same vendor.
    ShooterGranny and GpTom like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And what is Alexa (and others) if not an eavesdropping device you invite into your home deliberately? "Oh, just listen to me when I want you to." Right. Full disclosure: we have one that came with a Sirius subscription, but it's unplugged when we're not listening to music. Doesn't mean we're invulnerable, it just limits our risk a bit.
    We unplugged our Alexa and it sat there "dead" until we got a phone call and it decided to start talking. It was getting power from a blue tooth speaker that we had used while the Alexa played music. So one gadget gets power over the airwaves from another even when it is unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    The news story is actually a bit unclear about how this happened. Ring said the family had weak account security and made a vague statement about reusing IDs and passwords before stating that you should use 2-factor authentication. It's unclear whether hackers may have guessed their ID/password, but if Ring is saying that their system isn't secure without 2-factor authentication, that's pretty lame. WPA2 protocol combined with a strong password should provide pretty good security, assuming that it isn't the NSA or Everyone (from Elementary) that's out to get you
    The security protocol for the wifi (WPA) had nothing to do with it. You can log in to your account over the web so you can talk to people through the cam. They used the same credentials on another site which had been compromised.

Ring doesn't mandate MFA because most users don't want it. My company produces software for the tax and accounting industry and many firms complain whenever we are required to mandate new security features.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    We unplugged our Alexa and it sat there "dead" until we got a phone call and it decided to start talking. It was getting power from a blue tooth speaker that we had used while the Alexa played music. So one gadget gets power over the airwaves from another even when it is unplugged.
    Really????
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

My wife tells me that it was the Bluetooth speaker that started talking.

Apparently, Ring's cameras are not considered very secure. Just google "ring camera security" and check the News tab.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/18/...acy-access-2fa
    msgt/ret likes this.

No wireless security systems for me. No "Alexa" listening devices either. I finally managed to shut down "Hey Google" on my cell phone. I don't use iPhones, so Seri wasn't an issue, but I would have shut it off also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Got an email from ring and they said that the people who were compromised had used the same password for everything and the password was not stolen from a ring device. Ring warned us to use different passwords for different things. Nobody can protect people who don't use good judgement when they need to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links