Gas mask for a loadout bag?

This is a discussion on Gas mask for a loadout bag? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have experience with gas masks? After seeing the events at the VA State Capitol, although it went off without a hitch this time, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Gas mask for a loadout bag?

Does anyone have experience with gas masks? After seeing the events at the VA State Capitol, although it went off without a hitch this time, it made me want to be more well prepared if I were to ever find myself at that sort of event. It seems that when big crowds assemble, there is lots of tear gas used to disperse those crowds. It seems that a reasonably priced gas mask that would save you from any sort of tear gas would be a good thing to have around. I did some research and found the Czech M10 gas mask. With shipping, it came out to around $35. I just ordered it, and we will see if it fiits. It comes with two brand new sealed filters.

When looking around, there are lots of old surplus masks that are just collectors items, maybe used for re-enactments of wars in the early 20th century. There are semi-modern masks that appear to be actually usable and priced right (like what I purchased), then there are the top dollar, ultra modern, high tech masks. As its something that I probably wont ever need, I went for the cheaper option. Every site says it is a novelty only, but with brand new filters that are still sealed, and a mask that was unissued surplus, it seems like it should at least work for something like tear gas? After research it appears the good masks are rated for "NBC", nuclear, biological, and chemical threats. I couldnt imagine a civilian needing any of that functionality, just needing a particulate filter that would filter out any sort of crowd dispersion implements.

The listing says it doesnt come with a case, but thats no big deal. I plan on putting it in a bad with my chest rig, belt setup, and medical equipment as sort of a go bag type of thing. Does anyone else here have a gas mask? If you do, and know about them, did I made a decent purchase? Will it work for what Im buying it for?

Heres a link to where I bought mine from. It is for sale all over the place, but all the other surplus stores really are trying to bend you over on the shipping costs. This place was a more reasonable cost.

https://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/product-p/140539.htm

Couple points I can add

1 . Most east block mask are useless or in some case dangrouse ... The mask you got if I remember is only rated for CS if that and filters are old and ?? on working even if they are sealed .Also note a number of Block mask have asbestos and other fun things as the filter in them ( mostly older russian mask) .In that same vain some older USA mask had chromium contimuation in them

2. Also note many mask are only rated for riot gas not the heavy stuff

I would get a Swiss or Isreal mask or one of the newer mask one that uses NATO 40MM threading and get a lot of newer canister that are rated for NBC .

And of course remmeber that many war gas will still kill you even with a mask on ...
    airslot likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Well the only thing Im interested in is riot gas. Maybe I will buy a new set of filters just to make sure they are good to go. Would be good to have a spare set anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Well the only thing Im interested in is riot gas. Maybe I will buy a new set of filters just to make sure they are good to go. Would be good to have a spare set anyway.
    They are a number of videos and artical on the internet that describe how to test them somewhat .. If I rememebr it is using bana flavoring or the like to test how good the filter it ..I am tired but it is something like that .

Frankly me I would spend the little extra and find a NATO mask that takes normal 40mm canister as that way it will cover more issues then just tear gas
    airslot and baren like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Yeah, watched a few videos and it seems the 40mm masks are the way to go. Oh well, at least after a bit more research it seems none of the M10 filters were ever made with asbestos or any other dangerous chemicals. It seems that as long as the charcoal isnt falling out, they are entirely safe. The white filters are got tear gas only, but you can get the grey filters that are NBC protection.

One of the main reasons I went with the M10 mask with the cheek filters is because they seemed way more low profile, and it would be easier to shoulder a rifle and see my sights. Do the big canisters get in the way when tryng to shoot?

Or just avoid riots.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My only experience with gas masks were the ones we were issued in RVN; they were extremely hot, uncomfortable and severally limited in peripheral vision especially using corrective lenses. When I was stationed at Travis as part of our chem warfare training we had to go through the gas chamber and the masks were effective in a CS gas environment.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    My only experience with gas masks were the ones we were issued in RVN; they were extremely hot, uncomfortable and severally limited in peripheral vision especially using corrective lenses. When I was stationed at Travis as part of our chem warfare training we had to go through the gas chamber and the masks were effective in a CS gas environment.
    Right up to the point they made you take it off.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    You talking about the old M17 mask? Yeah, they were awful. The corrective lenses could come out and poke you in the eye, it was a real pain to change filters.
    The one that came after that, with the big bubble visor and exterior screw on filter was huge improvement. You can find that one commercially all over the place. Actually, there's a huge variety of high grade masks available, if you've got a couple bills to spend.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Being exposed to gas during Basic Training and the smell of a skunk are 2 odors I'll never forget.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Isreal masks are the ones...…………...
    viney266 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Isreal masks are the ones...…………...
    I was going to chime in with the same. These masks were built to see duty and they work. They ALL suck to wear for more than 20 minutes. So, try wearing one (take the filter off) one night for just an hour straight...It's good "training"
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Yup, that rubber can be warm.....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Or just avoid riots.
    ^^^I'm in this camp!^^^ I've been exposed to several lifetimes worth of CS and Pepper spray both the military and LEO varieties! Count me out!
    msgt/ret, OlCop and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I can't imagine why anyone in his right mind would want to put themselves in a situation where a gas mask is necessary.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links