Do you carry in NPEs?

Do you carry in NPEs?

This is a discussion on Do you carry in NPEs? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Based on a recent post I did regarding an article on NPEs, I thought it would be interesting to see how many of our members ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry in NPEs where is is not against the law?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

56 75.68%
  • No.

9 12.16%
  • Other

9 12.16%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Do you carry in NPEs?

Do you carry in NPEs?

Based on a recent post I did regarding an article on NPEs, I thought it would be interesting to see how many of our members actually carry in NPEs. I am specifically not referring to places where it is illegal to do so, such as Federal buildings or airports, but places where there is no legal penalty in doing so unless you are discovered carrying and refuse to leave if asked to do so. For example, here in Utah, no firearms signs do not carry the force of law. But like many states, you could conceivably be prosecuted for trespassing if you refuse to vacate the premises.

According the the Bureau of Criminal Investigations in Utah, who issues CCWs, the state laws are:

As a permit holder, exactly where can I carry or not carry a handgun?
    The concealed firearm permit allows an individual to carry a firearm fully loaded and concealed. The permit also allows an individual to carry a firearm into public schools. Permit holders can not carry a firearm into federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area, federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities, law enforcement secured areas, a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted, any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law.

What about private businesses? Can they post signs prohibiting someone from carrying a gun into their business even though the person has a concealed firearms permit?
    Naturally, private property owners may apply whatever restrictions they want. Whether or not these restrictions violate one’s constitutional rights is for the civil courts to decide. But the only statutory restrictions on a permit holder are secured areas such as airports and federal buildings.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...ked-questions/

My question for today is, do you carry in NPEs?
    You are your own first responder.

JD
    Administrator
    Every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, I do. In VA at this point, "no gun" signs do not have the force of law. Like in a lot of other states, if you are detected carrying and asked to leave, and you refuse, it is a trespass violation, not a gun violation. So I carry concealed, no one has ever noticed, so they're happy and I'm happy.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It's not illegal to carry in the nonsecure area of an airport you just can't enter the secure area.

That said I carry in NPE every day
    G26Raven, airslot and duane_wade like this.

NO GUNs signs carry force of law here in North Carolina so I don’t take a chance.
    G26Raven, Pete63 and Wavygravy like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    NO GUNs signs carry force of law here in North Carolina so I don’t take a chance.
    What's the punishment for ignoring a gun buster sign?

VIP Member
    If it is at all possible to get what I want/need elsewhere, I do not go into buildings that are posted. Other than a few doctor's offices and our hospitals where I must disarm to enter, I stay away from places that have those "WELCOME CRIMINALS" signs!

I do not go to the US Post office. Hubby is not as concerned about being in unsafe places, so he is the "Post Office goer," and since you can buy stamps elsewhere and also send packages by other carriers, there is no need for me to be on the premises of a US Post Office.

In my state the signs, if they are printed and posted as prescribed by state law, do carry force of law. It is not a felony but in addition to a fine, you could lose your carry permit.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yes, every day.
    G26Raven, Pete63 and airslot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by APX-9M View Post
    What's the punishment for ignoring a gun buster sign?
    I have found the law but I am still researching the punishment.

G.S. 14-415.11Page 1§ 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a)Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
    (b)The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14-415.12. Thepermit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.
    (c)Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1)Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.2, 14-269.3, and 14-277.2
    (2)Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.4(6).
    (3)In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120-32.1.
    (4)In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law.
    (5)In a law enforcement or correctional facility
    .(6)In a building housing only State or federal offices.
    (7)In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
    (8)On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla..._14-415.11.pdf
    G26Raven, APX-9M, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    I voted "Other." I have been known on more than one occasion to enter an establishment, hand the manager one of my "no guns, no money" cards and walk out.

I had mine made, but they are available free from some sources.

The "on the back" part reads,

"Your "no gun" sign is bad for business. It does nothing to make you safer. It simply tells criminals you're an easy target and drives away good customers with a concealed carry license.

"Unlike most people, license holders have passed a criminal background check. Statistics show we are far more law-abiding than the general public. Our numbers are growing every day. We are ideal customers and will patronize your business if you let us. Remove your sign and I, my family, and many other gun owners will gladly return."
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have found the law but I am still researching the punishment.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla..._14-415.11.pdf
    I'm about a hour away from the NC border, and might move there if VA turns into DC, MD, NYC, etc... If the punishment is basically civil or a low level misdemeanor that just carries a small fine, I'd likely carry anyway... Concealed means concealed... Been carrying in antigun malls, movie theaters, restaurants, concerts, jobs, etc for years without being caught or having an issue. If the punishment is more serious or might result in the loss of my carry permit, then that's different. YMMV

VIP Member
    Yes, I carry always, unless posted. We have a sign here, which carries the force of law, (30:06), which I comepletely avoid, with respect to ANY travel I may do away from the house. The usual places others have mentioned. Since I ALWAYS plan/know where I'll be, I have NO issues. I'm very skilled in avoiding "POSTED" area's!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Signs in ILLinois carry farce of Law......I carry in most !!! Sorry
    G26Raven likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Quote Originally Posted by BCC73 View Post
    Signs in ILLinois carry farce of Law......I carry in most !!! Sorry
    Was that an intentional typo?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by g26raven View Post
    was that an intentional typo?
    you bet !!!!
    G26Raven and viney266 like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links