Prius Owners BEWARE!!!!!

Prius Owners BEWARE!!!!!

This is a discussion on Prius Owners BEWARE!!!!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had my Prius catalytic convert stolen Saturday night/Sunday morning. This morning there is a news report of a rash of Prius catalytic convert thefts. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Prius Owners BEWARE!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar

Prius Owners BEWARE!!!!!

I had my Prius catalytic convert stolen Saturday night/Sunday morning. This morning there is a news report of a rash of Prius catalytic convert thefts. Seems these converters are extra dense and worth from $350-850 apiece after removing the precious metals. If you live in CA, FL, NY or a few other states with dictatorial, abusive emissions laws you can ONLY use OEM converters, at $2,100 each. By the time you add the extras, you're paying $2500 or more to get the catalytic converter replaced. However, you can also preempt this theft with a product from Cap City Muffler.

Sadly, although we have a security camera, my wife was cleaning the area and, as usual, messed things up and it wasn't recording. I do have a suspect vehicle, a UHaul towing a light-colored car.

https://capcitymuffler.com/?olsPage=...-security-jx2g
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the warning. Don't own one but I know those who do and will pass it along.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

It is not just the Prius but catalytic converter thefts are up all over and precious metals prices platinum ($968/oz), palladium ($2027/oz) and rodium ($6400/oz) make them a very attractive target.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...re-You-At-Risk
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Yup, work at a car dealership in service. All converters are fair game, guess the Prius converters have more precious stuff in it.
    OldChap likes this.

I don't know of any "abusive" FL OEM replacement laws. We don't even have vehicles inspection or emission testing requirements.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    You lost me at Prius...
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know of any "abusive" FL OEM replacement laws. We don't even have vehicles inspection or emission testing requirements.
    That's good. I read an article that said multiple studies have been done to try to correlate states that require inspections with any reduction in accidents or safety and no study has been able to show a correlation. What studies have found is a lot of inspection fraud. Apparently it was fairly easy for researchers to be able to bribe inspectors to pass a car that did no meet specs to get them to pass it. Also, researchers taking the same cars, with the same problems, were more likely to get failed at shops that sold the parts and services to fix it than at shops that did not.
    OldVet and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    In my experience in the car business. I have found that the environmentally friendly cars, the ones that people buy to save money on gas, hybrids and electric in the long run cost them more money in the initial cost of buying them and the repairs when something goes wrong.
    People can buy whatever they choose, I do not care. But for me at this time I am sticking to the conventional cars. The MPG is getting better all the time.
    Like when that Smart car came out, that little shoe box only got a few MPG more that most bigger compacts, but the owner felt like he was saving the planet.
    I am still waiting for the Jetsons car though

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    "...I am still waiting for the Jetsons car though"
    And diving seacopters, and especially laser pistols.

Senior Moderator
    Damn. That stinks.
    OldChap and oldbadger like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It is not just the Prius but catalytic converter thefts are up all over and precious metals prices platinum ($968/oz), palladium ($2027/oz) and rodium ($6400/oz) make them a very attractive target.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...re-You-At-Risk
    My best guess is that there might be about $250 worth of Pt in a standard CC (@ 5-7 grams Pt/CC). Not all would be recoverable, and it's unlikely the thieves would do the recovery, so they would sell the CCs for a fraction of the value of the precious metal to an intermediary.

All that work and risk for such a teensy reward. A real job would be much more lucrative. (Although one suspects that these are druggies, and a real job would be out of the question.)

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    That's good. I read an article that said multiple studies have been done to try to correlate states that require inspections with any reduction in accidents or safety and no study has been able to show a correlation. What studies have found is a lot of inspection fraud. Apparently it was fairly easy for researchers to be able to bribe inspectors to pass a car that did no meet specs to get them to pass it. Also, researchers taking the same cars, with the same problems, were more likely to get failed at shops that sold the parts and services to fix it than at shops that did not.
    That was the exact problem when I was stationed in GA back in the '70s. Every other gas station was a state inspection station, and no matter what, no vehicle would pass without needing at least new wiper blades or headlight aiming. The state even went as far as to go around to inspection stations with a perfect vehicle, and they could not pass either. A lot of stations lost their licenses, but it didn't resolve the problem. I don't know what GA does now.

My first experience with "state" inspections was in FL back in the early '60s. They were run by the state, operated like a drive through, inspected brake function, lights, wipers, etc. Anything that didn't pass was noted and the driver had a certain amount of time to get repairs and return for a free follow-up inspection. The whole thing took maybe five minutes as I recall. Of course at that time there were no emission concerns to be tested.
    msgt/ret and railfancwb like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    We had a whole "inspection station" here that got closed up and the operators were sent to prison for that. They were the objects of a two year investigation. Several hundred thousand dollars worth of fraud, and the money was sent to....wait for it............

Pakistan
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Oh what a day, what a day!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    You lost me at Prius...
    It's what drunks do on their boots...
    Workaholic likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links